    Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
    come up again.

    Thanks!

    mary wei, Aug 28, 2003

  2. mary wei

    bb3 Guest

    "mary wei" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello Everybody,
    >
    > Is someone good at math. I'm trying to figure out toner coverage.
    >
    > If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
    > copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
    >
    > Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
    > come up again.
    >
    > Thanks!

    33,000 * 5 = 165,000/6 = 27,500???

    bb3, Aug 28, 2003

  3. mary wei

    °Mike° Guest

    It would make 27,500 - do the rest of your homework yourself;
    that's how you will truly learn. Look up percentages in your
    reference books.

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:40:30 GMT, in
    <>
    mary wei scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 28, 2003
  4. mary wei

    PhilÅ Guest

    I thought that, but no its wrong, if you have 33,000 at 6% then at 5% you
    would get more not less (27K)

    PhilÅ, Aug 28, 2003
  5. mary wei

    PhilÅ Guest

    > Wrong, if you have 33,000 at 6% then at 5% you
    > would get more not less (27,500)
    >
    > At 5% you would actually get 35.500 Pages.

    Sorry correction you would get 38,500, Jesus my head hurts..

    PhilÅ, Aug 28, 2003
  6. mary wei

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:12:31 +0100, in
    <bilnnl$amh0h$-berlin.de>
    PhilÅ scrawled:

    >> Wrong, if you have 33,000 at 6% then at 5% you
    >> would get more not less (27,500)
    >>
    >> At 5% you would actually get 35.500 Pages.
    >>

    >Sorry correction you would get 38,500, Jesus my head hurts..

    How can you get *more* at a lower percentage? Are you seriously
    trying to say you'd get *less* at 50 percent? Duh!

    ((100 / 6) * 33000) * 0.05

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 28, 2003
  7. mary wei

    bb3 Guest

    "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message
    > I thought that, but no its wrong, if you have 33,000 at 6% then at 5% you
    > would get more not less (27K)

    You know, I originally had it written that way, but then changed it. I
    originally had an answer of 39,600. But I remembered an algebra teacher
    telling me to "cross multiply & divide by the oddball", meaning (ratios)
    6/33,000 = 5/x, where x is the answer you're looking for. This gives the
    answer of 27,500. That's the way I remember it anyway.

    > "bb3" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "mary wei" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    bb3, Aug 28, 2003
  8. mary wei

    PhilÅ Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:12:31 +0100, in
    > <bilnnl$amh0h$-berlin.de>
    > PhilÅ scrawled:
    >

    > >> Wrong, if you have 33,000 at 6% then at 5% you
    > >> would get more not less (27,500)
    > >>
    > >> At 5% you would actually get 35.500 Pages.
    > >>

    > >Sorry correction you would get 38,500, Jesus my head hurts..

    > How can you get *more* at a lower percentage? Are you seriously

    Of course you would... at 6% coverage you get 33,000 pages, so at only 3%
    coverage (Half the toner used for each page) you would get 66,000 pages.....
    So as the question was if 6% is 33,000 what is 5% coverage, less toner used
    more pages, I work it out at 38,500 pages at 5% coverage.

    PhilÅ, Aug 28, 2003
  9. mary wei

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:26:47 +0100, in
    <biloid$aj6m9$-berlin.de>
    PhilÅ scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:12:31 +0100, in
    >> <bilnnl$amh0h$-berlin.de>
    >> PhilÅ scrawled:

    >> >Sorry correction you would get 38,500, Jesus my head hurts..

    >> How can you get *more* at a lower percentage? Are you seriously

    >Of course you would... at 6% coverage you get 33,000 pages, so at only 3%
    >coverage (Half the toner used for each page) you would get 66,000 pages.....
    >So as the question was if 6% is 33,000 what is 5% coverage, less toner used
    >more pages, I work it out at 38,500 pages at 5% coverage.

    You are mis-interpreting "coverage". Coverage is the percentage
    of a page surface that is 'covered' by the ink. Therefore, the higher
    the percentage of coverage, the more ink is used, and the less
    copies you will get. The industry standard is 5% coverage.

    http://www.inetsupermall.com/inkjets/laser.htm
    http://www.buyerzone.com/office_equipment/copiers-color/buyers_guide5.html
    http://www.okidata.com/mkt/html/nf/ARSReport.html

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 28, 2003
  10. mary wei

    fkasner Guest

    bb3 wrote:

    > "mary wei" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello Everybody,
    >>
    >>Is someone good at math. I'm trying to figure out toner coverage.
    >>
    >>If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
    >>copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
    >>
    >>Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
    >>come up again.
    >>
    >>Thanks!

    > 33,000 * 5 = 165,000/6 = 27,500???

    Can't you see that that result is clearly incorrect! You use less tone
    per print and thus get fewer prints? Clearly need some ability to reason!
    FK

    fkasner, Aug 28, 2003
  11. mary wei

    fkasner Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > It would make 27,500 - do the rest of your homework yourself;
    > that's how you will truly learn. Look up percentages in your
    > reference books.
    >

    > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:40:30 GMT, in
    > <>
    > mary wei scrawled:
    >

    >>Hello Everybody,
    >>
    >>Is someone good at math. I'm trying to figure out toner coverage.
    >>
    >>If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
    >>copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
    >>
    >>Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
    >>come up again.
    >>
    >>Thanks!

    Another dummy who thinks that using less toner per print leads to fewer
    prints from the cartridge. Sounds like somebody who works at the White
    House telling us how beneficial their economic policies are to us.
    FK

    fkasner, Aug 28, 2003
  12. mary wei

    PhilÅ Guest

    "fkasner" <> wrote in message
    > bb3 wrote:
    >
    > > "mary wei" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hello Everybody,
    > >>
    > >>Is someone good at math. I'm trying to figure out toner coverage.
    > >>
    > >>If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
    > >>copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
    > >>
    > >>Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
    > >>come up again.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks!

