    there any way I can add an extra (3rd) drive to my pc to give me extra space
    to store large files etc.,?
    F.

    Freebie, Feb 26, 2006

  2. Freebie

    Tony Guest

    "Freebie" <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:V87Mf.61572$...
    >I have 2 x 80 gig drives in my pc and have no IDE slots left, but I need
    >more drive space. The drives I have are relatively new purchases, so is
    >there any way I can add an extra (3rd) drive to my pc to give me extra
    >space to store large files etc.,?
    > F.

    Yes, get an external usb or firewire drive.

    Tony, Feb 26, 2006

  3. Freebie

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 01:04:53 +0000, Freebie wrote:

    > I have 2 x 80 gig drives in my pc and have no IDE slots left, but I need
    > more drive space. The drives I have are relatively new purchases, so is
    > there any way I can add an extra (3rd) drive to my pc to give me extra space
    > to store large files etc.,?
    > F.

    Buy a PCI IDE controller and another drive provided you have a spare PCI
    slot.

    Or if you have XP and USB 2.0, an external USB drive will do.

    Meat Plow, Feb 26, 2006
  4. Freebie

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 01:04:53 GMT There are so many copies and so few
    originals "Freebie" <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> sent this :

    >I have 2 x 80 gig drives in my pc and have no IDE slots left, but I need
    >more drive space. The drives I have are relatively new purchases, so is
    >there any way I can add an extra (3rd) drive to my pc to give me extra space
    >to store large files etc.,?
    >F.

    What the F**K!!! are you filling them up with?

    Burn to CDR/DVD disks?

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Feb 26, 2006
  5. Freebie

    JANA Guest

    Your best solution is to add a third drive in the computer, if you have
    space, and if there are enough drive ports from the mother board. If you
    have an empty slot, you can add a controller for the drive, if there is not
    any more drive ports from the mother board.

    The easiest solution which is effective for mass storage, is to add a USB
    drive, or better still, a firewire drive. When adding another drive, get the
    largest one you can afford. This way you will get a lot of space.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Feb 26, 2006
  6. Freebie

    Senti Guest

    Freebie wrote:
    > I have 2 x 80 gig drives in my pc and have no IDE slots left, but I need
    > more drive space. The drives I have are relatively new purchases, so is
    > there any way I can add an extra (3rd) drive to my pc to give me extra space
    > to store large files etc.,?
    > F.

    Each IDE port can handle 2 drives. How many IDE ports do you have? Do
    you have any other IDE devices (like CD/DVD-ROMs) attached to them?

    Do you happen to have an open PCI slot? PCI-to-IDE cards are usually
    fairly inexpensive.

    Other than that, try an external drive. Or look for a hot swappable
    hard drive enclosure.

    Lots of ways to get more disk space. :)

    ~SF

    Senti, Feb 26, 2006
  7. Freebie wrote:
    > I have 2 x 80 gig drives in my pc and have no IDE slots left, but I need
    > more drive space. The drives I have are relatively new purchases, so is
    > there any way I can add an extra (3rd) drive to my pc to give me extra space
    > to store large files etc.,?
    > F.

    As others have suggested, you can easily add an external drive. But if
    you don't want to go that route, buy a 160GB drive from someplace like
    NewEgg for $80 including shipping (200GB available for $87, 250GB for
    $90). Replace one of the 80s with that. Sell the 80, use it in another
    machine, give it to a relative, keep as a spare, or buy a cheap external
    housing for it and use it as a portable drive.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 26, 2006
  8. Freebie

    Plato Guest

    Freebie wrote:

    > I have 2 x 80 gig drives in my pc and have no IDE slots left, but I need
    > more drive space. The drives I have are relatively new purchases, so is
    > there any way I can add an extra (3rd) drive to my pc to give me extra space
    > to store large files etc.,?

    1. Get an PCI controller card to add more drives.
    2. Use an external USB hard drive.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 1, 2006