    Thanks for any suggestions!
    -Liam
    , Jan 9, 2008

  2. Rudy Benner Guest

    Re: Need low resource, simple image editor that handles CMYK, Tif, and postscript.

    Short answer is Irfanview.

    http://www.irfanview.com/

    Free.

    Rudy Benner, Jan 10, 2008

  3. Milind Joshi Guest

    On Jan 9, 5:58 pm, wrote:
    > We have a Customer Service rep in the office who has to not just
    > review images but has to be able to get CMYK values of color
    > selections, and handle nearly any type of image.
    > But her PC is somewhat old, has 512MB RAM, and can't really handle
    > (nor can we afford) Photoshop. That'd be overkill anyway--she doesn't
    > make or edit images.
    >
    > What can we get that's free or cheap, runs on Windows, and doesn't
    > take as much system resources?
    >
    > As I understand Gimp doesn't handle SMYK, and PaintShoPro has issues
    > with postscript files like EPS and PSD. Can anything outside an Adobe
    > product handle AI files? (Rarely encountered, but we do sometimes.)
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions!
    > -Liam

    irfanview is great. Most imaging professionals have been using it for
    many, many years. I have been using it for over 7-8 years now.
    another excellent tool Imagemagick, which has more power for photoshop-
    like features.
    http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

    Regards,
    Milind
    Milind Joshi, Jan 10, 2008
  4. Guest

    On Jan 10, 6:34 am, Milind Joshi <> wrote:
    > On Jan 9, 5:58 pm, wrote:
    >

    > > We have a Customer Service rep in the office who has to not just
    > > review images but has to be able to get CMYK values of color
    > > selections, and handle nearly any type of image.
    > > But her PC is somewhat old, has 512MB RAM, and can't really handle
    > > (nor can we afford) Photoshop. That'd be overkill anyway--she doesn't
    > > make or edit images.

    > > What can we get that's free or cheap, runs on Windows, and doesn't
    > > take as much system resources?

    > > As I understand Gimp doesn't handle SMYK, and PaintShoPro has issues
    > > with postscript files like EPS and PSD. Can anything outside an Adobe
    > > product handle AI files? (Rarely encountered, but we do sometimes.)

    > > Thanks for any suggestions!
    > > -Liam

    > irfanview is great. Most imaging professionals have been using it for
    > many, many years. I have been using it for over 7-8 years now.
    > another excellent tool Imagemagick, which has more power for photoshop-
    > like features.http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php
    >
    > Regards,
    > Milind

    Yeah, Imagemagick is great, but it's command line.
    I need something with a GUI in Windows.
    Thanks,
    Liam
    , Jan 11, 2008
  5. Guest

    Re: Need low resource, simple image editor that handles CMYK, Tif,and postscript.

    Hmm, looks interesting, but it doesn't seem to handle CMYK well, or at
    all.
    And good CMYK support is absolutely vital!
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    -Liam

    On Jan 9, 6:39 pm, "Rudy Benner" <> wrote:
    > Short answer is Irfanview.
    >
    > http://www.irfanview.com/
    >
    > Free.
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > > We have a Customer Service rep in the office who has to not just
    > > review images but has to be able to get CMYK values of color
    > > selections, and handle nearly any type of image.
    > > But her PC is somewhat old, has 512MB RAM, and can't really handle
    > > (nor can we afford) Photoshop. That'd be overkill anyway--she doesn't
    > > make or edit images.

    > > What can we get that's free or cheap, runs on Windows, and doesn't
    > > take as much system resources?

    > > As I understand Gimp doesn't handle SMYK, and PaintShoPro has issues
    > > with postscript files like EPS and PSD. Can anything outside an Adobe
    > > product handle AI files? (Rarely encountered, but we do sometimes.)

    > > Thanks for any suggestions!
    > > -Liam
    , Jan 11, 2008
  6. Re: Need low resource, simple image editor that handles CMYK, Tif,and postscript.

    wrote:
    > On Jan 10, 6:34 am, Milind Joshi <> wrote:
    >> On Jan 9, 5:58 pm, wrote:
    >>

    >>> We have a Customer Service rep in the office who has to not just
    >>> review images but has to be able to get CMYK values of color
    >>> selections, and handle nearly any type of image.
    >>> But her PC is somewhat old, has 512MB RAM, and can't really handle
    >>> (nor can we afford) Photoshop. That'd be overkill anyway--she doesn't
    >>> make or edit images.

    Do you mean she also doesn't convert images? I think these tools will
    find and report the values, but that isn't the same as color management.

    http://www.simtel.net/product.php?id=75607 Meazure can sample a mouse
    selected area of the screen and generate a RGP composition report.

    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/...nd_Compression_Tools/RGB_CMYK_calculator.html

    "A tiny tool to get RGB-values (linear, no gamma) converted into
    corresponding CMYK-values and into gray-scale, and vice-versa. Accepting
    and showing all components in decimal (0-255), percent (0%-100%) and hex
    (00-ff) format with instant conversion. Offering a compound read-only
    field containing RGB or CMYK in hex format for direct copy into e.g.
    HTML-documents. Now additionally: paste a bitmap from clipboard into a
    small picker-area and use integrated color-picker to get the RGB-value
    from it."

    >>> What can we get that's free or cheap, runs on Windows, and doesn't
    >>> take as much system resources?
    >>> As I understand Gimp doesn't handle SMYK, and PaintShoPro has issues
    >>> with postscript files like EPS and PSD. Can anything outside an Adobe
    >>> product handle AI files? (Rarely encountered, but we do sometimes.)
    >>> Thanks for any suggestions!
    >>> -Liam

    There are apps not Adobe, but I think they tend to use pdf. For instance
    ImageMagick uses Ghostscript to convert to pdf although GS is optional.
    You're sure she doesn't need a method more capable re: color management?

    "They are said to be "out of the CMYK color gamut". What happens is that
    the RGB-to-CMYK translator just gets as close as possible to the
    appearance of the original and that's as good as it can be."

    http://americanprinter.com/mag/rgb_cmyk_0605/

    "Color management is absolutely essential. While color reproduction has
    always been "managed" for print production, color management today is
    almost purely electronic. Simply put, every device in the workflow that
    touches color—computers, monitors, digital cameras, scanners, proofers
    and printers—captures, displays or outputs color a little differently.
    Color management takes into account the different capabilities of image
    capture devices, display devices and output devices, and helps ensure
    the color displayed on one computer monitor can closely match another,
    or that a proof from an inkjet printer approximates what will be
    produced on a press.

    Photoshop, however, is not the only option for desktop-level color
    conversion. You can use an image editing application, such as the
    Windows-based Picture Window Pro offered by Digital Light & Color
    (Cambridge, MA) or Binuscan’s (Hartsdale, NY) CMYK+. Scanner interface
    software (Binuscan ColorPro, LaserSoft Imaging’s SilverFast, Creo
    oXYgen, or Heidelberg’s LinoColor) naturally allow for conversion to
    CMYK, much like the drum scanners of old. The latest version of Adobe’s
    Acrobat[Pro]Distiller includes an option to convert color to CMYK. And
    the Mac operating system’s "Save as PDF" allows savvy users to create
    ColorSync filters to be used to convert images, text or vector artwork
    to CMYK using ICC profiles in the process of creating a PDF file."

    It's a universal principle that something is always lost in translation,
    Stephen
    Stephen Harris, Jan 12, 2008