Need new PC

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Boppy, Oct 8, 2006.

  1. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    My current PC was built by a friend three years ago and am now getting
    lots of crashes, hangs, etc. Apparently device drivers conflicts are
    the issue. Seems like I will have to reinstall Windows, which means
    going out and buying it - around $700 I believe.

    However, many new computers come with Windows already, so I'm thinking
    it might be cost-effective just to buy a new one with Win XP Pro
    already installed.

    I run lots of graphics apps - Photoshop, Corel, Illustrator, etc.
    Currently running Win XP Pro and would like to stay with it.

    There is a Dick Smith in my town and soon to be a Noel Leeming. Would
    either of those be a good place to go shopping? What am I looking for
    in terms of speed, memory, etc? I currently have a 1025 ram but
    couldn't tell you what speed I'm working with. Any tips for what to
    look for or avoid?

    TIA
    Boppy, Oct 8, 2006

  2. Boppy

    peterwn Guest

    Boppy wrote:

    > I run lots of graphics apps - Photoshop, Corel, Illustrator, etc.
    > Currently running Win XP Pro and would like to stay with it.

    Now is a good time while XP is still on the market. Seems that Vista
    should be avoided at least during its initial years.

    Try to get a computer with the proper XP 'OEM' CD, not one with
    'rescue' CD's. You should start hunting out all the CD's floppys etc
    with drivers or cards, peritherals, etc. If you do not have them, you
    should identify them, download them and burn them to a CD before you
    decommission your old machine.

    Instead of replacing the computer, you can buy a cheaper 'OEM' Windows
    XP if you buy some 'qualifying' hardware (eg a second hard drive for
    $150 or so) at the same time.
    peterwn, Oct 8, 2006

  3. Boppy

    Earl Grey Guest

    Boppy wrote:
    > My current PC was built by a friend three years ago and am now getting
    > lots of crashes, hangs, etc. Apparently device drivers conflicts are
    > the issue. Seems like I will have to reinstall Windows, which means
    > going out and buying it - around $700 I believe.
    >
    > However, many new computers come with Windows already, so I'm thinking
    > it might be cost-effective just to buy a new one with Win XP Pro
    > already installed.
    >
    > I run lots of graphics apps - Photoshop, Corel, Illustrator, etc.
    > Currently running Win XP Pro and would like to stay with it.
    >
    > There is a Dick Smith in my town and soon to be a Noel Leeming. Would
    > either of those be a good place to go shopping? What am I looking for
    > in terms of speed, memory, etc? I currently have a 1025 ram but
    > couldn't tell you what speed I'm working with. Any tips for what to
    > look for or avoid?
    >
    > TIA

    You can buy XP Pro OEM with any PC part from shops like Paradigm or PB
    Computers
    http://www.pbwellington.co.nz/p.aspx?3345
    $259 + GST
    Earl Grey, Oct 8, 2006
  4. Boppy

    Earl Grey Guest

    Boppy wrote:
    > My current PC was built by a friend three years ago and am now getting
    > lots of crashes, hangs, etc. Apparently device drivers conflicts are
    > the issue. Seems like I will have to reinstall Windows, which means
    > going out and buying it - around $700 I believe.
    >
    > However, many new computers come with Windows already, so I'm thinking
    > it might be cost-effective just to buy a new one with Win XP Pro
    > already installed.
    >
    > I run lots of graphics apps - Photoshop, Corel, Illustrator, etc.
    > Currently running Win XP Pro and would like to stay with it.
    >
    > There is a Dick Smith in my town and soon to be a Noel Leeming. Would
    > either of those be a good place to go shopping? What am I looking for
    > in terms of speed, memory, etc? I currently have a 1025 ram but
    > couldn't tell you what speed I'm working with. Any tips for what to
    > look for or avoid?
    >
    > TIA

    I'm just a customer
    but you can buy this box with XP Pro installed for $660 +GST
    http://www.pbwellington.co.nz/pk.aspx?104

    or
    http://pp.co.nz/UpgradeKits.php
    http://pp.co.nz/Software.php
    $361 + $272 = $633

    Similar deals elsewhere, have a look on pricespy
    Earl Grey, Oct 8, 2006
  5. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > My current PC was built by a friend three years ago and am now getting
    > lots of crashes, hangs, etc. Apparently device drivers conflicts are
    > the issue. Seems like I will have to reinstall Windows, which means
    > going out and buying it - around $700 I believe.

    You could buy a copy of XP Pro or Home, OEM - for $250 & $155
    respectively. You'll need to add some qualifying hardware, like a power
    cord: $5?

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 8, 2006
  6. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Thanks everyone. Have ordered OEM Xp.
    Cheers,

    Boppy, Oct 9, 2006
  7. Boppy

    Sam Guest

    Boppy wrote:

    > Seems like I will have to reinstall Windows, which means
    > going out and buying it

    > Currently running Win XP Pro

    huh?
    Sam, Oct 9, 2006
  8. Boppy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > Boppy wrote:
    >
    > > Seems like I will have to reinstall Windows, which means
    > > going out and buying it

    > > Currently running Win XP Pro

    > huh?

    That's an easy one. He got it with a not-so-legal copy installed and no
    install disc.

    It's called reading between the lines.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Oct 9, 2006
  9. Boppy

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-10-08, Boppy <> wrote:

    > However, many new computers come with Windows already, so I'm thinking
    > it might be cost-effective just to buy a new one with Win XP Pro
    > already installed.
    >
    > I run lots of graphics apps - Photoshop, Corel, Illustrator, etc.
    > Currently running Win XP Pro and would like to stay with it.

    if you're seeing lots of disk activity (and slow-downs) while running those
    applications some more ram would help performance, and by making the purchase
    you'd qualify for an OEM (ie: discounted) copy of XP.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Oct 9, 2006
  10. Boppy

    Kent Smith Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Sam wrote:
    >> Boppy wrote:
    >>
    >> > Seems like I will have to reinstall Windows, which means
    >> > going out and buying it

    >> > Currently running Win XP Pro

    >> huh?

    > That's an easy one. He got it with a not-so-legal copy installed and no
    > install disc.
    >
    > It's called reading between the lines.
    > --

    Of course Photoshop, Corel, Illustrator will be fully licensed :)

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Oct 10, 2006