need linux help please

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Oct 3, 2005.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:15:55 +1300, Alan wrote:

    > If you have an ISO file then, based on my burning software, I think
    > you just tell it to burn using the ISO as the source, and check a box
    > somewhere to make the output CD bootable.

    An iso file of an image of a CD. Just burn to CD as an iso image and
    all the files will be the same, and in the same places as on the
    orginal CD. If the orginal CD boots so will/should any CD's burnt
    from the orginals iso image.

    Gordon, Oct 3, 2005

  2. Hi all
    Decided to have a go with linux on a spare machine with looking to the
    future of getting all (5) machines on to the same OS.

    1/ downloaded ubuntu (spare bandwidth last month) burnt to cd but cant
    get it to install. ?how do I make a bootable cd with the download i
    got.(ubuntu-5.10-preview-install-i386)

    2/ Got pi33ed off with that and put slackware on it did install but
    then asked for a login that I thought i remembered but wouldn't let me
    in.

    3/more pi33ed off installed lycoris wrote down the passwords this time
    same bleeping thing happens, it loads up and gets to the login screen
    and wont let me log in.

    So the ?'s are what am i doing wrong?
    I have put mandrake on a while ago but did'nt like it much (to slow)
    had a couple of live cd knoppix for example which i liked.

    So i want to know how to put ubuntu on to a cd to install
    and how to get around the login on lycoris i have tryed to login to
    root but it wont let me do that it just stays at the login screen.

    any help?

    thanks

    me.at@yahoo..co..nz, Oct 3, 2005

  3. Gordon

    Alan Guest

    <me.at@yahoo..co..nz> wrote in message

    > 1/ downloaded ubuntu (spare bandwidth last month) burnt to cd but

    cant
    > get it to install. ?how do I make a bootable cd with the download i
    > got.(ubuntu-5.10-preview-install-i386)

    {Snipped parts I cannot help with}

    > So i want to know how to put ubuntu on to a cd to install
    > and how to get around the login on lycoris i have tryed to login to
    > root but it wont let me do that it just stays at the login screen.

    If you have an ISO file then, based on my burning software, I think
    you just tell it to burn using the ISO as the source, and check a box
    somewhere to make the output CD bootable.

    Perhaps check the help file for your burning software?

    FWIW I use Padus Discjuggler but I guess that other products are
    similar.

    HTH,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address

    Alan, Oct 3, 2005
  4. Gordon

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:15:55 +1300, Alan wrote:

    > <me.at@yahoo..co..nz> wrote in message
    >>
    >> 1/ downloaded ubuntu (spare bandwidth last month) burnt to cd but

    > cant
    >> get it to install. ?how do I make a bootable cd with the download i
    >> got.(ubuntu-5.10-preview-install-i386)
    >>

    > {Snipped parts I cannot help with}
    >

    >> So i want to know how to put ubuntu on to a cd to install and how to get
    >> around the login on lycoris i have tryed to login to root but it wont
    >> let me do that it just stays at the login screen.
    >>

    > If you have an ISO file then, based on my burning software, I think you
    > just tell it to burn using the ISO as the source, and check a box
    > somewhere to make the output CD bootable.
    >
    > Perhaps check the help file for your burning software?
    >
    > FWIW I use Padus Discjuggler but I guess that other products are similar.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Alan.

    The other thing to double check is that the image you have downloaded
    hasnt been corrupted.
    On a *nix machine I use md5sum <filename>
    The output of which I compare to the main sites list of md5sums

    Shane, Oct 3, 2005
  5. Gordon

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:07:16 +1300, me.at wrote:

    > Hi all
    > Decided to have a go with linux on a spare machine with looking to the
    > future of getting all (5) machines on to the same OS.
    >
    > 1/ downloaded ubuntu (spare bandwidth last month) burnt to cd but cant get
    > it to install. ?how do I make a bootable cd with the download i
    > got.(ubuntu-5.10-preview-install-i386)

    md5sum your image to double check it isnt corrupted
    assuming its ok use these instructions to burn it
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#isoburning

    > 2/ Got pi33ed off with that and put slackware on it did install but then
    > asked for a login that I thought i remembered but wouldn't let me in.

    boot to single user mode (google will help)
    and reset roots password

    Shane, Oct 3, 2005
  6. Gordon

    MarkH Guest

    me.at@yahoo..co..nz wrote in news:4hb1k153eg5kvjhppotg4pdkdli1b608ep@
    4ax.com:

    > Hi all
    > Decided to have a go with linux on a spare machine with looking to the
    > future of getting all (5) machines on to the same OS.
    >
    > 1/ downloaded ubuntu (spare bandwidth last month) burnt to cd but cant
    > get it to install. ?how do I make a bootable cd with the download i
    > got.(ubuntu-5.10-preview-install-i386)

    Presumably the downloaded file is an .iso file?

