Need Outdoor Backdrop Advise

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Don, Jul 3, 2005.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    I need to take a lot of motorcycle photos for an event I will be involved
    with. I've taken a bunch of motorcycle photos in the past, but have never
    used a backdrop. I have usually been able to find a bit of shrubery etc, to
    make a nice natural backdrop, but this location doesn't offer that. It's in
    a parking lot. I tested out a 10x20 backdrop that I rented for the weekend,
    it seems to work fairly well, but I need some advise. I wnt to be able to do
    this more than once, hopefully many times.

    1) Should I buy the backdrop supports and all that or would I be able to get
    something more sturdy, by just making something. Some plastic buckets filled
    with cement and conduit to fit together etc. Any web resources on
    constuction of something like this?

    2) The 10x20 was nearly large enough when stretched horizontially.
    Horizontal was fine, with plenty of room. It was high enough when I had it
    as just as a backdrop and just folded down against the cement sidewalk. The
    sidewalk was rather crappy looking, so I lowered the vertical backdrop
    height and ran some under the bike. 10' vertical (about 7 ft vertical and 3
    feet under bike) was barely enough to fit behind the bike and rider standing
    behind. The background pattern was easy to clone in the areas that it didn't
    cover, just above the head on the background and just in front of the bike
    on the foreground. I want to shoot a bunch of bikes with as little Photoshop
    editing as possible. Would I need to sew two 10x20' backround together to
    get the effect I want? Do they need to be sewn? I would imagine the one on
    the ground could get pretty dirty. Would some sort of other material work
    better on the ground? Painted plywood etc?

    3) How does text and logos work on a backdrop? I would imagine it would be
    better to setup a template in a graphics app like CorelDraw and drop in all
    these elements around the motorcycle, with the ability to move some elements
    as needed based on bike position. Any pros and cons to this?

    Thanks
    Don

    Don, Jul 3, 2005

  2. Don

    Sheldon Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message
    >I need to take a lot of motorcycle photos for an event I will be involved
    > with. I've taken a bunch of motorcycle photos in the past, but have never
    > used a backdrop. I have usually been able to find a bit of shrubery etc,
    > make a nice natural backdrop, but this location doesn't offer that. It's
    > in
    > a parking lot. I tested out a 10x20 backdrop that I rented for the
    > weekend,
    > it seems to work fairly well, but I need some advise. I wnt to be able to
    > do
    > this more than once, hopefully many times.
    >
    > 1) Should I buy the backdrop supports and all that or would I be able to
    > get
    > something more sturdy, by just making something. Some plastic buckets
    > filled
    > with cement and conduit to fit together etc. Any web resources on
    > constuction of something like this?
    >
    > 2) The 10x20 was nearly large enough when stretched horizontially.
    > Horizontal was fine, with plenty of room. It was high enough when I had it
    > as just as a backdrop and just folded down against the cement sidewalk.
    > The
    > sidewalk was rather crappy looking, so I lowered the vertical backdrop
    > height and ran some under the bike. 10' vertical (about 7 ft vertical and
    > 3
    > feet under bike) was barely enough to fit behind the bike and rider
    > standing
    > behind. The background pattern was easy to clone in the areas that it
    > didn't
    > cover, just above the head on the background and just in front of the bike
    > on the foreground. I want to shoot a bunch of bikes with as little
    > Photoshop
    > editing as possible. Would I need to sew two 10x20' backround together to
    > get the effect I want? Do they need to be sewn? I would imagine the one on
    > the ground could get pretty dirty. Would some sort of other material work
    > better on the ground? Painted plywood etc?
    >
    > 3) How does text and logos work on a backdrop? I would imagine it would be
    > better to setup a template in a graphics app like CorelDraw and drop in
    > all
    > these elements around the motorcycle, with the ability to move some
    > elements
    > as needed based on bike position. Any pros and cons to this?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Don

    I don't know what lenses you have, but if you can get the bike far enough
    away from whatever is in the background and use a wide aperture the creative
    blur might make a great background. Another idea would be to do it at night
    and use a flash (tricky if the bike has a lot of chrome on it). And yet a
    third idea is to get a little height on the photo and use the parking lot as
    a background. Either way is a lot easier than trying to put together a
    seamless background outside.

    Sheldon, Jul 3, 2005