need interface to show pictures in notebook on TV

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Fred, Nov 4, 2004.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Hi,

    When I have several people who want to see my digital pictures on my
    notebook, it gets a little crowded.

    I have a unit which I have to download pics to the unit in a different
    format and has a file size limit. (modified ZIP drive)

    I want something which I can plug into the USB port (or ext monitor jack) on
    the notebook and the TV audio / video jacks to show what appears on the note
    book screen.

    Any ideas / recommendations?

    Thanks,

    Fred
    (to send email, get the lead out)

    Fred, Nov 4, 2004

  2. "Fred" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi,
    >
    > When I have several people who want to see my digital pictures on my
    > notebook, it gets a little crowded.
    >
    > I have a unit which I have to download pics to the unit in a different
    > format and has a file size limit. (modified ZIP drive)
    >
    > I want something which I can plug into the USB port (or ext monitor

    jack) on
    > the notebook and the TV audio / video jacks to show what appears on the

    note
    > book screen.
    >
    > Any ideas / recommendations?

    Hmmm... If your notebook has a composite video output you can get an
    adapter cable with composite in and SCART out. I've done that myself (not
    on a notebook though).

    If you don't have this output, you might be able to get an adapter (cable)
    but I'm not sure here.

    Alternatively you could go for something like this (sorry for the German
    page):
    http://www3.alternate.de/html/shop/productDetails.html?artno=MR#D06

    Kind regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Nov 5, 2004

  3. Fred

    BillyB Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message

    > I want something which I can plug into the USB port (or ext monitor jack)
    > on the notebook and the TV audio / video jacks to show what appears on the
    > note book screen.

    I think Pinnicle do some USB gadgets. http://www.pinnaclesys.com/
    The name Dazzle comes to mind but could not find a site after a very quick
    search.

    Laptops often have stuff built in. I think it will be a (yellow ?) phono
    socket, like the red/white or red/black sockets on the back of a stereo.
    Laptops often toggle displays using one of their funcion buttons. (like a
    the shift or control buttons). If it looks like you have these toys then
    best to set up the system as you often end up stuck with no picture. Another
    useful tip is often there is a test mode. When the screen goes blank you
    often forget this. If you get stuck with a blank screen then wait at least
    15 seconds, do not press/click randomly and count slowly.

    If you need a scart connection, as used by most modern european TVs. I
    noticed a lead in Asda (UK) for a few quid. You will need the one that
    includes the (yellow?) video. (some are just sound, Red and Black.). If your
    laptop only has a single phono for the video, ignore the sound phonos on the
    lead, you do not need these. Often external USB devices will have the sound
    too. May as well plug them in. (Match the colours!) Sometimes the black and
    white connections are interchangeable. (Not sure if there is a tecnical
    difference).
    If you want the sound then you probably need a phono to mini Jack lead and a
    pair of phono sex changers. There are available singley or in pairs.

    Off the wall suggestion.
    Also in Asda (UK) was a small DVD player for about £30. It was not
    "portable" as it needed mains but it was small enough to carry around. This
    bosted "PictureCD" compatabiliy. To be honest, for the price, you could by
    this and burn a CD with images on. If you laptop burns CDs then great, you
    can make them there and then too. There are advantages and disadvantages to
    this. The DVD player is a bit more acceptable to set up in peoples houses.
    It is always a bit of a pain and a bit nurdy to set up a lap top and fiddle
    with it. You end up with two screens. You have to set it up near the telly
    and then sit near it to operate it. The DVD player has a remote control
    which is more relaxing and easy to use. Non techies can play with it without
    busting it. Disadvantages include having to burn a CD. This is not always
    convenient. Also the handling of portrait images is a bit dificult. Before
    making the CD you have to set them up to the correct oriantation.

    I did a slight variation on this. I brought my parents a DVD player that did
    JPEG a Philips 625 I think. Yes this was from asda too! I poped in a DVD
    with JPEGs on. This appeared to work too. I can now go round and send them
    to sleep with my pic collection any time I like!

    Please visit my website at http://ww.places2visit.co.uk/ I have pics on
    there that include point and shoot from a FinePix A120. I also use an S5000
    which is more an "SLR" type digital camera. (not true SLR)

    Pictures on this page were from a FinePix A120
    http://www.places2visit.co.uk/WTT/a/232d233c54.html

    I have lots of A120 pics that are real goodens. I will have to make up a
    collection. The Sycro Flash make a great action picy. Also it is fixed
    focus, OK Its a digital pin hole camera ;-) , so the large depth of feild
    and wide angle produces quite different looking pics to those that normally
    come off the S5000. Also I take the A120 where I would not bother to lug the
    S5000.

    Ta BB

    BillyB, Nov 8, 2004