    From Nero there is an option to 'burn image' from the 'recorder' menu.

    > So the ?'s are what am i doing wrong?
    > I have put mandrake on a while ago but didn't like it much (to slow)
    > had a couple of live cd knoppix for example which i liked.

    I have installed Kubuntu 5.04 on the weekend, but don't like it (basically
    I think that it is pretty crap). I also like Knoppix and have installed
    Knoppix 3.9 onto a HDD - it is much better than Kubuntu (both are based on
    Debian and use the KDE GUI).

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 3, 2005
  7. Gordon

    Chris Hope Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > me.at@yahoo..co..nz wrote in news:4hb1k153eg5kvjhppotg4pdkdli1b608ep@
    > 4ax.com:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >> Decided to have a go with linux on a spare machine with looking to
    >> the future of getting all (5) machines on to the same OS.
    >>
    >> 1/ downloaded ubuntu (spare bandwidth last month) burnt to cd but
    >> cant get it to install. ?how do I make a bootable cd with the
    >> download i got.(ubuntu-5.10-preview-install-i386)

    > Presumably the downloaded file is an .iso file?
    >
    > From Nero there is an option to 'burn image' from the 'recorder' menu.
    >
    >> So the ?'s are what am i doing wrong?
    >> I have put mandrake on a while ago but didn't like it much (to slow)
    >> had a couple of live cd knoppix for example which i liked.

    > I have installed Kubuntu 5.04 on the weekend, but don't like it
    > (basically
    > I think that it is pretty crap). I also like Knoppix and have
    > installed Knoppix 3.9 onto a HDD - it is much better than Kubuntu
    > (both are based on Debian and use the KDE GUI).

    Out of interest, why do you not like it? And Kubuntu too for that
    matter?

    Chris Hope, Oct 3, 2005
  8. Gordon

    Robert Cooze Guest

    me.at@yahoo..co..nz wrote:
    > Hi all
    > Decided to have a go with linux on a spare machine with looking to the
    > future of getting all (5) machines on to the same OS.

    Cool

    > 1/ downloaded ubuntu (spare bandwidth last month) burnt to cd but cant
    > get it to install. ?how do I make a bootable cd with the download i
    > got.(ubuntu-5.10-preview-install-i386)

    Cant help you there faulty ISO immage? Md5sum it? hint google md5sum

    > 2/ Got pi33ed off with that and put slackware on it did install but
    > then asked for a login that I thought i remembered but wouldn't let me
    > in.

    Ok I am using slackware 10.1
    the first thing you have to do is log on with root with out a password
    after the cd boots

    then you will have to fdisk /dev/hd(what ever disk) (my fav) or use csfdisk

    after you have saved the partition table then you can proceed to set up

    there you will add some swap and format some of the partitions

    now you can install the system this is the time I like to so some
    sacrifice some prefer lamb I Like beef I stoke up the Barbie and proceed
    to burn some food while it installs (lots of beer works a treet too) in
    fact If i drink enough It always seems like a sucess.

    now the last thing is to put a root password and add some users after
    the first re boot

    oh yes lilo has to be installed before reboot

    and final word installing Slackware back ups should be done first.

    now the install of Slackware can never realy does not stop there. there
    is lots of setups and configurations to do and much more software install.

    > 3/more pi33ed off installed lycoris wrote down the passwords this time
    > same bleeping thing happens, it loads up and gets to the login screen
    > and wont let me log in.

    caps lock usaly its user and password

    > So the ?'s are what am i doing wrong?
    > I have put mandrake on a while ago but did'nt like it much (to slow)
    > had a couple of live cd knoppix for example which i liked.
    >
    > So i want to know how to put ubuntu on to a cd to install
    > and how to get around the login on lycoris i have tryed to login to
    > root but it wont let me do that it just stays at the login screen.
    >
    > any help?
    >
    > thanks

    ps food and drink helps with any install I find just in moderation.

