    be nice, actually it just needs to use the contacts on my SIM. That's
    about it. Any suggestions? I've only ever had nokias but I'm open to
    other brands.
    David, Feb 7, 2007

  2. David

    whome Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    news:45c9b6a7$...
    > So my trusty nokia 1100 just went insane. It's been gradually doing it for
    > the last few months, splicing together new messages with old messages,
    > half way through a sentence so they're unreadable, putting messages in a
    > random order and now completely refusing to open messages. So I want a new
    > phone. Don't really care much what it's like, except it's gotta be fast.
    > No sluggish menus. It's gotta have good predictive text and be able to
    > store a lot of messages. A good contact list would be nice, actually it
    > just needs to use the contacts on my SIM. That's about it. Any
    > suggestions? I've only ever had nokias but I'm open to other brands.

    can you wait for the nokia n95....mmmm...niicee..
    whome, Feb 7, 2007

  3. David

    Richard Guest

    David wrote:
    > So my trusty nokia 1100 just went insane. It's been gradually doing it
    > for the last few months, splicing together new messages with old
    > messages, half way through a sentence so they're unreadable, putting
    > messages in a random order and now completely refusing to open messages.
    > So I want a new phone. Don't really care much what it's like, except
    > it's gotta be fast. No sluggish menus. It's gotta have good predictive
    > text and be able to store a lot of messages. A good contact list would
    > be nice, actually it just needs to use the contacts on my SIM. That's
    > about it. Any suggestions? I've only ever had nokias but I'm open to
    > other brands.

    Mine did that once, delete all the sms's on the phone in drafts, inbox
    and outbox and it should come right.
    Richard, Feb 7, 2007
  4. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    David wrote:
    > So my trusty nokia 1100 just went insane. It's been gradually doing it
    > for the last few months, splicing together new messages with old
    > messages, half way through a sentence so they're unreadable, putting
    > messages in a random order and now completely refusing to open
    > messages. So I want a new phone. Don't really care much what it's
    > like, except it's gotta be fast. No sluggish menus. It's gotta have
    > good predictive text and be able to store a lot of messages. A good
    > contact list would be nice, actually it just needs to use the
    > contacts on my SIM. That's about it. Any suggestions? I've only ever
    > had nokias but I'm open to other brands.

    I bought a Motorola W220 last week, about the same price/features range as
    the Nokia 1100. While it's a stylish phone, I have trouble with sending
    texts, setting the alarm (It wants me to name the alarm?) and a few other
    things. It's overly complex. I'm about to ask the person who I donated my
    old 1100 to and ask if they'll swap it back for the new Motorola. (I've also
    used soley Nokia for years, must be spoilt).

    Isn't the replacement for the 1100 (1100i?) suitable for your needs?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Feb 7, 2007
  5. David

    David Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >> So my trusty nokia 1100 just went insane. It's been gradually doing it
    >> for the last few months, splicing together new messages with old
    >> messages, half way through a sentence so they're unreadable, putting
    >> messages in a random order and now completely refusing to open
    >> messages. So I want a new phone. Don't really care much what it's
    >> like, except it's gotta be fast. No sluggish menus. It's gotta have
    >> good predictive text and be able to store a lot of messages. A good
    >> contact list would be nice, actually it just needs to use the
    >> contacts on my SIM. That's about it. Any suggestions? I've only ever
    >> had nokias but I'm open to other brands.

    > I bought a Motorola W220 last week, about the same price/features range as
    > the Nokia 1100. While it's a stylish phone, I have trouble with sending
    > texts, setting the alarm (It wants me to name the alarm?) and a few other
    > things. It's overly complex. I'm about to ask the person who I donated my
    > old 1100 to and ask if they'll swap it back for the new Motorola. (I've also
    > used soley Nokia for years, must be spoilt).
    >
    > Isn't the replacement for the 1100 (1100i?) suitable for your needs?
    >
    > Cheers,

    Bought one today and I don't like it. The screen is smaller, and most of
    it's taken up by the names of the softkey functions along the bottom of
    the screen, the size of the text is huge and can't be changed. Makes
    reading messages etc quite difficult (2 lines at a time, hardly 2 words
    per line).
    David, Feb 8, 2007
  6. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    David wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > David wrote:
    > > > So my trusty nokia 1100 just went insane. It's been gradually
    > > > doing it for the last few months, splicing together new messages
    > > > with old messages, half way through a sentence so they're
    > > > unreadable, putting messages in a random order and now completely
    > > > refusing to open messages. So I want a new phone. Don't really
    > > > care much what it's like, except it's gotta be fast. No sluggish
    > > > menus. It's gotta have good predictive text and be able to store
    > > > a lot of messages. A good contact list would be nice, actually it
    > > > just needs to use the contacts on my SIM. That's about it. Any
    > > > suggestions? I've only ever had nokias but I'm open to other
    > > > brands.

