Need new monitor asap!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Guy Scharf, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. Guy Scharf

    Guy Scharf Guest

    Until tonight, I have been using an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 -- a
    19" monitor with a Mitsubishi tube. The monitor died tonight. As
    backup, I have "borrowed" my wife's IBM P70. I need to give it back to
    her fast! Besides, at 17" it is a bit small. :)

    What's the best choice for a monitor for photo editing? My budget is up
    to $750. If CRT, must be at least a 19" monitor, though I would prefer
    larger. I never use this system for gaming.

    Is there a LCD panel with good color, blacks, whites, contrast, etc.
    yet in my price range? If LCD, 19" is probably enough.

    How is the Samsung 193P, really? How does it compare to the LaCie or
    Mitsubishi monitors?

    Has anyone tried a reconditioned monitor from LaCie?

    I need the monitor to accept analog input for now, but I am planning on
    replacing the computer within the month with a new one with new video
    card, probably a Matrox P650 or maybe Nvidia.

    Thanks for your advice on monitors!

    Guy

    Guy Scharf, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Guy Scharf

    Rick Guest

    "Guy Scharf" <> wrote in message news:Xns95517C36FDF4guyspamcopnet@216.196.97.142...
    > Until tonight, I have been using an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 -- a
    > 19" monitor with a Mitsubishi tube. The monitor died tonight. As
    > backup, I have "borrowed" my wife's IBM P70. I need to give it back to
    > her fast! Besides, at 17" it is a bit small. :)

    Your Iiyama died not because of the Mitsubishi tube, but
    because of the cheap/substandard supporting components
    used by Iiyama. Their monitors are designed to last only as
    long as their warranty periods.

    > What's the best choice for a monitor for photo editing? My budget is up
    > to $750. If CRT, must be at least a 19" monitor, though I would prefer
    > larger. I never use this system for gaming.
    >
    > Is there a LCD panel with good color, blacks, whites, contrast, etc.
    > yet in my price range? If LCD, 19" is probably enough.
    >
    > How is the Samsung 193P, really? How does it compare to the LaCie or
    > Mitsubishi monitors?
    >
    > Has anyone tried a reconditioned monitor from LaCie?

    LaCie also uses Mitsubishi's Diamondtron SB tubes.

    You can get a new 22" Mitsubishi 2070SB for $700, or
    even less if you shop around:
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10328762&loc=101&sp=1

    Mitsubishi uses top-notch supporting components.

    Rick

    Rick, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Guy Scharf

    Rick, Aug 26, 2004
  4. Guy Scharf

    mark_digital Guest

    "Guy Scharf" <> wrote in message news:Xns95517C36FDF4guyspamcopnet@216.196.97.142...
    Until tonight, I have been using an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 -- a
    19" monitor with a Mitsubishi tube. The monitor died tonight. As
    backup, I have "borrowed" my wife's IBM P70. I need to give it back to
    her fast! Besides, at 17" it is a bit small. :)

    What's the best choice for a monitor for photo editing?
    ------------------
    ------------------
    ------------------
    Are you trying to make a blond's hair green or flesh tone
    turn orange? There's nothing to edit anymore big guy unless
    you're trying to go abstract.
    If your images suck from the camera time to ditch it.
    Take pictures, not "fix" them.

    mark_

    mark_digital, Aug 26, 2004
  5. Guy Scharf

    Mark M Guest

    "mark_digital" <> wrote in message

    "Guy Scharf" <> wrote in message
    Until tonight, I have been using an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 -- a
    19" monitor with a Mitsubishi tube. The monitor died tonight. As
    backup, I have "borrowed" my wife's IBM P70. I need to give it back to
    her fast! Besides, at 17" it is a bit small. :)

    What's the best choice for a monitor for photo editing?
    ------------------
    ------------------
    ------------------
    Are you trying to make a blond's hair green or flesh tone
    turn orange? There's nothing to edit anymore big guy unless
    you're trying to go abstract.
    If your images suck from the camera time to ditch it.
    Take pictures, not "fix" them.
    ---------------

    I'm hoping you're either kidding or drunk, because you're talking complete,
    utter nonsense.

    Mark M, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Guy Scharf

    DS Guest

    I like the Sony Trinitron monitors but they're very expensive and now
    only available in the larger (21inch) sizes.