    Robert Cooze, Oct 3, 2005
  9. Gordon

    MarkH Guest

    My impression of Kubuntu vs Knoppix

    Chris Hope <> wrote in news:dhqge3$od7$1
    @lust.ihug.co.nz:

    > MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> I have installed Kubuntu 5.04 on the weekend, but don't like it
    >> (basically
    >> I think that it is pretty crap). I also like Knoppix and have
    >> installed Knoppix 3.9 onto a HDD - it is much better than Kubuntu
    >> (both are based on Debian and use the KDE GUI).

    > Out of interest, why do you not like it? And Kubuntu too for that
    > matter?

    Kubuntu 5.04 needs work, if its flaws and failings have been fixed in
    5.1 then I may download that and give it a try.

    KUBUNTU:
    I installed Kubuntu and got it working well enough, the hardware is
    working fine with it.

    I tried K3b, but a message said that it could not find cdr-dao and this
    was what K3b used to write CDs. I tried to use Kynaptic to install cdr-
    dao, but there it was not on the list of apps that can be installed (I
    also tried apt-get from the shell).

    I tried playing MP3s, MPGs, AVIs and M2Vs, striking out with 0 for 4. I
    tried to install other packages like xmms, but still couldn't play MP3s.

    Mozilla Firefox was included in the standard install, but with no icon
    on the desktop and not listed at all in the menus (I don't find
    Konquerer nearly as good).

    I also noticed that there was no shortcut to any shell on the desktop or
    menus.

    Kynaptic is pretty useless compared to KPackage.

    Knoppix:
    Knoppix-installer from the 4.01 DVD didn't work right and I couldn't
    boot from the HDD all the way. But Knoppix-installer worked fine from
    3.9 and everything ran fine. K3b ran fine. MP3s, MPGs, AVIs and M2Vs
    all played fine right from the start. Shortcuts to a shell and a shell
    as root were easy to find as well as shortcuts to Firefox.

    KPackage seems to be FAR superior to Kynaptic as far as apt-get gui
    front ends go.

    I think that the common tasks that people use a computer for should just
    work right from the start. I don't know what the hell is up with
    including K3b but not cdr-dao, so that K3b won't work.

    Of course there are fixes for the stuff I didn't like and I can Google
    for answers. Apparently the cure for the crappy Kynaptic is to install
    the Gnome version - Synaptic, which is much better. There will be a way
    to change apt-get libraries to find cdr-dao and installing it would then
    be easy enough. There will be replacement A/V decoders available which
    will facilitate the playing of all the audio and video formats you want.
    But honestly, I am not seeing any good reasons to choose Kubuntu over a
    HDD install of Knoppix and right from the start Knoppix just works as
    you expect.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 3, 2005
  10. Gordon

    shannon Guest

    Re: My impression of Kubuntu vs Knoppix

    MarkH wrote:
    > Chris Hope <> wrote in news:dhqge3$od7$1
    > @lust.ihug.co.nz:
    >

    >>MarkH wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have installed Kubuntu 5.04 on the weekend, but don't like it
    >>>(basically
    >>>I think that it is pretty crap). I also like Knoppix and have
    >>>installed Knoppix 3.9 onto a HDD - it is much better than Kubuntu
    >>>(both are based on Debian and use the KDE GUI).

    >>Out of interest, why do you not like it? And Kubuntu too for that
    >>matter?

    > Kubuntu 5.04 needs work, if its flaws and failings have been fixed in
    > 5.1 then I may download that and give it a try.
    >

    > KUBUNTU:
    > I installed Kubuntu and got it working well enough, the hardware is
    > working fine with it.
    >
    > I tried K3b, but a message said that it could not find cdr-dao and this
    > was what K3b used to write CDs. I tried to use Kynaptic to install cdr-
    > dao, but there it was not on the list of apps that can be installed (I
    > also tried apt-get from the shell).
    >
    > I tried playing MP3s, MPGs, AVIs and M2Vs, striking out with 0 for 4. I
    > tried to install other packages like xmms, but still couldn't play MP3s.
    >
    > Mozilla Firefox was included in the standard install, but with no icon
    > on the desktop and not listed at all in the menus (I don't find
    > Konquerer nearly as good).
    >
    > I also noticed that there was no shortcut to any shell on the desktop or
    > menus.
    >
    > Kynaptic is pretty useless compared to KPackage.
    >

