    the -12V is at 4.01V. Is it new power supply time?

    Bios power monitoring shows similar readings...

    Machine seems stable though...

    Craig Sutton, May 17, 2004

  2. On Tue, 18 May 2004 01:33:49 +1200, "Craig Sutton" <>
    wrote:

    >Just checking my brother pc, put on some monitoring software to check the
    >voltages etc on the motherboard etc. I notice the +12V is reading 16.32V and
    >the -12V is at 4.01V. Is it new power supply time?
    >
    >Bios power monitoring shows similar readings...
    >
    >Machine seems stable though...

    Most Monitoring software can be unreliable if it does not match the PC Board
    correctly, go get a cheap DVM..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 17, 2004

  3. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "The GHOST of WOGER." <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 18 May 2004 01:33:49 +1200, "Craig Sutton"

    <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Just checking my brother pc, put on some monitoring software to check the
    > >voltages etc on the motherboard etc. I notice the +12V is reading 16.32V

    and
    > >the -12V is at 4.01V. Is it new power supply time?
    > >
    > >Bios power monitoring shows similar readings...
    > >
    > >Machine seems stable though...
    > >

    > Most Monitoring software can be unreliable if it does not match the PC

    Board
    > correctly, go get a cheap DVM..

    But matches with what the bios is showing..must be a fault

    Craig Sutton, May 17, 2004
  4. Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Just checking my brother pc, put on some monitoring software to check
    > the voltages etc on the motherboard etc. I notice the +12V is reading
    > 16.32V and the -12V is at 4.01V. Is it new power supply time?
    >
    > Bios power monitoring shows similar readings...
    >
    > Machine seems stable though...

    System couldn't be running at those voltages - must be a sensor fault. (You
    could check the voltages with a multimeter)

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, May 17, 2004
  5. Craig Sutton

    EMB Guest

    In news:c8akpk$3ui$,
    Craig Sutton <> expelled:

    > But matches with what the bios is showing..must be a fault

    Software & bios use the same sensors. Most likely to be a fault in the
    sensor rather than the PSU.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, May 17, 2004
  6. Craig Sutton

    colinco Guest

    In article <c8b3oo$bcc$>,
    says...
    > System couldn't be running at those voltages - must be a sensor fault. (You
    > could check the voltages with a multimeter)

    System probably doesn't use -12V, the only things using +12V without
    further regulation are drive motors but yes - sensor fault most likely.

    colinco, May 17, 2004
  7. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > In news:c8akpk$3ui$,
    > Craig Sutton <> expelled:
    >
    >> But matches with what the bios is showing..must be a fault

    > Software & bios use the same sensors. Most likely to be a fault in
    > the sensor rather than the PSU.

    What EMB said. You really need to go to DSE and spend $20 on a cheap DVM. I
    finally found the cash and it's good knowing exactly what the voltages are.
    As it turned out, my software/monitoring chip was reading correctly but at
    least I was able to confirm it.

    Bought this little cheap thing, a UNI-T UT20B, cost $20 and does an adequate
    job for testing PSU voltages.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 17, 2004
  8. Craig Sutton

    PC Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > EMB wrote:
    > > In news:c8akpk$3ui$,
    > > Craig Sutton <> expelled:
    > >
    > >> But matches with what the bios is showing..must be a fault

    > > Software & bios use the same sensors. Most likely to be a fault in
    > > the sensor rather than the PSU.

    > What EMB said. You really need to go to DSE and spend $20 on a cheap DVM.

    > finally found the cash and it's good knowing exactly what the voltages

    are.
    > As it turned out, my software/monitoring chip was reading correctly but at
    > least I was able to confirm it.
    >
    > Bought this little cheap thing, a UNI-T UT20B, cost $20 and does an

    adequate
    > job for testing PSU voltages.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Available at the momment for $9.80

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/40a942f2088fd15c2742c0a87f99072a/Product/View/Q1469

    PC, May 17, 2004
  9. In article <c8af07$m1$>,
    says...
    > Just checking my brother pc, put on some monitoring software to check the
    > voltages etc on the motherboard etc. I notice the +12V is reading 16.32V and
    > the -12V is at 4.01V. Is it new power supply time?
    >
    > Bios power monitoring shows similar readings...
    >
    > Machine seems stable though...

    Double check with a good multimeter. Take readings under load, not from
    an unloaded supply.

    Patrick Dunford, May 18, 2004
  10. In article <c8akpk$3ui$>,
    says...

    > "The GHOST of WOGER." <> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 18 May 2004 01:33:49 +1200, "Craig Sutton"

    > <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Just checking my brother pc, put on some monitoring software to check the
    > > >voltages etc on the motherboard etc. I notice the +12V is reading 16.32V

    > and
    > > >the -12V is at 4.01V. Is it new power supply time?
    > > >
    > > >Bios power monitoring shows similar readings...
    > > >
    > > >Machine seems stable though...
    > > >

    > > Most Monitoring software can be unreliable if it does not match the PC

    > Board
    > > correctly, go get a cheap DVM..
    > >

    > But matches with what the bios is showing..must be a fault

    The first thing to eliminate is a faulty voltage sensor.

