    when ms release visual studio "Orcas" will I lose MCAD for VS.NET 2003?
    thx

    Dzemal Tipura (Dzemo) - MCP
    dzemo, Aug 20, 2004

  2. Cindy Winegarden, Aug 21, 2004

  3. dzemo

    Eric Guest

    dzemo wrote:

    > when ms release visual studio "Orcas" will I lose MCAD for VS.NET
    > 2003? thx

    Isn't Orca the tool that lets you edit .msi files?

    I think you mean Whidbey, also known as VS 2005.

    Eric
    Eric, Aug 23, 2004
  4. Hi Eric,

    See http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/roadmap.aspx .

    "Visual Studio "Orcas"
    The release of Visual Studio 2005 and the .NET Framework 2.0 will represent
    a significant milestone in the Microsoft developer tools roadmap. Following
    the SQL Server 2005 and Visual Studio 2005 wave of products, the next major
    platform update will be the Windows operating system release code name
    "Longhorn". The release of Visual Studio 2005 and the .NET Framework 2.0
    will run on this landmark operating system release, as will applications
    built with Visual Studio 2005.

    In addition, Microsoft is planning a version of Visual Studio, code name
    "Orcas," designed to take advantage of the features introduced in Windows
    Longhorn. These features include support for Longhorn advanced user
    interface capabilities (code name "Avalon"), storage services (code name
    "WinFS"), and Web services capabilities (code name "Indigo"). For example,
    Longhorn will introduce a declarative programming model (code name "XAML"),
    that will complement existing programming languages and Windows Forms by
    improving productivity when developing Longhorn-specific client UI. ......"

    www.cindywinegarden.com

    Cindy Winegarden, Aug 24, 2004
  5. dzemo

    Eric Guest

    Cindy Winegarden wrote:

    > In addition, Microsoft is planning a version of Visual Studio, code
    > name "Orcas," designed to take advantage of the features introduced
    > in Windows Longhorn.

    This sounds cool! I didn't hear of this codename yet.

    I'm guessing the MCAD/MCSD certification program will change for the VS
    2005 release. I've been reading about it lately, and there's a whole
    lot of changes.

    ASP.NET 2.0 seems to have the most changes, followed by Web Services.
    In ASP.NET, even the code-behind model has changed: we now have inline
    code and code beside (using partial classes). We also have dynamic
    compilation throughout, and a lot of new data-related changes.

    But it may be another 6 - 12 months before we hear the details of any
    changes to the certification programs. And even then, they'll normally
    give people 6 months to finsih their certification under the existing
    program.

    Eric
    Eric, Aug 25, 2004