Need new camera (advice) after breaking Oly 3040

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by AusDigi, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. AusDigi

    AusDigi Guest

    I broke my Olympus C3040Z last week and am researching new cameras.

    The 3040 had 3MPix, 3x zoom & macro to 20cm.

    I take mainly photos of flora and fauna so close macro is important for
    flowers and decent zoom for animals. [Why is it hard to find a digi still
    cam with decent zoom - like video cams :( ]

    Prefer CF memory as its cheapest but then again I would probably only get a
    256MB card and take a laptop with me on vacations.

    Prefer AA batteries as I already have 8 NiMH's (and recharger) sitting here
    doing nothing.

    More than 3MPix (but looks like any decent camera has more these days).

    I don't really care about movie mode - its mostly a gimmick for still
    cameras anyway (granted, some are now delivering decent 640x480 unlimited
    recording). The movie mode for my Oly was very poor.

    I like the manual mode so control over exposure, white balance, etc. would
    be handy (but I'd hope most in my price range have this).

    I'm checking web sites, such as http://www.steves-digicams.com/ (although
    this site doesn't seem to review cameras so much as state their features).

    I'm willing to spend around US$500 (I'm in Australia but I understand most
    people here can think in this currency).

    --
    http://rnr.id.au
    AusDigi, Oct 12, 2004

  2. AusDigi

    GT40 Guest

    Not sure if this matches your list, but look at the (US Model number)
    Canon PowerShot S60

    GT40, Oct 12, 2004

  3. There are a LOT of good cameras so check out dpreview.com for
    recommendations.

    That said, you mentioned macros a lot, and Nikons have always been
    exceptional in macro. Two that stand out: the Coolpix 5400 and 5700. Both
    have been upgraded to 8 megapixel models but are still--so far
    anyway--non-discontinued, and you can get them on eBay for $400-500. The
    former gets as close as 0.4 inches, the latter I can't remember but it's
    very close (and I **think** it has less wide-angle distortion, but can't say
    for sure). Both are 5 megapixels, have all the manual options you'll need
    (including a hot shoe for a full-sized flash), a swivel LCD, ability to
    shoot in RAW (you'll need the firmware upgrade for the 5400 to do this), and
    good durable construction.

    You may lean towards the 5700 because it has a lot of zoom--8x in fact (all
    optical), reaching as far as 280mm (35mm equivalent). The 5400 only goes to
    116mm (35mm equivalent), but zooms OUT further--28mm vs 35mm for the 5700.
    Both use Compact Flash memory, and will work with the Type II Compact Flash
    as well, including Microdrive (less necessary these days). The 5700 can use
    6 AAs to power it if you buy the battery pack; otherwise they use a battery
    similar to the 2CR5 lithiums you can buy in the store (which in fact will
    fit & power both cameras).

    I purchased my 5700 last May--when the 8700 (its successor) had JUST come
    out--for right at $475, it may well be less than that now. I just purchased
    a 5400 (haven't got it yet) with 2 spare batteries for $390. The former cost
    like $800 last year, the latter right at $700 last year, so those are HUGH
    price cuts.

    The only issue I have is that the 5700 can have some trouble focusing in
    low-light, I think the 5400 has that as well. But unless you take your
    macros at night-time, that shouldn't matter. (If it does, consider the Sony
    DSC-F717--5 megapixels, manual-options, 35mm-190mm zoom, cost right at $400;
    it has fewer "image processing" overrides, though, and I don't think its
    macro is as good.)

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Oct 12, 2004
  4. AusDigi

    AusDigi Guest

    Thanks but that has insufficient zoom, I'm looking at at least 6x (optical
    of course).

    AusDigi, Oct 12, 2004
  5. AusDigi

    AusDigi Guest

    Thanks Larry, lots of useful info. I like the 5400's macro (.4"/1cm) and the
    5700's zoom. :)

    AusDigi, Oct 12, 2004
  6. AusDigi

    QuienEs Guest

    Just a thought, I was given a "dropped" C3040Z by an owner who had
    similar thoughts. I contacted Oly here in the US and was pleasently
    surprised - they would fix anything for a flat fee as long as the
    camera had not been submerged and as long as it was complete.

    I sent it in, got it back quickly with a 90-day warranty, the cost was
    US$179.00 and I have been using it happily for over a year.

    Maybe similar applies in .AU

    Cheers, QE in NJ
    ==============================

    QuienEs, Oct 13, 2004
  7. AusDigi

    Paul W. Ross Guest

    I have an Olympus C-5000. Uses xD cards, and has a Li Ion battery. GREAT camera.
    Paul W. Ross, Oct 13, 2004
  8. AusDigi

    AusDigi Guest

    "QuienEs" <> wrote in message
    > Just a thought, I was given a "dropped" C3040Z by an owner who had
    > similar thoughts. I contacted Oly here in the US and was pleasently
    > surprised - they would fix anything for a flat fee as long as the
    > camera had not been submerged and as long as it was complete.
    >
    > I sent it in, got it back quickly with a 90-day warranty, the cost was
    > US$179.00 and I have been using it happily for over a year.

    Thanks, maybe its similar here but for that price you can get better about
    the same specs new.
    AusDigi, Oct 14, 2004
  9. AusDigi

    Andre Guest

    I just bought a Minolta Dimage 7i for 450 euro's a few eeks ago. I love
    it... although 'only' 5mp the quality of the images is very good and the
    large 7 optical zoom gets you close to what you want to grab.

    André
    http://www.windowseat.nl

    Andre, Oct 14, 2004