    > > I bought a Motorola W220 last week, about the same price/features
    > > range as the Nokia 1100. While it's a stylish phone, I have trouble
    > > with sending texts, setting the alarm (It wants me to name the
    > > alarm?) and a few other things. It's overly complex. I'm about to
    > > ask the person who I donated my old 1100 to and ask if they'll swap
    > > it back for the new Motorola. (I've also used soley Nokia for
    > > years, must be spoilt). Isn't the replacement for the 1100 (1100i?)
    > > suitable for your needs?

    > Bought one today and I don't like it. The screen is smaller, and most
    > of it's taken up by the names of the softkey functions along the
    > bottom of the screen, the size of the text is huge and can't be
    > changed. Makes reading messages etc quite difficult (2 lines at a
    > time, hardly 2 words per line).

    That's a shame. The 1100 is a great phone (I got mine back, that Motorola
    reminded me why I didn't like them way back...), shame that there isn't a
    similar replacement.

    What's with all this replacement models anyway? Why replace something that
    is doing it's job and is getting a good chunk of the market? Bloody stupid
    IYAM. Perhaps someone should see if 1100 (classic) phones are still
    available overseas, India or somewhere, and parallel import them. I know of
    several people who are looking to replace theirs with something similar,
    people who don't want 3G, phone-cameras, email on the phone. People who just
    want a simple, uncluttered cell phone.

    </rant>

    I'm going to be *really* careful with my 1100. Maybe check a few stores for
    old stock....
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Feb 8, 2007
  7. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Feb 8, 2007
  8. David

    David Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I'm going to be *really* careful with my 1100. Maybe check a few
    >> stores for old stock....

    > DSE have a few clearance units...
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/E2618
    >
    > Can you take the 1100i back?

    I think so. I'll check tomorrow, I bought it at a voda store in puke.
    According to that site DSE puke has '2 or less'. I'll have to be quick.
    Thanks for that.
    David, Feb 8, 2007
  9. On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 17:49:02 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >That's a shame. The 1100 is a great phone (I got mine back, that Motorola
    >reminded me why I didn't like them way back...), shame that there isn't a
    >similar replacement.

    I think you made a wise choice. The Motorola W220 is a cheap phone
    with a cheap interface designed to sell on the basis of it being a
    cheap clamshell/flip phone.

    The V360V is a much better phone for $199 (or cheaper) and IMO is the
    best value phone out there considering it takes microsd cards so you
    can store your MP3's on.

    Check out the other threads about installing itunes on it too.
    Jason Clinton, Feb 8, 2007
  10. David

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > That's a shame. The 1100 is a great phone (I got mine back, that Motorola
    > reminded me why I didn't like them way back...), shame that there isn't a
    > similar replacement.

    The new one has the bloody 2 softkeys and red and green button
    interface, I hate that, and I dread the idea of getting mum trained up
    in using one of those for when she is phone sitting for me.
    Richard, Feb 8, 2007
  11. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    David wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm going to be *really* careful with my 1100. Maybe check a few
    > > > stores for old stock....

    > > DSE have a few clearance units...
    > >
    > > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/E2618
    > >
    > > Can you take the 1100i back?

    > I think so. I'll check tomorrow, I bought it at a voda store in puke.
    > According to that site DSE puke has '2 or less'. I'll have to be
    > quick. Thanks for that.

    No problem. :)

    I'm in Puke too. Manukau isn't in italics so if a short stint up the
    motorway isn't too far.....
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Feb 8, 2007
  12. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    > > That's a shame. The 1100 is a great phone (I got mine back, that
    > > Motorola reminded me why I didn't like them way back...), shame
    > > that there isn't a similar replacement.

    > The new one has the bloody 2 softkeys and red and green button
    > interface, I hate that, and I dread the idea of getting mum trained up
    > in using one of those for when she is phone sitting for me.

    Yeah, David mentioned that. How sucky! WTF do you need softkeys for on a
    basic cell phone?

    Technology for the sake of it, very sad. Overcomplication of a simple
    device. The Motorola W220 had softkeys and a green/red too. Why have
    green/red when just one button will do? My Panasonic cordless has a 'talk'
    and an 'off' button, a PITA. Buttons for the sake of it.