    DS

    DS, Aug 26, 2004
  7. Guy Scharf

    Mark M Guest

    "DS" <> wrote in message

    > I like the Sony Trinitron monitors but they're very expensive and now
    > only available in the larger (21inch) sizes.

    My last Trinitron turned to total crap in less than two years.
    Very disappointing.
    I'm now happily color-matching to great success with high-res a 20.1" flat
    (gasp) panel.
    I know about the naysayers with regard to LCD didsplays for this type of
    work, but it's been great. Lesser LCDs are surely more problematic, though
    I still don't have a truly high-end panel ($1300 for this one). The best
    sell for much much more.

    Mark M, Aug 26, 2004
  8. Guy Scharf

    Guy Scharf Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote:

    > "Guy Scharf" <> wrote in message
    >> Until tonight, I have been using an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450
    >> -- a 19" monitor with a Mitsubishi tube. The monitor died
    >> tonight. As backup, I have "borrowed" my wife's IBM P70. I need
    >> to give it back to her fast! Besides, at 17" it is a bit small.
    >> :)

    > Your Iiyama died not because of the Mitsubishi tube, but
    > because of the cheap/substandard supporting components
    > used by Iiyama. Their monitors are designed to last only as
    > long as their warranty periods.

    I like the Mitsubishi tube very much. It is the best aperture grill
    design that I have used. If I get a CRT rather than a flat panel, it
    will have a Misubishi Diamondtron tube.

    The monitor lasted more than 5 years, somewhat longer than the warranty
    period. I find it irritating that repair services are too expensive.

    Guy

    Guy Scharf, Aug 26, 2004
  9. Guy Scharf

    bob Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in

    > "DS" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I like the Sony Trinitron monitors but they're very expensive and now
    >> only available in the larger (21inch) sizes.

    > My last Trinitron turned to total crap in less than two years.
    > Very disappointing.

    I've got a 21/22" trinitron FD (in a Sony brand case) that's right at two
    years old now. I just priced one last week and it's under $700 from
    BestBuy.com.

    I like it very much so far.

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

    bob, Aug 26, 2004
  10. Guy Scharf

    wayne Guest

    YOU need to go to a couple of local stores to see the different monitors to
    see what you like. As I have said 3 out of 4 of my graphic artists have
    switched to LCD the 4th still has his CRT. You can look for online reviews

    this 19" sony LCD is right in your ballpark
    http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/product_info/reviews__cat_id--416,prod_id--11196512.html

    Wayne

    wayne, Aug 26, 2004
  11. Guy Scharf

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Look into the Hitachi and NEC monitors.
    the 17" Hitachi I had is still in use and the quality is excellent.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Aug 26, 2004
  12. Guy Scharf

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, et
    says...

    >Hi,
    >
    >Look into the Hitachi and NEC monitors.
    >the 17" Hitachi I had is still in use and the quality is excellent.
    >Rosita

    I'd also recommend the Hitachis. I've got a seven yo RasterOp Hitachi 21" that
    has held calibration since new with two major moves. Two Hitachi 21" are now
    five yo with no problems. I paid in the neighborhood of US$800 for the newer
    ones, and I'm sure price has fallen somewhat. They're driven by Matrox G450
    board and are still spot-on for high-level Photoshop work to all of my design
    clients. I've just probably cursed all three monitors to catastrophic failure,
    but they have been wonderful.

    I moved ny 21" NEC out for the RasterOps, and finally gave it away to an
    assistant. It was a good monitor, though it had become dated. At about 10 yo,
    it is still functioning fine and has had four major moves.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Aug 26, 2004
  13. Guy Scharf

    Jim Guest

    "bob" <> wrote in message
    > "Mark M" <> wrote in
    >
    > > "DS" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I like the Sony Trinitron monitors but they're very expensive and now
    > >> only available in the larger (21inch) sizes.

    > > My last Trinitron turned to total crap in less than two years.
    > > Very disappointing.
    > >

    > I've got a 21/22" trinitron FD (in a Sony brand case) that's right at two
    > years old now. I just priced one last week and it's under $700 from
    > BestBuy.com.
    >
    > I like it very much so far.

