    Yes, I have a card reader.
    What I need is the USB info.
    Thanks, mike
    mike, Sep 25, 2006

  2. mike

    Matt Ion Guest

    http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
    Matt Ion, Sep 25, 2006

  3. mike

    mike Guest

    Matt Ion wrote:
    > mike wrote:
    >
    >> Need Pinout for USB cable for Kodak DC280
    >> Need to build a cable.
    >> Yes, I have the serial pinout.
    >> Yes, I have a card reader.
    >> What I need is the USB info.
    >> Thanks, mike

    > http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

    Thanks,

    When I asked for the USB pinout for a Kodak DC280,
    I should have been clear that I wanted the pinout
    for the end that plugs into the camera.
    It appears that it shares the mini-DIN-8 serial
    connector.

    mike
    mike, Sep 25, 2006
  4. mike

    Matt Ion Guest

    mike wrote:
    > Matt Ion wrote:
    >
    >> mike wrote:
    >>
    >>> Need Pinout for USB cable for Kodak DC280
    >>> Need to build a cable.
    >>> Yes, I have the serial pinout.
    >>> Yes, I have a card reader.
    >>> What I need is the USB info.
    >>> Thanks, mike

    >> http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

    > Thanks,
    >
    > When I asked for the USB pinout for a Kodak DC280,
    > I should have been clear that I wanted the pinout
    > for the end that plugs into the camera.
    > It appears that it shares the mini-DIN-8 serial
    > connector.

    Well that's just crazy design... the whole point of USB (well, part of it
    anyway) is to get away from needing a plethora of proprietary connectors for
    everything (I'm still amazed it took celphone makers so long to use a standard
    USB plug for phone software - I've got a half-dozen different cables for a
    half-dozen different phones, three of them the same brand).

    Sorry, don't think I can help ya there, then... I'd call up Kodak and give them
    an earful...

    FWIW, I googled "kodak dc280 usb pinouts" and got a ton of hits - including one
    at the site above - showing the actual pinouts of the DIN plug, but all them
    appear to connect to a standard DB9 serial port (which was a lot more common
    "back in the day"). You can't connect that directly into a USB port, however -
    you'd need to use a USB-to-DB9 serial adapter, which typically have, I believe,
    some sort of buffer circuitry - they're not just straight-through wires.
    Matt Ion, Sep 25, 2006
  5. mike

    mike Guest

    Matt Ion wrote:
    > mike wrote:
    >
    >> Matt Ion wrote:

    >>> http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> When I asked for the USB pinout for a Kodak DC280,
    >> I should have been clear that I wanted the pinout
    >> for the end that plugs into the camera.
    >> It appears that it shares the mini-DIN-8 serial
    >> connector.

    > Well that's just crazy design... the whole point of USB (well, part of
    > it anyway) is to get away from needing a plethora of proprietary
    > connectors for everything (I'm still amazed it took celphone makers so
    > long to use a standard USB plug for phone software - I've got a
    > half-dozen different cables for a half-dozen different phones, three of
    > them the same brand).
    >
    > Sorry, don't think I can help ya there, then... I'd call up Kodak and
    > give them an earful...
    >
    > FWIW, I googled "kodak dc280 usb pinouts" and got a ton of hits -
    > including one at the site above - showing the actual pinouts of the DIN
    > plug, but all them appear to connect to a standard DB9 serial port
    > (which was a lot more common "back in the day"). You can't connect that
    > directly into a USB port, however - you'd need to use a USB-to-DB9
    > serial adapter, which typically have, I believe, some sort of buffer
    > circuitry - they're not just straight-through wires.

    Dunno what to tell you. I know how to use a search engine and wouldn't
    have asked here if I had found the answer.

    There are unused pins on the serial socket. Maybe other pins are usb.

    I have also had cameras that used the same pins and somehow detected
    which protocol you wanted.

