    Are the off brands such eg Tamron as good as the Nikon teleconverters?
    Thanks
    Bob

    rs11, Aug 29, 2003

  2. rs11

    Alan F Cross Guest

    In message <290820031617101349%>, Randall
    Ainsworth <> writes
    >> I have the Nikon D100 along with a few Nikon lenses( which I love by the =
    >> way). I am thinking of getting a teleconverter to use with my Nikon AF =
    >> zoom ED 70-300mm lense to use for Long distance shots of birds etc.
    >> My question is, how good are teleconverters as far as sharpness goes?
    >> Any suggestions as to which to get the 1.4x or the 2x?
    >> Are the off brands such eg Tamron as good as the Nikon teleconverters?

    >Buy the cheapest one you can find. They work great.

    Is that really the best advice? The OP is questioning quality. There's
    no point in having a high quality lens and crippling it with 'the
    cheapest you can get' in TCs.

    Some camera manufacturers, IIRC, have different TCs according to which
    range of focal lengths they are to work with (this was true of Canon
    FDs). So their engineering is not trivial.

    Choose the best, and buy from the manufacturer of your lenses.
    --
    Alan F Cross

    Alan F Cross, Aug 30, 2003

  3. rs11

    Randall Ainsworth <> wrote:

    >> I have the Nikon D100 along with a few Nikon lenses( which I love by the =
    >> way). I am thinking of getting a teleconverter to use with my Nikon AF =
    >> zoom ED 70-300mm lense to use for Long distance shots of birds etc.
    >> My question is, how good are teleconverters as far as sharpness goes?
    >> Any suggestions as to which to get the 1.4x or the 2x?
    >> Are the off brands such eg Tamron as good as the Nikon teleconverters?

    >Buy the cheapest one you can find. They work great.

    Randall is being sarcastic; he really thinks all teleconverters are
    crap. He isn't totally correct, though. High quality in-line
    teleconverters (between the camera and lens) can extract more detail
    from a lens than a sensor can capture without one, if the lens by itself
    has more resolution than the sensor can handle.

    You don't get something for nothing, though. It gets very dark inside
    the lens with a converter, so it is harder to see, especially if the
    main lens is slow to begin with, and the exposures must be greater (2
    stops for a 2x, and 1 stop for a 1.4x). Autofocus may fail.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>

    , Aug 30, 2003