    Zilbandy - Tucson, Arizona USA <>
    Dead Suburban's Home Page: http://zilbandy.com/suburb/
    PGP Public Key: http://zilbandy.com/pgpkey.htm
    Zilbandy, Mar 31, 2006

  2. Zilbandy wrote:
    > I've been using SlimBrowser as my Windows browser, but it uses the IE
    > engine. Would Opera Browser provide decent security for browsing? It's
    > getting old fiddling with Microsoft security fixes. :(

    Microsoft stopped providing necessary security fixed since autumn '01.
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Mar 31, 2006

  3. Zilbandy

    optikl Guest

    Zilbandy wrote:
    > I've been using SlimBrowser as my Windows browser, but it uses the IE
    > engine. Would Opera Browser provide decent security for browsing? It's
    > getting old fiddling with Microsoft security fixes. :(

    I have problems rendering some web pages using Opera. I prefer Firefox
    as an alternative to IE. Obviously, Opera is well designed from a
    security standpoint. I just find it frustrating to use as a general
    purpose browser.
    optikl, Apr 1, 2006
  4. Zilbandy

    jp10558 Guest

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:19:55 -0700, Zilbandy wrote:

    > I've been using SlimBrowser as my Windows browser, but it uses the IE
    > engine. Would Opera Browser provide decent security for browsing? It's
    > getting old fiddling with Microsoft security fixes. :(

    Opera is not really an IE replacement as it doesn't do ActiveX. That said,
    neither is any other browser.

    For general browsing it's pretty good, I use it exclusively. That said,
    it's less supported than other browsers by many/most web sites. However,
    most WC3 sites will work in it, and they are constantly improving it - v9
    is set (whenever it does come out - weeklies only right now) to fix several
    long standing bugs and missing feature support (RTE comes to mind).

    As it's free, and has a really good web forum and newsgroup, I'd suggest
    giving it a try - all you could lose is time.

    Some gotchas - Right now, Google seems to come out with stuff that does not
    support Opera till a ways in - GMAIL took like 6 months to get bugs worked
    out between Opera and google.

    No NTLM support

    Does not support SOCKS proxies.

    Currnet IMAP support is sketchy sometimes.

    E-mail client does not support *sending* HTML e-mail, currently Opera ASA
    has a philosophical disagreement with sending HTML mail... might take them
    years to get over it, or v9 might support it, who knows.

    E-Mail does not use folders, but entirely database driven + filters - is
    somewhat strange to most people who are used to say Eudora.

    You cannot put anything on the menu bar - but you can remove the menu bar,
    and recreate it on another toolbar. You cannot right click or middle click
    on menu items. So no right clicking on bookmarks from the bookmarks menu.

    No built in adblocking GUI, or support for anything but proxy solutions -
    this is set to change in v9 though.

    If these are showstoppers, I've saved you some time.
    jp10558, Apr 1, 2006
  5. On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:19:55 -0700, Zilbandy
    <> wrote:

    >I've been using SlimBrowser as my Windows browser, but it uses the IE
    >engine. Would Opera Browser provide decent security for browsing? It's
    >getting old fiddling with Microsoft security fixes. :(

    I regard Opera as more secure than IE and it is certainly worthwhile
    switching IMHO. Although I have Opera and also Mozilla Firefox
    installed and often use them but my preference is for K-Meleon
    http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/.
    --

    John
    John Morrison, Apr 1, 2006
  6. jp10558 wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:19:55 -0700, Zilbandy wrote:
    >
    >> I've been using SlimBrowser as my Windows browser, but it uses the IE
    >> engine. Would Opera Browser provide decent security for browsing? It's
    >> getting old fiddling with Microsoft security fixes. :(

    > Opera is not really an IE replacement as it doesn't do ActiveX.

    You don't want ActiveX on the intarweb.

    > That said, neither is any other browser.

    Wrong, Mozilla has optional ActiveX support even with certain MIDL
    interfaces.

    > GMAIL took like 6 months to get bugs worked
    > out between Opera and google.

    You don't want GMail, except you're just hyped as well.

    > No NTLM support

    No need for that.

    > Does not support SOCKS proxies.

    It does.

    > E-mail client does not support *sending* HTML e-mail,

    This is a good thing.

    > currently Opera ASA has a philosophical disagreement with
    > sending HTML mail... might take them
    > years to get over it, or v9 might support it, who knows.

    Why should they? HTML bastard mails are simply evil.
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Apr 1, 2006
  7. Zilbandy

    donnie Guest

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:35:00 -0500, jp10558 <>
    wrote:

    >Opera is not really an IE replacement as it doesn't do ActiveX.

    #############################
    That's fine w/ me. I always blocked CaptiveX anyway.
    donnie, Apr 1, 2006
  8. Zilbandy

    jp10558 Guest

    On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 03:32:57 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

    > jp10558 wrote:
    >> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:19:55 -0700, Zilbandy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been using SlimBrowser as my Windows browser, but it uses the IE
    >>> engine. Would Opera Browser provide decent security for browsing? It's
    >>> getting old fiddling with Microsoft security fixes. :(

    >> Opera is not really an IE replacement as it doesn't do ActiveX.

    > You don't want ActiveX on the intarweb.
    >
    >> That said, neither is any other browser.

    > Wrong, Mozilla has optional ActiveX support even with certain MIDL
    > interfaces.

    Well, if you want to be technical - Opera does have a neptune plugin which
    supports ActiveX. But they don't do it natively, or really "support" it as
    a company.

    >> GMAIL took like 6 months to get bugs worked
    >> out between Opera and google.

    > You don't want GMail, except you're just hyped as well.

    True, but you wouldn't believe the # of people complaining on the Opera
    forums about GMail.

    >> No NTLM support

    > No need for that.

    Many corporate users require that to get online.

    >> Does not support SOCKS proxies.

    > It does.

    Please, tell me - how do you get Opera to use a SOCKS proxy?
    jp10558, Apr 2, 2006
  9. jp10558 wrote:

    >> Wrong, Mozilla has optional ActiveX support even with certain MIDL
    >> interfaces.

    > Well, if you want to be technical - Opera does have a neptune plugin which
    > supports ActiveX. But they don't do it natively, or really "support" it as
    > a company.

    And ActiveX on IE is nearby unusable. Your point being? :)

    >>> No NTLM support

    >> No need for that.

    > Many corporate users require that to get online.

    You can do Digest Authentication or GSS Kerberos as well.

    >>> Does not support SOCKS proxies.

    >> It does.
    >>

    > Please, tell me - how do you get Opera to use a SOCKS proxy?

    Sorry, just thinking about 9 Beta. Right, Opera 8 does not support SOCKS
    without any external tools.
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Apr 2, 2006
  10. Zilbandy

    Guest