    I'm too lazy to reverse engineer it when
    anyone with the camera could tell from an ohm-meter and the supplied usb
    cable. I'm betting there ain't nothin' but wire and plugs.
    mike
    mike, Sep 25, 2006
  6. mike

    Fred Martin Guest

    Fred Martin, Sep 25, 2006
  7. mike

    Jimmy Guest

    Jimmy, Sep 25, 2006
  8. mike

    Jimmy Guest

    >> Thanks, mike

    > For $20+ shipping you can have a new one. Can you build for much less
    > than this?
    > http://kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier....kuID=S364&Visible=false&navCategory=EKN006595

    The Kodak cable item #8112690 works on the following models:
    DC220
    DC240
    DC260
    DC265
    DC280
    DC290
    DC3400
    DC5000

    Found this one at B&H for $12.95+ shipping. Please note the mfgr number is
    the same as the Kodak number so it should fit.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...code=cii_12483&A=ShowProduct&Q=&O=&sku=214685
    Jimmy, Sep 25, 2006
  9. mike

    Matt Ion Guest

    mike wrote:
    > Matt Ion wrote:
    >
    >> mike wrote:

    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> When I asked for the USB pinout for a Kodak DC280,
    >>> I should have been clear that I wanted the pinout
    >>> for the end that plugs into the camera.
    >>> It appears that it shares the mini-DIN-8 serial
    >>> connector.

    >> Well that's just crazy design... the whole point of USB (well, part of
    >> it anyway) is to get away from needing a plethora of proprietary
    >> connectors for everything (I'm still amazed it took celphone makers so
    >> long to use a standard USB plug for phone software - I've got a
    >> half-dozen different cables for a half-dozen different phones, three
    >> of them the same brand).
    >>
    >> Sorry, don't think I can help ya there, then... I'd call up Kodak and
    >> give them an earful...
    >>
    >> FWIW, I googled "kodak dc280 usb pinouts" and got a ton of hits -
    >> including one at the site above - showing the actual pinouts of the
    >> DIN plug, but all them appear to connect to a standard DB9 serial port
    >> (which was a lot more common "back in the day"). You can't connect
    >> that directly into a USB port, however - you'd need to use a
    >> USB-to-DB9 serial adapter, which typically have, I believe, some sort
    >> of buffer circuitry - they're not just straight-through wires.

    > Dunno what to tell you. I know how to use a search engine and wouldn't
    > have asked here if I had found the answer.

    Well, search results can vary widely depending on the terms used. I found your
    answer right there: http://pinouts.ru/DevicesCables/kodak_serial_pinout.shtml

    > There are unused pins on the serial socket. Maybe other pins are usb.

    I doubt it... the DC280 is an older camera, from the early days of USB... the
    fact that it comes with a DB9 cable is telling.

    > I have also had cameras that used the same pins and somehow detected
    > which protocol you wanted.

    Well, maybe the DC280 does too then. Wire it up and see. The link above shows
    you the ground, Tx and Rx pins on the camera plug; the earlier link shows the
    pins on a USB connector. I claim no repsonsibility if your camera and/or USB
    hub go up in smoke.
    Matt Ion, Sep 25, 2006
  10. mike

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Mike,

    I believe this is what you need. Let me know if you have questions.

    USB port specifications are as follows:
    a.. Full-speed, 12 Mbps signalling.
    b.. Bulk data transfers.
    c.. Pin configuration:
    Pin No. Pin Name Signal Description
    1 USB Vcc USB supply voltage from hub
    2 DTR RS-232 Data Terminal Ready
    3 TxD RS-232 Transmit Data
    4 GND Ground
    5 RxD RS-232 Receive Data
    6 USB D+ USB data (non-inverted)
    7 NC No connection (used as key)
    8 USB D- USB data (inverted)

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Sep 25, 2006
  11. mike

    mike Guest

    Jimmy wrote:
    >>>Thanks, mike

    >>For $20+ shipping you can have a new one. Can you build for much less
    >>than this?
    >>http://kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier....kuID=S364&Visible=false&navCategory=EKN006595
    >>

    > The Kodak cable item #8112690 works on the following models:
    > DC220
    > DC240
    > DC260
    > DC265
    > DC280
    > DC290
    > DC3400
    > DC5000
    >

    > Found this one at B&H for $12.95+ shipping. Please note the mfgr number is
    > the same as the Kodak number so it should fit.
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...code=cii_12483&A=ShowProduct&Q=&O=&sku=214685

    I'm not gonna spend $13+ on a cable for a dollar camera.
    And yes, I can build it for ZERO incremental expense.
    But I need to know which USB wires go to which pins on the Mini-DIN-8.

