    better Y-splitter (Maybe one designed for digital Coaxial) please let
    me know, your opinions are greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance
    Tom, May 15, 2004

  2. "Tom" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am out of coaxial audio inputs on my reciever and need to hook up
    > another cuaxial audio cable. Since I will only be using 1 component at
    > a time, could i split it with a high quality cable such as this
    > monster Y spliter?
    >
    > http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=654
    >
    > I have seen many people use normal RCA's to use as Coaxial Audio
    > cables and they get there DTS and DD signals fine. I use all good
    > quality cable and do not want to lose quality. This seems like it
    > would work fine. buy if you guys know of a reason not to do this or a
    > better Y-splitter (Maybe one designed for digital Coaxial) please let
    > me know, your opinions are greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Coax and RCA cables have completely different grounding/shielding and
    impedence characteristics. If you want to preserve your precious signals,
    don't mix 'n' match the two.

    If you must split the coax signal, then get a coax signal splitter (possibly
    with a signal amplifier). You'll be a lot more pleased with the result.
    Colon Terminus, May 18, 2004

  3. Tom

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Colon Terminus" <> wrote in message
    > Coax and RCA cables have completely different grounding/shielding and
    > impedence characteristics.

    A "coaxial digital" cable is an RCA video cable (the yellow one, not the
    red or white ones) with a different name on the packaging and a higher
    price tag. Both are 75 ohms and are manufactured identically. Any
    decently-shielded (not the cheapo crap that comes packaged free with
    your VCR or DVD player) 75 ohm RCA cable will function just fine as a
    coaxial digital cable.
    Joshua Zyber, May 18, 2004
  4. "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Colon Terminus" <> wrote in message
    > > Coax and RCA cables have completely different grounding/shielding and
    > > impedence characteristics.

    > A "coaxial digital" cable is an RCA video cable (the yellow one, not the
    > red or white ones) with a different name on the packaging and a higher
    > price tag. Both are 75 ohms and are manufactured identically. Any
    > decently-shielded (not the cheapo crap that comes packaged free with
    > your VCR or DVD player) 75 ohm RCA cable will function just fine as a
    > coaxial digital cable.

    Thanks to you, I'm now enlightened. In my previous life, coaxial digital
    cable referred to RG59 or RG6 coaxial cables with BNC connectors.
    Colon Terminus, May 18, 2004