Need Macintosh Scanner Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TaoSurfer, Oct 29, 2004.

  1. TaoSurfer

    TaoSurfer Guest

    Hello All,

    I'm running a Mac G4 with OSX. Ever since updating to OSX, I can no longer use
    the two scanners I own. My first scanner is a Nikon Coolscan III LS-20. It
    connects to the computer via SCSI, which OSX does not support. I use that for
    slide and negative scanning. My second scanner is a UMAX 4000U, that they
    stopped supporting on the Mac once OSX was released. This is a flatbed scanner
    that I used for a variety of scanning needs.

    I haven't scanned for a while now as I am now shooting almost entirely digital
    with my Nikon D100. Ever since setting up my website I now want to go back and
    look at old slides and negatives. I've removed any system other than OSX in my
    Mac and am now in need of a new scanner.

    I would like to buy a flatbed scanner that is cabable of scanning in slides and
    negatives. Since I am primarily shooting digital now, I do not want to spend
    the extra money purchasing a separate dedicated slide/negative scanner. I
    would like it to have a high resolution as I will be printing 8x10s (sometimes
    even larger) on a regular basis.

    I have not been following the latest scanner releases and would love some
    advice.

    Anything you can pass on would be appreciated!

    Chris Jett
    www.ChrisJett.com
    /

    ~Stay in Focus~

    TaoSurfer, Oct 29, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    (TaoSurfer) wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'm running a Mac G4 with OSX. Ever since updating to OSX, I can no longer
    > use
    > the two scanners I own. My first scanner is a Nikon Coolscan III LS-20. It
    > connects to the computer via SCSI, which OSX does not support. I use that
    > for
    > slide and negative scanning. My second scanner is a UMAX 4000U, that they
    > stopped supporting on the Mac once OSX was released. This is a flatbed
    > scanner
    > that I used for a variety of scanning needs.
    >
    > I haven't scanned for a while now as I am now shooting almost entirely
    > digital
    > with my Nikon D100. Ever since setting up my website I now want to go back
    > and
    > look at old slides and negatives. I've removed any system other than OSX in
    > my
    > Mac and am now in need of a new scanner.
    >
    > I would like to buy a flatbed scanner that is cabable of scanning in slides
    > and
    > negatives. Since I am primarily shooting digital now, I do not want to spend
    > the extra money purchasing a separate dedicated slide/negative scanner. I
    > would like it to have a high resolution as I will be printing 8x10s
    > (sometimes
    > even larger) on a regular basis.
    >
    > I have not been following the latest scanner releases and would love some
    > advice.
    >
    > Anything you can pass on would be appreciated!
    >
    > Chris Jett
    > www.ChrisJett.com
    > /
    >
    > ~Stay in Focus~

    Canon supports OS X. Unfortunately their software is clumsy on all
    platforms.

    OS X does support SCSI. The problem is that most scanner software uses
    the SCSI Manager API that Apple declared would die along with the
    MC68030 processor. That old API isn't sophisticated enough to reliably
    select SCSI devices on modern hardware.

    Third-party drivers are able to use SCSI scanners on OS X. You might
    also find software that assists the old SCSI Manager. Orange Micro used
    to provide one for free.

    Ask in news:comp.sys.mac.system too.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Oct 30, 2004

  3. TaoSurfer

    Geir Guest

    On 2004-10-29 17:52:40 +0200, (TaoSurfer) said:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'm running a Mac G4 with OSX. Ever since updating to OSX, I can no longer use
    > the two scanners I own. My first scanner is a Nikon Coolscan III LS-20. It
    > connects to the computer via SCSI, which OSX does not support. I use that for
    > slide and negative scanning. My second scanner is a UMAX 4000U, that they
    > stopped supporting on the Mac once OSX was released. This is a flatbed scanner
    > that I used for a variety of scanning needs.
    >
    > I haven't scanned for a while now as I am now shooting almost entirely digital
    > with my Nikon D100. Ever since setting up my website I now want to go back and
    > look at old slides and negatives. I've removed any system other than OSX in my
    > Mac and am now in need of a new scanner.
    >
    > I would like to buy a flatbed scanner that is cabable of scanning in slides and
    > negatives. Since I am primarily shooting digital now, I do not want to spend
    > the extra money purchasing a separate dedicated slide/negative scanner. I
    > would like it to have a high resolution as I will be printing 8x10s (sometimes
    > even larger) on a regular basis.
    >
    > I have not been following the latest scanner releases and would love some
    > advice.
    >
    > Anything you can pass on would be appreciated!
    >
    > Chris Jett
    > www.ChrisJett.com
    > /
    >
    > ~Stay in Focus~

    I haven't read the thread here, but Epson 2480 or 2580 are recommended.
    No matter where you go, there you are
    Geir Ertzgaard
    iBook g3/500
    iBook G4/977
    iMac G4/1.2
    iMac G3/233
    Minolta Dimage 5
    Minolta Dimage F100
    Minolta Dynax 5

    Geir, Oct 31, 2004
  4. TaoSurfer

    George Kerby Guest

    On 10/31/04 2:28 AM, in article , "Geir"
    <> wrote:

    > On 2004-10-29 17:52:40 +0200, (TaoSurfer) said:
    >
    >> Hello All,
    >>
    >> I'm running a Mac G4 with OSX. Ever since updating to OSX, I can no longer
    >> use
    >> the two scanners I own. My first scanner is a Nikon Coolscan III LS-20. It
    >> connects to the computer via SCSI, which OSX does not support. I use that
    >> for
    >> slide and negative scanning. My second scanner is a UMAX 4000U, that they
    >> stopped supporting on the Mac once OSX was released. This is a flatbed
    >> scanner
    >> that I used for a variety of scanning needs.
    >>
    >> I haven't scanned for a while now as I am now shooting almost entirely
    >> digital
    >> with my Nikon D100. Ever since setting up my website I now want to go back
    >> and
    >> look at old slides and negatives. I've removed any system other than OSX in
    >> my
    >> Mac and am now in need of a new scanner.
    >>
    >> I would like to buy a flatbed scanner that is cabable of scanning in slides
    >> and
    >> negatives. Since I am primarily shooting digital now, I do not want to spend
    >> the extra money purchasing a separate dedicated slide/negative scanner. I
    >> would like it to have a high resolution as I will be printing 8x10s
    >> (sometimes
    >> even larger) on a regular basis.
    >>
    >> I have not been following the latest scanner releases and would love some
    >> advice.
    >>
    >> Anything you can pass on would be appreciated!
    >>
    >> Chris Jett
    >> www.ChrisJett.com
    >> /
    >>
    >> ~Stay in Focus~

    > I haven't read the thread here, but Epson 2480 or 2580 are recommended.

    Epson Perfection 4870 is your scanner. The fact that it can do negs and tps
    is a added feature. It has digital ICE and has both USB2 (for my G5) and
    Firewire (to my G4). It has a low-power standby. I had the same problem as
    you and my $2000 Microtek fetched me $100 on auction. Oh well. Anyway, check
    it out. Street price ~$400. The software is also Mac friendly.

    George Kerby, Nov 1, 2004