    Patrick Dunford, May 18, 2004
  11. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> EMB wrote:
    >>> In news:c8akpk$3ui$,
    >>> Craig Sutton <> expelled:

    >>> Software & bios use the same sensors. Most likely to be a fault in
    >>> the sensor rather than the PSU.

    >> What EMB said. You really need to go to DSE and spend $20 on a cheap
    >> DVM. I finally found the cash and it's good knowing exactly what the
    >> voltages are. As it turned out, my software/monitoring chip was
    >> reading correctly but at least I was able to confirm it.
    >>
    >> Bought this little cheap thing, a UNI-T UT20B, cost $20 and does an
    >> adequate job for testing PSU voltages.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > Available at the momment for $9.80

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/40a942f2088fd15c2742c0a87f99072a
    /Product/View/Q1469

    Bugger! I paid $20 for mine a month ago. I *Hate* that!
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 18, 2004
  12. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > In article <c8af07$m1$>,
    > says...
    > > Just checking my brother pc, put on some monitoring software to check

    the
    > > voltages etc on the motherboard etc. I notice the +12V is reading 16.32V

    and
    > > the -12V is at 4.01V. Is it new power supply time?
    > >
    > > Bios power monitoring shows similar readings...
    > >
    > > Machine seems stable though...

    > Double check with a good multimeter. Take readings under load, not from
    > an unloaded supply.

    I wouldn't know where to begin in taking such measurements, where would i
    measure the -12v and +12v from

    Craig Sutton, May 18, 2004
  13. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <c8af07$m1$>,
    >> says...
    >>> Just checking my brother pc, put on some monitoring software to
    >>> check the voltages etc on the motherboard etc. I notice the +12V is
    >>> reading 16.32V and the -12V is at 4.01V. Is it new power supply
    >>> time?
    >>>
    >>> Bios power monitoring shows similar readings...
    >>>
    >>> Machine seems stable though...

    >> Double check with a good multimeter. Take readings under load, not
    >> from an unloaded supply.

    > I wouldn't know where to begin in taking such measurements, where
    > would i measure the -12v and +12v from

    This might help:

    http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/atx_on.gif

    Just stick the probes down the side of the wires with the PC under load.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 18, 2004
  14. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >> "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <c8af07$m1$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> Double check with a good multimeter. Take readings under load, not
    >>> from an unloaded supply.

    >> I wouldn't know where to begin in taking such measurements, where
    >> would i measure the -12v and +12v from

    > This might help:
    >
    > http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/atx_on.gif
    >
    > Just stick the probes down the side of the wires with the PC under
    > load.

    I should have added from the top of the connector. Most mobo manuals have a
    schematic similar to this one anyway. Put the black probe on a common
    (black) or earth wire and the red probe on whatever you want to test.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 18, 2004
  15. In article <c8c1qi$rvo$>,
    says...

    > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <c8af07$m1$>,
    > > says...
    > > > Just checking my brother pc, put on some monitoring software to check

    > the
    > > > voltages etc on the motherboard etc. I notice the +12V is reading 16.32V

    > and
    > > > the -12V is at 4.01V. Is it new power supply time?
    > > >
    > > > Bios power monitoring shows similar readings...
    > > >
    > > > Machine seems stable though...

    > > Double check with a good multimeter. Take readings under load, not from
    > > an unloaded supply.

    > I wouldn't know where to begin in taking such measurements, where would i
    > measure the -12v and +12v from

    Look in your board's manual for details of where voltages can be SAFELY
    measured on the board. (Not a risk that you are going to zap yourself,
    but if you are careless you could short something and damage your board)

    I believe +12V is available on the hard drive power connector and is easy
    to get a probe onto without too much difficulty/risk.

    Patrick Dunford, May 18, 2004
  16. On Tue, 18 May 2004 03:12:41 +1200, "Craig Sutton" <>
    wrote:

    >"The GHOST of WOGER." <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 18 May 2004 01:33:49 +1200, "Craig Sutton"

    ><>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Just checking my brother pc, put on some monitoring software to check the
    >> >voltages etc on the motherboard etc. I notice the +12V is reading 16.32V

    >and
    >> >the -12V is at 4.01V. Is it new power supply time?
    >> >
    >> >Bios power monitoring shows similar readings...
    >> >
    >> >Machine seems stable though...
    >> >

    >> Most Monitoring software can be unreliable if it does not match the PC

    >Board
    >> correctly, go get a cheap DVM..
    >>

    >But matches with what the bios is showing..must be a fault

    True..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 18, 2004