    > Knoppix:
    > Knoppix-installer from the 4.01 DVD didn't work right and I couldn't
    > boot from the HDD all the way. But Knoppix-installer worked fine from
    > 3.9 and everything ran fine. K3b ran fine. MP3s, MPGs, AVIs and M2Vs
    > all played fine right from the start. Shortcuts to a shell and a shell
    > as root were easy to find as well as shortcuts to Firefox.
    >
    > KPackage seems to be FAR superior to Kynaptic as far as apt-get gui
    > front ends go.
    >

    > I think that the common tasks that people use a computer for should just
    > work right from the start. I don't know what the hell is up with
    > including K3b but not cdr-dao, so that K3b won't work.
    >
    > Of course there are fixes for the stuff I didn't like and I can Google
    > for answers. Apparently the cure for the crappy Kynaptic is to install
    > the Gnome version - Synaptic, which is much better. There will be a way
    > to change apt-get libraries to find cdr-dao and installing it would then
    > be easy enough. There will be replacement A/V decoders available which
    > will facilitate the playing of all the audio and video formats you want.
    > But honestly, I am not seeing any good reasons to choose Kubuntu over a
    > HDD install of Knoppix and right from the start Knoppix just works as
    > you expect.

    I guess it depends whether you want to download another iso and install
    again each time another knoppix version comes out. Knoppix has a lot of
    sources in /etc/apt/sources.list and they don't always stay that
    synchronous.
    Ubuntu is a distro with its own repositaries.
    cdrdao is disk at once, its only a suggested dependency for k3b. its in
    the universe repositary
    kpackage is in there too.
    Kubuntu 5.04 is the first version of this KDE in Ubuntu so I'd expect
    some rough edges.
    But if you have 5.04 you just add the repositary line and upgrade to 5.10.
    I learned a lot about configuring Debian from knoppix, you can probably
    take a few of the sources.list lines from knoppix and use them in Ubuntu
    to get the AV codecs from Christian Marillats archive.

    shannon, Oct 3, 2005
  11. Gordon

    Adam Guest

    On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:01:43 GMT, MarkH wrote:

    >I think that the common tasks that people use a computer for should just
    >work right from the start.

    Hear hear to that. In at least half the recent distros I tried I just
    couldn't find an *easy* way of creating an application icon or an item
    in a menu bar for something I'd just managed to install.

    In some cases, I had to dig around for obscure ini files in [even
    more] obscure directories.

    Adam.

    Adam, Oct 3, 2005
  12. Gordon

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:01:43 GMT, MarkH wrote:
    >

    >>I think that the common tasks that people use a computer for should just
    >>work right from the start.

    > Hear hear to that. In at least half the recent distros I tried I just
    > couldn't find an *easy* way of creating an application icon or an item
    > in a menu bar for something I'd just managed to install.
    >
    > In some cases, I had to dig around for obscure ini files in [even
    > more] obscure directories.
    >
    > Adam.

    Now going back to my Amiga Days and early windows days alot of the share
    ware free ware alpha & beta stuff the install was dodgy ysaly un zip
    some stuff here and there and creat some sort of shortcut to a menu so
    you could launch it. Now back in 2005 Using win XP and SlacWare some of
    my fav software when I install it I install no shortcuts to any where
    and make them my self! I am using Fluxbox as my main window manager on
    Slackware the simple menu system can be edited at any time with any
    editor I have on this system. As most stuff I install is installed from
    sorce I usaly know where the binary or script I need to launch is
    located. But I think I am from the old school. A while ago on an early
    version Of KDE I had know idear on how to even edit the menu on KDE at
    all.

    Robert Cooze, Oct 3, 2005
  13. Gordon

    MarkH Guest

    shannon <> wrote in news::

    > I guess it depends whether you want to download another iso and
    > install again each time another knoppix version comes out. Knoppix has
    > a lot of sources in /etc/apt/sources.list and they don't always stay
    > that synchronous.
    > Ubuntu is a distro with its own repositaries.
    > cdrdao is disk at once, its only a suggested dependency for k3b. its
    > in the universe repositary

    Where do I find this repositary?