    Thank you very much for all the advice. Would also be nice to have
    an answer to my question. Indications are that this cable came with
    each and every of the hundreds of thousands of cameras sold. Somebody
    with an ohmmeter oughta have one.

    It's not about taking pictures. I gots lots o better ways to do that.
    It's about building a cable.

    I hate to be bitchy, but if someone asked a similar question and I had
    the cable, It would be quicker for me to get out the ohmmeter and
    email them the answer, which I would do, than to go searching the web
    for purchased cables.

    Thanks, mike
    mike, Sep 25, 2006
  12. mike

    mike Guest

    Matt Ion wrote:
    > mike wrote:
    >
    >> Matt Ion wrote:

    >>> Well that's just crazy design... the whole point of USB (well, part
    >>> of it anyway) is to get away from needing a plethora of proprietary
    >>> connectors for everything (I'm still amazed it took celphone makers
    >>> so long to use a standard USB plug for phone software - I've got a
    >>> half-dozen different cables for a half-dozen different phones, three
    >>> of them the same brand).
    >>>
    >>> Sorry, don't think I can help ya there, then... I'd call up Kodak and
    >>> give them an earful...
    >>>
    >>> FWIW, I googled "kodak dc280 usb pinouts" and got a ton of hits -
    >>> including one at the site above - showing the actual pinouts of the
    >>> DIN plug, but all them appear to connect to a standard DB9 serial
    >>> port (which was a lot more common "back in the day"). You can't
    >>> connect that directly into a USB port, however - you'd need to use a
    >>> USB-to-DB9 serial adapter, which typically have, I believe, some sort
    >>> of buffer circuitry - they're not just straight-through wires.

    >> Dunno what to tell you. I know how to use a search engine and wouldn't
    >> have asked here if I had found the answer.

    > Well, search results can vary widely depending on the terms used. I
    > found your answer right there:
    > http://pinouts.ru/DevicesCables/kodak_serial_pinout.shtml

    Ok, let's recalibrate.
    My original request was six lines, including the closing.
    Line three, repeated here just in case you missed it...
    "Yes, I have the serial pinout."
    It came from exactly the same page you and others have posted.
    What part of "I have the serial pinout" did I fail to adequately
    describe????
    Just in case I haven't been clear, "I HAVE THE SERIAL PINOUT!!!"
    What I need is the pinout for the USB part of the socket.
    Admitedly that part of the request was buried way down on line 5.

    >> There are unused pins on the serial socket. Maybe other pins are usb.

    > I doubt it... the DC280 is an older camera, from the early days of
    > USB... the fact that it comes with a DB9 cable is telling.

    You're welcome to an opinion...sometimes facts are more helpful.
    Here's a quote from an early review
    found here: http://www.digitaldtp.com/HTM/Reviews/kodakDC280.htm

    "The DC280 comes with both serial and USB cables which both use the same
    camera port."

    So, my request for information is based on input from someone who has
    actually seen/touched/reviewed the camera in question.

    Yes, I am frustrated by my continued inability to pose a question
    that elicits an answer I can use.
    mike

    >> I have also had cameras that used the same pins and somehow detected
    >> which protocol you wanted.

    > Well, maybe the DC280 does too then. Wire it up and see. The link above
    > shows you the ground, Tx and Rx pins on the camera plug; the earlier
    > link shows the pins on a USB connector. I claim no repsonsibility if
    > your camera and/or USB hub go up in smoke.

    Yep, that's why I asked the question...in hope that someone would have
    an actual answer...
    mike
    mike, Sep 25, 2006
  13. mike

    Jimmy Guest

    > I hate to be bitchy, but if someone asked a similar question and I had
    > the cable, It would be quicker for me to get out the ohmmeter and
    > email them the answer, which I would do, than to go searching the web
    > for purchased cables.
    >
    > Thanks, mike

    Mike, sorry for having wasted your time... and mine.
    Jimmy, Sep 26, 2006