    required standards. Does anyone out there know of an ISP that I can
    use to get these wonderful beasts online?

    Thanks in advance

    Kiwiboy, Apr 14, 2007

  2. Kiwiboy

    Shane Guest

    Kiwiboy wrote:

    > Hi there
    > I am wanting to connect to the internet with my two classic computers
    > - a Macintosh color classic running 7.6.1 and a Mac SE/30 running 6.1
    > I have gone to the Xtra site and see that they do not meet the
    > required standards. Does anyone out there know of an ISP that I can
    > use to get these wonderful beasts online?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    er.. out of curiousity, why isnt Xtra (or any ISP for that matter) able or
    unable to meet your needs?

    Shane, Apr 14, 2007

  3. Kiwiboy

    XPD Guest

    "Kiwiboy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there
    > I am wanting to connect to the internet with my two classic computers
    > - a Macintosh color classic running 7.6.1 and a Mac SE/30 running 6.1
    > I have gone to the Xtra site and see that they do not meet the
    > required standards. Does anyone out there know of an ISP that I can
    > use to get these wonderful beasts online?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Any ISP will let you connect, however you have to set up the connection and
    support yourself.
    There are no "minimum requirements" to get a computer online except for
    TCP/IP, and a modem :) (at its most basic)

    As how to do that, I havent had to setup a Mac like that for years so
    honestly cant remember...... if it was in front of me I'd probably remember
    :)
    Do a search on google for internet setup on os 7.6.1.....

    XPD, Apr 14, 2007
  4. Kiwiboy

    Kiwiboy Guest

    On Apr 15, 9:42 am, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    > Kiwiboy wrote:
    > > Hi there
    > > I am wanting to connect to the internet with my two classic computers
    > > - a Macintosh color classic running 7.6.1 and a Mac SE/30 running 6.1
    > > I have gone to the Xtra site and see that they do not meet the
    > > required standards. Does anyone out there know of an ISP that I can
    > > use to get these wonderful beasts online?

    > > Thanks in advance

    > er.. out of curiousity, why isnt Xtra (or any ISP for that matter) able or
    > unable to meet your needs?

    On Xtra's help page it states the mim requirements for a Mac is OS 8.6
    and a PowerMac.
    Also I remember trying to connect a hand-held PC through slingshot a
    while back, and having trouble trying to locate domain names and
    numbers etc

    Kiwiboy, Apr 14, 2007
  5. Kiwiboy

    David Empson Guest

    Kiwiboy <> wrote:

    > I am wanting to connect to the internet with my two classic computers
    > - a Macintosh color classic running 7.6.1 and a Mac SE/30 running 6.1
    > I have gone to the Xtra site and see that they do not meet the
    > required standards.

    [If you are going to post the same question to two newsgroups, please do
    it using a cross-post rather than two independent posts. I almost
    replied to your article in nz.tech, then I saw there was already an
    active thread in nz.comp.]

    There is no such think as "Mac OS 6.1" - it stopped at 6.0.8 (and you
    can't mean 6.0.1, because that won't run on an SE/30). Did you perhaps
    mean 7.1?

    For interested onlookers: the SE/30 was released in 1989, and the Color
    Classic was 1993. Mac OS 7.1 dates back to 1991, and 7.6.1 is 1997.

    A Color Classic with 7.6.1 is certainly able to access the Internet but
    it will be seriously limited.

    Mac OS 7.6.1 has PPP support as a standard feature and can run e-mail
    client software. It may be supplied with Claris Emailer, or you can run
    an old version of Eudora (among others).

    Web browsers will a major problem, because firstly the only ones that
    run on 7.6.1 are very old (probably Netscape 2 or 3, maybe an early
    version of Internet Explorer, either or both are supplied with 7.6.1),
    and secondly because the maximum amount of memory in the computer is 10
    MB and my past experience was that you tend to need more like 20 MB
    minimum to run a web browser reliably. If you only have the base 4 MB
    RAM, there is no hope of doing more than e-mail.

    With the SE/30, you would have similar issues but are limited further by
    running older system software. You would be much better off upgrading
    that SE/30 to Mac OS 7.5.5 (the last version it supports), which is
    available as a free download from Apple but might be tricky to get to
    the SE/30.

    I'm not sure what Internet software runs on 7.1 (I wasn't using Macs
    regularly until 7.5.3) but I expect you can run early versions of at
    least one third-party PPP client and e-mail software. You might need to
    install TCP/IP support (MacTCP or an early version of Open Transport),
    which came standard with 7.5 and later. You might not be able to run any
    reasonable web browser. With 7.5.5 you will have slightly fewer options
    than 7.6.1, but certainly more than 7.1.