    > > 33,000 * 5 = 165,000/6 = 27,500???
    > >

    > Can't you see that that result is clearly incorrect! You use less tone
    > per print and thus get fewer prints? Clearly need some ability to reason!
    > FK

    If you use less toner per page, 6% down to 5% then you will get MORE
    pages...

    PhilÅ, Aug 28, 2003
  13. mary wei

    bb3 Guest

    "fkasner" <> wrote in message
    > bb3 wrote:
    >
    > > "mary wei" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hello Everybody,
    > >>
    > >>Is someone good at math. I'm trying to figure out toner coverage.
    > >>
    > >>If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
    > >>copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
    > >>
    > >>Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
    > >>come up again.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks!

    > > 33,000 * 5 = 165,000/6 = 27,500???
    > >

    > Can't you see that that result is clearly incorrect! You use less tone
    > per print and thus get fewer prints? Clearly need some ability to reason!
    > FK

    What did you think the question marks were for? Idiot.

    bb3, Aug 28, 2003
  14. mary wei

    Guest Guest

    Re: - Need math help on toner coverage - 39,600

    "mary wei" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Everybody,
    >
    > Is someone good at math. I'm trying to figure out toner coverage.
    >
    > If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
    > copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
    >
    > Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
    > come up again.
    >
    > Thanks!

    some previous answers seem to forget the following:

    for the fixed amount of toner in the cartridge,
    lowering percentage coverage REDUCES amount of toner PER PAGE
    so would INCREASE the TOTAL number of pages printable

    So, for 33,000 pages @ 6% coverage

    6/5 = 1.2

    so 33,000 * 1.2 = 39,600

    or putting it another way:

    33,000 * 6 = 198,000

    198,000 / 5 = 39,600

    Guest, Aug 28, 2003
  15. mary wei

    PhilÅ Guest

    Re: - Need math help on toner coverage - 39,600

    Yep, I am still awaiting the apology from oMIKEo..

    PhilÅ, Aug 28, 2003
  16. mary wei

    Liz Guest

    "mary wei" <> wrote
    > Hello Everybody,
    >
    > Is someone good at math. I'm trying to figure out toner coverage.
    >
    > If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
    > copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
    >
    > Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
    > come up again.

    Divide 6 by 5 = 1.2

    Then multiply 33,000 x 1.2 = 39,600 copies.

    Courtesy of Liz's husband. :)

    Liz, Aug 28, 2003
  17. mary wei

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:45:41 +0100, in
    <bilplr$audmo$-berlin.de>
    PhilÅ scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:26:47 +0100, in
    >> <biloid$aj6m9$-berlin.de>
    >> PhilÅ scrawled:
    >>

    >> >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >> >Of course you would... at 6% coverage you get 33,000 pages, so at only 3%
    >> >coverage (Half the toner used for each page) you would get 66,000

    >pages.....
    >> >So as the question was if 6% is 33,000 what is 5% coverage, less toner

    >used
    >> >more pages, I work it out at 38,500 pages at 5% coverage.

    >> You are mis-interpreting "coverage". Coverage is the percentage
    >> of a page surface that is 'covered' by the ink. Therefore, the higher
    >> the percentage of coverage, the more ink is used, and the less
    >> copies you will get. The industry standard is 5% coverage.
    >>

    >Yes I understand that, the original question was at 6% coverage gives 33,000
    >what would 5% give, well the answer is more not less....

    You're right. Excuse me while I slink away and bury my head.... :eek:)

    °Mike°, Aug 28, 2003
  18. mary wei

    bb3 Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:45:41 +0100, in
    > <bilplr$audmo$-berlin.de>
    > PhilÅ scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:26:47 +0100, in
    > >> <biloid$aj6m9$-berlin.de>
    > >> PhilÅ scrawled:

    3%

    > >pages.....

    > >used
    > >>
    > >> You are mis-interpreting "coverage". Coverage is the percentage
    > >> of a page surface that is 'covered' by the ink. Therefore, the higher
    > >> the percentage of coverage, the more ink is used, and the less
    > >> copies you will get. The industry standard is 5% coverage.
    > >>

    > >Yes I understand that, the original question was at 6% coverage gives

    33,000
    > >what would 5% give, well the answer is more not less....

    > You're right. Excuse me while I slink away and bury my head.... :eek:)

    I'll join you.

    I think I need a refresher course.

    bb3, Aug 28, 2003
  19. mary wei

    Patrick Guest

    Patrick wrote:
    > mary wei wrote:
    >> Hello Everybody,
    >>
    >> Is someone good at math. I'm trying to figure out toner coverage.
    >>
    >> If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
    >> copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
    >>
    >> Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
    >> come up again.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > Heres my answer without reading anyone elses reply.
    > (wake up the boy at the back)
    >
    > 6% = (6/100) = 0.06
    > 5% = (5/100) = 0.05
    >
    > 33000*0.06=1980
    >
    > 1980*0.05=39600

    divide ^ I meant

    Patrick, Aug 28, 2003
  20. mary wei

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:02:35 GMT, in
    <L5u3b.118841$>
    bb3 scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> You're right. Excuse me while I slink away and bury my head.... :eek:)
    >>

    >I'll join you.
    >
    >I think I need a refresher course.

    That makes two of us.

    --
    "I wonder if any of my teachers are still alive."

    °Mike°, Aug 28, 2003