need mail server for newsletter mailouts

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Boppy, Dec 10, 2009.

  1. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Hi guys, I have two mail servers - one is a hosted exchange server
    with Domainz and the other is Xtra. Neither let me send more than 20
    emails at a time and when I do try, Outlook 07 crashes.

    To get my newsletters out to a database of 900 names I've had to
    subscribe to Promotions Manager: http://www.webcentral.com.au/onlinebusinesstools.php?p=promotionsmanager

    It's the least expensive option I've found - $50 per month plus around
    2c per email address sent to. However, it's not ideal for much more
    than straight emails to one simple database.

    I want to set up the open source CRM Sugar http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/
    but I'm still going to be stuck with an outwward mail server that is
    throttled.

    I'd be interested to know if anyone can suggest a server more suited
    to my purposes. Doesn't have to be in New Zealand, doesn't have to be
    free, just has to let me do my job.

    Thanks in advance for advice,
    Jo

    Boppy, Dec 10, 2009

  2. Boppy

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Boppy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys, I have two mail servers - one is a hosted exchange server
    > with Domainz and the other is Xtra. Neither let me send more than 20
    > emails at a time and when I do try, Outlook 07 crashes.
    >
    > To get my newsletters out to a database of 900 names I've had to
    > subscribe to Promotions Manager:
    > http://www.webcentral.com.au/onlinebusinesstools.php?p=promotionsmanager
    >
    > It's the least expensive option I've found - $50 per month plus around
    > 2c per email address sent to. However, it's not ideal for much more
    > than straight emails to one simple database.
    >
    > I want to set up the open source CRM Sugar http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/
    > but I'm still going to be stuck with an outwward mail server that is
    > throttled.
    >
    > I'd be interested to know if anyone can suggest a server more suited
    > to my purposes. Doesn't have to be in New Zealand, doesn't have to be
    > free, just has to let me do my job.

    MailChimp

    Nik Coughlin, Dec 10, 2009

  3. Boppy

    EMB Guest

    Boppy wrote:
    > Hi guys, I have two mail servers - one is a hosted exchange server
    > with Domainz and the other is Xtra. Neither let me send more than 20
    > emails at a time and when I do try, Outlook 07 crashes.
    >
    > To get my newsletters out to a database of 900 names I've had to
    > subscribe to Promotions Manager: http://www.webcentral.com.au/onlinebusinesstools.php?p=promotionsmanager
    >
    > It's the least expensive option I've found - $50 per month plus around
    > 2c per email address sent to. However, it's not ideal for much more
    > than straight emails to one simple database.
    >
    > I want to set up the open source CRM Sugar http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/
    > but I'm still going to be stuck with an outwward mail server that is
    > throttled.
    >
    > I'd be interested to know if anyone can suggest a server more suited
    > to my purposes. Doesn't have to be in New Zealand, doesn't have to be
    > free, just has to let me do my job.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for advice,
    > Jo

    A cheap and cheerful (sub $100/year) hosting package with Kiwihosting
    <http://www.kiwihosting.net> will give you a mailserver that AFAIK
    doesn't limit the number of recipients to a message. I'd suggest you
    email support <at> kiwihosting.net and ask if this will work.

    EMB, Dec 10, 2009
  4. Boppy

    Richard Guest

    Boppy wrote:
    > Hi guys, I have two mail servers - one is a hosted exchange server
    > with Domainz and the other is Xtra. Neither let me send more than 20
    > emails at a time and when I do try, Outlook 07 crashes.
    >
    > To get my newsletters out to a database of 900 names I've had to
    > subscribe to Promotions Manager: http://www.webcentral.com.au/onlinebusinesstools.php?p=promotionsmanager
    >
    > It's the least expensive option I've found - $50 per month plus around
    > 2c per email address sent to. However, it's not ideal for much more
    > than straight emails to one simple database.
    >
    > I want to set up the open source CRM Sugar http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/
    > but I'm still going to be stuck with an outwward mail server that is
    > throttled.
    >
    > I'd be interested to know if anyone can suggest a server more suited
    > to my purposes. Doesn't have to be in New Zealand, doesn't have to be
    > free, just has to let me do my job.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for advice,
    > Jo

    Each mail should have only one recipient so that you can have the
    correct unsubscribe links in it, and put the address it is going to in
    the message so that people know what one to put if they have to for
    unsubscribing.

    It also means you can tag the links in it to help sort out your dead
    addresses that do not load the message or the content and stop wasting
    time sending to them.

    If you are just trying to BCC everyone and using random mail servers
    that do not have SPF records set up then chances are most will go into
    peoples spam folders anyway.

    Richard, Dec 10, 2009
  5. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <hfprim$mk$>, says...