    Memory requirements will be similar to the Color Classic, but the SE/30
    is able to have more RAM installed (maximum is 128 MB, using eight 16 MB
    30-pin SIMMs, and it isn't hard to get 32 MB in there using 4 MB SIMMs)
    so it might be more successful at doing web browsing as long as you have
    a reasonable amount of RAM.

    The black and white screen of the SE/30 will be a major limitation for
    web browsing. You can get a colour display with a video card in the
    expansion slot, but is it worth it?

    For dial-up with either computer you will need PPP client software and
    an external modem (which is Mac-compatible and supported by the PPP
    client).

    Broadband is possible in theory with both computers, by adding an
    Ethernet card. The SE/30's slot is unique to that model and the IIsi,
    so expansion cards are very rare. The Color Classic has the same
    expansion slot as the Mac LC, so you might have more luck there.

    The SE/30 Ethernet cards typically have an AUI (DA-15) and Thin Ethernet
    (BNC coax) connectors, so you would need either an AUI-to-10Base-T
    adapter or an old 10Base-T hub with a coax connector.

    I haven't seen LC Ethernet cards, but they are likely to include more
    modern connectors such as built-in 10Base-T or Apple's proprietary AAUI
    connector, for which you would need a rare AAUI-to-10Base-T adapter.

    > Does anyone out there know of an ISP that I can
    > use to get these wonderful beasts online?

    They should work with any ISP, but don't expect technical support from
    the ISP's help desk.

    Expect a higher degree of manual configuration: you'll need to enter the
    DNS server addresses manually, but DHCP or PPP supplying an IP address
    should work.

    You could run into issues with old e-mail clients not supporting modern
    standards such as authenticated SMTP, or SSL encoding.

    For web browsing, expect a seriously poor level of compatibility with
    many web sites. Little if any Java, poor Javascript and no content over
    text and basic images. The screen size (512x342 or 348) will also be a
    huge problem - expect sideways scrolling on almost all web sites.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Apr 14, 2007
  6. Kiwiboy

    XPD Guest

    "Kiwiboy" <> wrote in message
    >> er.. out of curiousity, why isnt Xtra (or any ISP for that matter) able
    >> or
    >> unable to meet your needs?

    > On Xtra's help page it states the mim requirements for a Mac is OS 8.6
    > and a PowerMac.
    > Also I remember trying to connect a hand-held PC through slingshot a
    > while back, and having trouble trying to locate domain names and
    > numbers etc

    That will be just for their setup software to run and/or the minimum OS they
    will support over the phone.

    XPD, Apr 15, 2007
  7. Kiwiboy

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-04-14, Kiwiboy <> wrote:
    > Hi there
    > I am wanting to connect to the internet with my two classic computers
    > - a Macintosh color classic running 7.6.1 and a Mac SE/30 running 6.1
    > I have gone to the Xtra site and see that they do not meet the
    > required standards. Does anyone out there know of an ISP that I can
    > use to get these wonderful beasts online?

    any ISP, just don't expect their help.

    what sort of internet connection are you using/planning?

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Apr 15, 2007
  8. Kiwiboy

    thingy Guest

    Kiwiboy wrote:
    > On Apr 15, 9:42 am, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >> Kiwiboy wrote:
    >>> Hi there
    >>> I am wanting to connect to the internet with my two classic computers
    >>> - a Macintosh color classic running 7.6.1 and a Mac SE/30 running 6.1
    >>> I have gone to the Xtra site and see that they do not meet the
    >>> required standards. Does anyone out there know of an ISP that I can
    >>> use to get these wonderful beasts online?
    >>> Thanks in advance

    >> er.. out of curiousity, why isnt Xtra (or any ISP for that matter) able or
    >> unable to meet your needs?

    > On Xtra's help page it states the mim requirements for a Mac is OS 8.6
    > and a PowerMac.
    > Also I remember trying to connect a hand-held PC through slingshot a
    > while back, and having trouble trying to locate domain names and
    > numbers etc

    Ive used some small ISPs and they are usually even more helpful than the
    big ones....YMMV though....

    I have used Clear and Paradise with Macs....the issue is not what the OS
    is in terms of dailin, it is a pretty standard protocol....the issue is
    xtra's software wont run.....and who to be honest who cares....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 15, 2007
  9. Kiwiboy

    XPD Guest

    "Kiwiboy" <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 15, 9:42 am, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >> Kiwiboy wrote:
    >> > Hi there
    >> > I am wanting to connect to the internet with my two classic computers
    >> > - a Macintosh color classic running 7.6.1 and a Mac SE/30 running 6.1

    BTW...

    http://www.netfaqs.com/macintosh/macjump.asp?bisp=&theurl=

    Might be of some help :)

    XPD, Apr 16, 2007