    > kpackage is in there too.
    > Kubuntu 5.04 is the first version of this KDE in Ubuntu so I'd expect
    > some rough edges.
    > But if you have 5.04 you just add the repositary line and upgrade to
    > 5.10. I learned a lot about configuring Debian from knoppix, you can
    > probably take a few of the sources.list lines from knoppix and use
    > them in Ubuntu to get the AV codecs from Christian Marillats archive.

    I have installed Synaptic and it has several better features not found in
    Kynaptic, hopefully they will improve Kynaptic for 5.10. For example
    Synaptic makes it easy to see which repositaries are being used and to add
    new ones, Kynaptic has nothing like that. Kynaptic also lacks descriptions
    of the packages unless you hover the pointer over them.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 3, 2005
  14. Gordon

    Chris Hope Guest

    Adam wrote:

    > On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:01:43 GMT, MarkH wrote:
    >
    >>I think that the common tasks that people use a computer for should
    >>just work right from the start.

    > Hear hear to that. In at least half the recent distros I tried I just
    > couldn't find an *easy* way of creating an application icon or an item
    > in a menu bar for something I'd just managed to install.
    >
    > In some cases, I had to dig around for obscure ini files in [even
    > more] obscure directories.

    I think they added a GUI menu editor to the most recent version of Gnome
    (which I'm assuming is what will be in Ubuntu 5.10). KDE already has an
    easy to use menu editor.

    Chris Hope, Oct 3, 2005
  15. Gordon

    MarkH wrote:
    > shannon <> wrote in news::
    >

    >>I guess it depends whether you want to download another iso and
    >>install again each time another knoppix version comes out. Knoppix has
    >>a lot of sources in /etc/apt/sources.list and they don't always stay
    >>that synchronous.
    >>Ubuntu is a distro with its own repositaries.
    >>cdrdao is disk at once, its only a suggested dependency for k3b. its
    >>in the universe repositary

    > Where do I find this repositary?
    >

    >>kpackage is in there too.
    >>Kubuntu 5.04 is the first version of this KDE in Ubuntu so I'd expect
    >>some rough edges.
    >>But if you have 5.04 you just add the repositary line and upgrade to
    >>5.10. I learned a lot about configuring Debian from knoppix, you can
    >>probably take a few of the sources.list lines from knoppix and use
    >>them in Ubuntu to get the AV codecs from Christian Marillats archive.

    > I have installed Synaptic and it has several better features not found in
    > Kynaptic, hopefully they will improve Kynaptic for 5.10. For example
    > Synaptic makes it easy to see which repositaries are being used and to add
    > new ones, Kynaptic has nothing like that. Kynaptic also lacks descriptions
    > of the packages unless you hover the pointer over them.

    Yeah I've never seen kynaptic before, I used to use aptitude from the
    terminal or console, but I really like synaptic.
    I guess they built it for kubuntu so kubuntu wouldn't need gnome gtk
    etc, its a derivative distribution with a goal to use only kde from the
    ubuntu archive.

    Adding repositaries is covered here
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AddingRepositoriesHowto

    one new one that isn't yet listed in the wiki is the official backports

    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary-backports main universe
    multiverse restricted

    which probably has some codecs

    Ubuntu has a lot of useful online support
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDocumentation
    http://ubuntuguide.org/

    shannon, Oct 3, 2005
  16. Gordon

    terry Guest

    me.at@yahoo..co..nz wrote:
    > Hi all
    > Decided to have a go with linux on a spare machine with looking to the
    > future of getting all (5) machines on to the same OS.

    > 3/more pi33ed off installed lycoris wrote down the passwords this time
    > same bleeping thing happens, it loads up and gets to the login screen
    > and wont let me log in.
    >

    > thanks

    diffent name same me
    me feeling clever at the moment am writing this in lycoris 2 more
    installs plus 3 restarts but all is working (big grin)
    thanks for the help all

    terry, Oct 4, 2005
  17. Gordon

    Adam Guest

    On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 08:32:34 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:

    >Adam wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:01:43 GMT, MarkH wrote:
    >>
    >>>I think that the common tasks that people use a computer for should
    >>>just work right from the start.

    >> Hear hear to that. In at least half the recent distros I tried I just
    >> couldn't find an *easy* way of creating an application icon or an item
    >> in a menu bar for something I'd just managed to install.
    >>
    >> In some cases, I had to dig around for obscure ini files in [even
    >> more] obscure directories.