    My 19 inch Sony Trinitron is now 5 years old and going strong.
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 26, 2004
  14. Guy Scharf

    mark_digital Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message news:nDjXc.105674$Lj.62531@fed1read03...

    I'm hoping you're either kidding or drunk, because you're talking complete,
    utter nonsense.
    Mark M
    ------------
    ------------
    ------------
    Whoa, back up a moment. I'm talking editing images for print. If he's
    editing for video output then it's a different story. There's only so much
    a regular television can display and what may look alright for color and
    exposure can turn to do do later.
    Editing of course includes cropping and enlarging, and if he's looking for
    more "landscape" so he can easily work with a multitude of images all at
    once it's understandable.
    Maybe I should start becoming a regular again so I can get a "feel" of
    what someone wants to do because they ain't telling the whole story
    most of the time.
    mark_

    mark_digital, Aug 26, 2004
  15. Guy Scharf

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message

[...]

    OK.
    I'm totally lost now...
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're refering to something I
    missed, and that this all makes sense somehow. :)

    I'm suffering severe vertigo the last three days (have fallen over 4
    times!).
    I've heard descriptions of true vertigo before, but it is a truly bizarre
    and overwhelming experience. To describe it as severe dizziness is such a
    huge understatement that it's just totally wrong. Amazing, really.
    I saw miy entire world turn 90 degrees...and then seem to keep turning
    toward 90 degrees...yet you never stop "getting to" 90 degrees or so.
    Totally overpowering.
    I suppose some hippies paid a lot of money in drugs to see these sort of
    things, but believe me... It's no fun. Your body just reacts
    immediately--Meaning, you fall down, and everything keeps spinning. WOW! I
    hope this doesn't last.

    So... Never mind. Perhaps you were just fine and I was reading you 90
    degrees "off."

    Mark M, Aug 27, 2004
  16. Guy Scharf

    Mark M Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > "bob" <> wrote in message
    > > "Mark M" <> wrote in
    > >
    > > > "DS" <> wrote in message

    > > > My last Trinitron turned to total crap in less than two years.
    > > > Very disappointing.
    > > >

    > > I've got a 21/22" trinitron FD (in a Sony brand case) that's right at

    two
    > > years old now. I just priced one last week and it's under $700 from
    > > BestBuy.com.
    > >
    > > I like it very much so far.

    > My 19 inch Sony Trinitron is now 5 years old and going strong.
    > Jim

    Ya, I think I just got a lemon.
    I've had other Sony tubes that have been much better.

    Mark M, Aug 27, 2004
  17. Guy Scharf

    mark_digital Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message

[...]

    You haven't been cleaning your ears with your car keys
    have you? :) It's a sure way of losing your balance later
    because of an infection.
    It's possible you could be suffering from a mild temporary
    form of anxiety. For me it doesn't happen too often, thank
    god, because ever since my late teens if I experience it,
    within two weeks a friend or relative passes away. My wife
    has kept track and it hasn't failed yet. It's always been a
    question as to who it was going to be. It's usually the most
    unlikely person.
    My forehead and wrists bleed around Easter. Not much but
    it does get me weird looks in a restaurant. No. I'm not pulling
    your leg. But like I tell others, if you don't believe me it's
    certainly understandable. I wouldn't believe it either.

    mark_

    mark_digital, Aug 27, 2004
  18. Guy Scharf

    Guy Scharf Guest

    Thank you everyone for your advice.

    I ordered a reconditioned 19" LaCie monitor and installed it today. It
    is beautiful!

    Guy

    Guy Scharf, Sep 1, 2004
  19. Guy Scharf

    Mark M Guest

    "Guy Scharf" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you everyone for your advice.
    >
    > I ordered a reconditioned 19" LaCie monitor and installed it today. It
    > is beautiful!

    What was your source, and how much did it cost?
    Thanks.

    Mark M, Sep 2, 2004
  20. Guy Scharf

    Guy Scharf Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote:

    > "Guy Scharf" <> wrote in message
    >> Thank you everyone for your advice.
    >>
    >> I ordered a reconditioned 19" LaCie monitor and installed it
    >> today. It is beautiful!

    > What was your source, and how much did it cost?
    > Thanks.

    Mark,

    I ordered it direct from LaCie, www.lacie.com, for a total price of
    $204 delivered.