    there.

    Thanks!!
    Rick

    Rick Dowling, Sep 16, 2005

  2. Rick Dowling

    Skip M Guest

    "Rick Dowling" <> wrote in message
    news:fce4$432a2ea0$18d65e0a$...
    > I'm apparently one of many that has a Sigma 28 to 200 mm lens that cannot
    > be upgraded by Sigma for use on my Rebel XT camera. I have a Canon 20 mm
    > lens, Canon 100-400 IS and a Sigma 105 macro ( which works fine on the
    > camera). Any ideas as to a good all purpose lens. I was thinking of the
    > 50mm 1.8, the 28-135 or the 28-200 but I would like input from some of the
    > experts out there.
    >
    > Thanks!!
    > Rick

    With the 100-400, the 28-200 would be redundant with the addition of the
    Canon 28-135, which is probably an optically superior lens. And the 28-135
    has IS, lacking in any 28-200, no matter the mfr. I've been very happy with
    mine, anyway, for the last 6 or 7 years. The 50mm f1.8 is cheap enough to
    add it to whatever you decide to buy.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Sep 16, 2005

  3. In article <B%rWe.139$GQ4.89@fed1read05>, Skip M <>
    writes
    >"Rick Dowling" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm apparently one of many that has a Sigma 28 to 200 mm lens that cannot
    >> be upgraded by Sigma for use on my Rebel XT camera. I have a Canon 20 mm
    >> lens, Canon 100-400 IS and a Sigma 105 macro ( which works fine on the
    >> camera). Any ideas as to a good all purpose lens. I was thinking of the
    >> 50mm 1.8, the 28-135 or the 28-200 but I would like input from some of the
    >> experts out there.
    >>
    >> Thanks!!
    >> Rick
    >>

    >With the 100-400, the 28-200 would be redundant with the addition of the
    >Canon 28-135, which is probably an optically superior lens. And the 28-135
    >has IS, lacking in any 28-200, no matter the mfr. I've been very happy with
    >mine, anyway, for the last 6 or 7 years. The 50mm f1.8 is cheap enough to
    >add it to whatever you decide to buy.

    I agree. I have used the 28-135 for several years with an EOS 1n, and
    now also with an EOS 10D. The quality is very good, and it matches my
    17-35 f/2.8L and 100-400 L IS lenses very well. Most reports I have seen
    of any 28-200 lenses damn them with faint praise - the only high ratio
    zoom of good pedigree is the 28-300 L zoom at a rather high price. The
    50 f/1.8 is universally praised; I use the f/1.4 myself, but my daughter
    has an f/1.8 and it gives very good results.

    You may also wish to wait a month or two and check out the 24-105 f/4 L
    IS. On paper it sounds very good - may even consider replacing my 28-135
    with one.

    David
    --
    David Littlewood

    David Littlewood, Sep 16, 2005
  4. >I'm apparently one of many that has a Sigma 28 to 200 mm lens that cannot be
    >upgraded by Sigma for use on my Rebel XT camera. I have a Canon 20 mm lens,
    >Canon 100-400 IS and a Sigma 105 macro ( which works fine on the camera).
    >Any ideas as to a good all purpose lens. I was thinking of the 50mm 1.8,
    >the 28-135 or the 28-200 but I would like input from some of the experts out
    >there.

    For an all-purpose lens I'd either go with the 28-135IS, or, if you
    can get used to it, a 50mm fixed lens. The quality of the pictures
    from the 50mm fixed will be much higher than anything else.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Sep 16, 2005
  5. Rick Dowling

    Guest

    FWIW, I use the 28-135 IS, the 50 1.8, and the 75-300 IS. All perform
    fine for my uses/expectations.

    Paul B.

    , Sep 16, 2005
  6. Rick Dowling

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > For an all-purpose lens I'd either go with the 28-135IS, or, if you
    > can get used to it, a 50mm fixed lens. The quality of the pictures
    > from the 50mm fixed will be much higher than anything else.
    >
    > -Joel

    I have a 50mm f1.4 because it's very small; but it 's performance in terms
    of saturation, contrast and resolution is below any of the three L series
    lenes I use.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Sep 16, 2005
  7. > I'm apparently one of many that has a Sigma 28 to 200 mm lens that cannot
    > be upgraded by Sigma for use on my Rebel XT camera. I have a Canon 20 mm
    > lens, Canon 100-400 IS and a Sigma 105 macro ( which works fine on the
    > camera). Any ideas as to a good all purpose lens. I was thinking of the
    > 50mm 1.8, the 28-135 or the 28-200 but I would like input from some of the
    > experts out there.
    >
    > Thanks!!
    > Rick

    You might check out the reviews on www.FredMiranda.com, where you'll find
    people generally aren't terribly pleased with the Canon 28-200, but the
    28-135 IS gets fairly decent marks. I went with the 17-85 IS, which I've
    been very pleased with, and just added the 70-200 F4/L, so I've pretty much
    got all the bases covered. Since you've already got a 20mm, the 28-135 might
    make more sense for you than the 17-85.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Sep 17, 2005