    >I think they added a GUI menu editor to the most recent version of Gnome
    >(which I'm assuming is what will be in Ubuntu 5.10). KDE already has an
    >easy to use menu editor.

    Nothing quite as easy as dragging and dropping an icon though <??>.

    Adam .

    Adam, Oct 4, 2005
  18. Gordon

    MarkH Guest

    Re: My impression of Kubuntu vs Knoppix - and now Mepis

    MarkH <> wrote in

    I have now wiped the drive with Kubuntu and have installed Simply Mepis
    3.3.1.1 instead.

    My first impression is very positive.

    Mepis is another Debian based distro with the KDE GUI.

    Video and MP3 work from the start, this is very good (many Linux distros do
    not provide working multimedia in the install).

    K3b works.

    Both Konquerer and Firefox are installed as standard.

    Both Synaptic and KPackage are installed as standard.

    The Gimp 2.2 comes standard.

    I will have to google for a list of good repositories for updating and
    adding packages, but everything looks good at the moment.

    So my opinion is that Knoppix 3.9 and Mepis 3.3.1.1 are good, Kubuntu 5.04
    sucks but I have yet to try Kubuntu 5.10.

    For an RPM based distro I quite like SUSE 9.3 as it installs easily and
    detects hardware well, unfortunately I would have to knock some marks off
    for the Multimedia not working initially (you need to uninstall xine and
    xmms and mplayer, add the packman source and then add the removed stuff
    back in).

    My reason for posting this info is that I am very new to Linux and I
    believe that there are many others reading this group that are in the same
    position. Hopefully some of you may find my observations helpful.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 4, 2005
  19. Gordon

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 18:40:56 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >MarkH <> wrote in
    >

    >I have now wiped the drive with Kubuntu and have installed Simply Mepis
    >3.3.1.1 instead.
    >
    >My first impression is very positive.
    >
    >Mepis is another Debian based distro with the KDE GUI.
    >
    >Video and MP3 work from the start, this is very good (many Linux distros do
    >not provide working multimedia in the install).
    >
    >K3b works.
    >
    >Both Konquerer and Firefox are installed as standard.
    >
    >Both Synaptic and KPackage are installed as standard.
    >
    >The Gimp 2.2 comes standard.
    >
    >I will have to google for a list of good repositories for updating and
    >adding packages, but everything looks good at the moment.
    >
    >So my opinion is that Knoppix 3.9 and Mepis 3.3.1.1 are good, Kubuntu 5.04
    >sucks but I have yet to try Kubuntu 5.10.
    >
    >For an RPM based distro I quite like SUSE 9.3 as it installs easily and
    >detects hardware well, unfortunately I would have to knock some marks off
    >for the Multimedia not working initially (you need to uninstall xine and
    >xmms and mplayer, add the packman source and then add the removed stuff
    >back in).
    >

    >My reason for posting this info is that I am very new to Linux and I
    >believe that there are many others reading this group that are in the same
    >position. Hopefully some of you may find my observations helpful.

    Good to hear your impressions. I tried the Simply Mepis live CD and
    found that when playing MP3s, etc, the sound was very noisy and
    distorted. IIRMC you could select 2.4 or 2.6 kernel on bootup but
    neither made any difference. Perhaps it just didn't like my
    soundcard, SoundBlaster Ensonique, though no other distro has had
    problems with it.

    GraB, Oct 5, 2005
  20. Gordon

    Adam Guest

    Re: My impression of Kubuntu vs Knoppix - and now Mepis

    On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 18:40:56 GMT, MarkH wrote:

    >MarkH <> wrote in
    >

    >I have now wiped the drive with Kubuntu and have installed Simply Mepis
    >3.3.1.1 instead.
    >
    >My first impression is very positive.

    ... snip ...

    >My reason for posting this info is that I am very new to Linux and I
    >believe that there are many others reading this group that are in the same
    >position. Hopefully some of you may find my observations helpful.

    Yep - thanks. Always glad to have other people go through the hoops
    for me :))

    I only put KDE on over the top of Gnome on my Ubuntu 5.04. I wasn't
    that impressed, for some reason - I preferred Gnome. I feel KDE
    suffers a bit from the "Windows" syndrome - too many different ways of
    doing the same basic things, where just one (intuitive) way would do.

    Interested to hear how you get on with Mepis - I may give it a whirl.

    Adam.

    Adam, Oct 5, 2005