    Gah!! If I could afford it I'd be annexing one of those fast-disappearing
    clearance DSE Nokia 1100's to put away for future use.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Feb 8, 2007
  13. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jason Clinton wrote:
    > On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 17:49:02 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > That's a shame. The 1100 is a great phone (I got mine back, that
    > > Motorola reminded me why I didn't like them way back...), shame
    > > that there isn't a similar replacement.

    > I think you made a wise choice. The Motorola W220 is a cheap phone
    > with a cheap interface designed to sell on the basis of it being a
    > cheap clamshell/flip phone.
    >
    > The V360V is a much better phone for $199 (or cheaper) and IMO is the
    > best value phone out there considering it takes microsd cards so you
    > can store your MP3's on.

    It looks to be similar in some aspects to the W220. I really didn't like the
    W220 as the buttons were annoying in that, if I strayed slightly with my fat
    thumb I'd lose all the text that I'd written so far. Way too complicated for
    me.

    > Check out the other threads about installing itunes on it too.

    Sounds interesting. However, my last 5 phones have all been Nokia and I
    think I'll try to continue that trend if at all possible. I don't want
    anything other than a call phone that does SMS and has an alarm function.
    You know, sort of like the 1100. Clam-shell would be nice as the
    screen/keypad would be protected in my pocket from the vagaries of keys...
    Can't have everything.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Feb 8, 2007
  14. David

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Sounds interesting. However, my last 5 phones have all been Nokia and I
    > think I'll try to continue that trend if at all possible. I don't want
    > anything other than a call phone that does SMS and has an alarm function.
    > You know, sort of like the 1100. Clam-shell would be nice as the
    > screen/keypad would be protected in my pocket from the vagaries of keys...
    > Can't have everything.

    Dont forget that the nokia 1100 is "crap" because its got that nasty
    battery depleting flashlight that is so easy to turn on by accident.

    I prefer non flip phones since they are usually thicker, the exception
    being the v3 motorazr - shame that vodafone are only giving away the
    cheapened up plasticy fat v3x...
    Richard, Feb 8, 2007
  15. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > Sounds interesting. However, my last 5 phones have all been Nokia
    > > and I think I'll try to continue that trend if at all possible. I
    > > don't want anything other than a call phone that does SMS and has
    > > an alarm function. You know, sort of like the 1100. Clam-shell
    > > would be nice as the screen/keypad would be protected in my pocket
    > > from the vagaries of keys... Can't have everything.

    > Dont forget that the nokia 1100 is "crap" because its got that nasty
    > battery depleting flashlight that is so easy to turn on by accident.

    LOL. I've had a couple of 1100's now and I've *never* turned the flashlight
    on by accident. Not once.

    > I prefer non flip phones since they are usually thicker, the exception
    > being the v3 motorazr - shame that vodafone are only giving away the
    > cheapened up plasticy fat v3x...

    You like thick phones? I carry mine in my pocket and I like it to be as
    unobtrusive as possible. Therefore thin is good.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Feb 8, 2007
  16. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    David wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm going to be *really* careful with my 1100. Maybe check a few
    > > > stores for old stock....

    > > DSE have a few clearance units...
    > >
    > > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/E2618
    > >
    > > Can you take the 1100i back?

    > I think so. I'll check tomorrow, I bought it at a voda store in puke.
    > According to that site DSE puke has '2 or less'. I'll have to be
    > quick. Thanks for that.

    David, update:

    Pukekohe don't have any, it's just a computer glitch showing one when in
    fact they have none. The Manukau Power House have 8 in stock (was 9 an hour
    ago) so I'd say that would be your best bet.
    --
    Shaun. (Who's just put a brand-new shrink-wrapped Nokia 1100 from Manukau in
    the 'spares' cupboard).
    ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2007
  17. On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 11:33:24 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >You like thick phones? I carry mine in my pocket and I like it to be as
    >unobtrusive as possible. Therefore thin is good.

    It doesn't impress the girls as much as a thick phone does :)
    Jason Clinton, Feb 9, 2007
  18. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jason Clinton wrote:
    > On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 11:33:24 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > You like thick phones? I carry mine in my pocket and I like it to
    > > be as unobtrusive as possible. Therefore thin is good.

    > It doesn't impress the girls as much as a thick phone does :)

    LMAO!

    A thick wallet is even better though methinks.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2007
  19. David

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-02-08, ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > Why have green/red when just one button will do?

    call waiting.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Feb 10, 2007
  20. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    jasen wrote:
    > On 2007-02-08, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >
    > > Why have green/red when just one button will do?

    > call waiting.

    My call waiting service consists of a message saying "The GSM mobile phone
    that you are trying to call is busy. Please try again later".

    Works for me.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Feb 10, 2007