    > Boppy wrote:
    > > Hi guys, I have two mail servers - one is a hosted exchange server
    > > with Domainz and the other is Xtra. Neither let me send more than 20
    > > emails at a time and when I do try, Outlook 07 crashes.
    > >
    > > To get my newsletters out to a database of 900 names I've had to
    > > subscribe to Promotions Manager: http://www.webcentral.com.au/onlinebusinesstools.php?p=promotionsmanager
    > >
    > > It's the least expensive option I've found - $50 per month plus around
    > > 2c per email address sent to. However, it's not ideal for much more
    > > than straight emails to one simple database.
    > >
    > > I want to set up the open source CRM Sugar http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/
    > > but I'm still going to be stuck with an outwward mail server that is
    > > throttled.
    > >
    > > I'd be interested to know if anyone can suggest a server more suited
    > > to my purposes. Doesn't have to be in New Zealand, doesn't have to be
    > > free, just has to let me do my job.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for advice,
    > > Jo

    > A cheap and cheerful (sub $100/year) hosting package with Kiwihosting
    > <http://www.kiwihosting.net> will give you a mailserver that AFAIK
    > doesn't limit the number of recipients to a message. I'd suggest you
    > email support <at> kiwihosting.net and ask if this will work.

    If they're a responsible crowd - then wouldn't it be responsible and
    prudent to have such a limit?

    I know *I* certainaly impose limits on all the servers I look after - I
    usually set 60.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Dec 10, 2009
  6. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On Dec 10, 3:39 pm, Boppy <> wrote:
    > Hi guys, I have two mail servers - one is a hosted exchange server
    > with Domainz and the other is Xtra. Neither let me send more than 20
    > emails at a time and when I do try, Outlook 07 crashes.
    >
    > To get my newsletters out to a database of 900 names I've had to
    > subscribe to Promotions Manager:http://www.webcentral.com.au/onlinebusinesstools.php?p=promotionsmanager
    >
    > It's the least expensive option I've found - $50 per month plus around
    > 2c per email address sent to. However, it's not ideal for much more
    > than straight emails to one simple database.
    >
    > I want to set up the open source CRM Sugarhttp://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/
    > but I'm still going to be stuck with an outwward mail server that is
    > throttled.
    >
    > I'd be interested to know if anyone can suggest a server more suited
    > to my purposes. Doesn't have to be in New Zealand, doesn't have to be
    > free, just has to let me do my job.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for advice,
    > Jo

    Thanks for replies. I've emailed Mail chimp about their server pricing
    but no reply yet. I'll have a chat to kiwihosting too, thanks EMB.
    Richard, I've only ever used one address per mail - initially with
    Outlook/Word mail merge, and now with Promotions Manager. I don't
    agree with the cc/bcc way lots of people do it.
    Duncan, you are obviously not interested in dealing with any marketing
    companies. A 60 address limit is absolutely useless to someone like me
    sending a newsletter to a subscription list of 900. It would take all
    day to break my database down to 60 address worksheets to mail.

    Boppy, Dec 11, 2009
  7. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On Dec 10, 4:57 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > Boppy wrote:
    > > Hi guys, I have two mail servers - one is a hosted exchange server
    > > with Domainz and the other is Xtra. Neither let me send more than 20
    > > emails at a time and when I do try, Outlook 07 crashes.

    > > To get my newsletters out to a database of 900 names I've had to
    > > subscribe to Promotions Manager:http://www.webcentral.com.au/onlinebusinesstools.php?p=promotionsmanager

    > > It's the least expensive option I've found - $50 per month plus around
    > > 2c per email address sent to. However, it's not ideal for much more
    > > than straight emails to one simple database.

    > > I want to set up the open source CRM Sugarhttp://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/
    > > but I'm still going to be stuck with an outwward mail server that is
    > > throttled.

    > > I'd be interested to know if anyone can suggest a server more suited
    > > to my purposes. Doesn't have to be in New Zealand, doesn't have to be
    > > free, just has to let me do my job.

    > > Thanks in advance for advice,
    > > Jo

    > A cheap and cheerful (sub $100/year) hosting package with Kiwihosting
    > <http://www.kiwihosting.net> will give you a mailserver that AFAIK
    > doesn't limit the number of recipients to a message.  I'd suggest you
    > email support <at> kiwihosting.net and ask if this will work.

    Thanks for your suggestion. They advise that if Xtra is my ISP then my
    default SMTP server is Xtra, which limits numbers.
    Would there be a way around that, eg having a second ISP?

    Boppy, Dec 20, 2009
  8. Boppy

    EMB Guest

    Boppy wrote:
    > On Dec 10, 4:57 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    >> Boppy wrote:
    >> A cheap and cheerful (sub $100/year) hosting package with Kiwihosting
    >> <http://www.kiwihosting.net> will give you a mailserver that AFAIK
    >> doesn't limit the number of recipients to a message. I'd suggest you
    >> email support <at> kiwihosting.net and ask if this will work.

    > Thanks for your suggestion. They advise that if Xtra is my ISP then my
    > default SMTP server is Xtra, which limits numbers.
    > Would there be a way around that, eg having a second ISP?

    Sign up for one of their hosting packages then use the SMTP server that
    is part of their hosting package. They support SMTP submission on ports
    other than 25 to overcome Xtra blocking port 25.

    EMB, Dec 20, 2009
  9. Boppy

    Carnations Guest

    On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 21:54:58 -0800, Boppy wrote:

    > Would there be a way
    > around that, eg having a second ISP?

    Have you considered purchasing email hosting services from a third party so that you have your own
    private email server, and setting up a email list server so that you only have to send one email to it and
    it automatically emails all persons that are subscribed to that email list?

    There are several good applications, and some of them a GPL'd - free.

    Carnations, Dec 20, 2009