    is a supervisor engine module absolutely necessary for the operation
    of cisco 5500?
    also can somebody explain the important features of cisco 5500.

    cheeku, May 15, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    cheeku <> wrote:
    >is a supervisor engine module absolutely necessary for the operation
    >of cisco 5500?

    No. However, if I recall correctly, without it, the 5500 acts
    like a bunch of unconnected dumb switches (each card being a different
    switch.) You wouldn't be able to use any of the layer 3 features
    without the supervisor engine.

    >also can somebody explain the important features of cisco 5500.

    Ummm, that sounds suspiciously like a class assignment.

    The 5500 has been End of Sale for several years, so if you are
    considering getting one now, my answer would be "Absolutely not without
    a supervisor engine and software being provided with it, and even then
    only at give-away prices."

    Walter Roberson, May 15, 2007

  3. cheeku

    cheeku Guest

    On May 15, 3:49 pm, (Walter Roberson) wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > cheeku <> wrote:
    > >is a supervisor engine module absolutely necessary for the operation
    > >of cisco 5500?

    > No. However, if I recall correctly, without it, the 5500 acts
    > like a bunch of unconnected dumb switches (each card being a different
    > switch.) You wouldn't be able to use any of the layer 3 features
    > without the supervisor engine.
    >
    > >also can somebody explain the important features of cisco 5500.

    > Ummm, that sounds suspiciously like a class assignment.

    no.......not at all.....
    > The 5500 has been End of Sale for several years, so if you are
    > considering getting one now, my answer would be "Absolutely not without
    > a supervisor engine and software being provided with it, and even then
    > only at give-away prices."

    i have a cisco 5500 and cisco 6500....so .... can somebody
    explain how is one better than the other.

    cheeku, May 15, 2007
  4. cheeku <> writes:
    >> The 5500 has been End of Sale for several years, so if you are
    >> considering getting one now, my answer would be "Absolutely not without
    >> a supervisor engine and software being provided with it, and even then
    >> only at give-away prices."

    >i have a cisco 5500 and cisco 6500....so .... can somebody
    >explain how is one better than the other.

    Hmm, one model has been discontinued years ago, its reached
    end-of-maintenance and no software upgrades are available, and its
    backplane supports 3.6Gbps (not counting local switching available on
    each line card), or up to 50Gbps with all the right forwarding cards.

    The other is the current top-of-the-line, and still very current.
    It can deliver 720GBs on the backplane with the right sup and line
    cards, and supports hundreds more current modules.

    Hmm.. I suppose its all relative to what you want to do with it.

    Doug McIntyre, May 15, 2007
  5. cheeku

    cheeku Guest

    On May 16, 12:25 am, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > cheeku <> writes:
    > >> The 5500 has been End of Sale for several years, so if you are
    > >> considering getting one now, my answer would be "Absolutely not without
    > >> a supervisor engine and software being provided with it, and even then
    > >> only at give-away prices."

    > >i have a cisco 5500 and cisco 6500....so .... can somebody
    > >explain how is one better than the other.

    > Hmm, one model has been discontinued years ago, its reached
    > end-of-maintenance and no software upgrades are available, and its
    > backplane supports 3.6Gbps (not counting local switching available on
    > each line card), or up to 50Gbps with all the right forwarding cards.
    >
    > The other is the current top-of-the-line, and still very current.
    > It can deliver 720GBs on the backplane with the right sup and line
    > cards, and supports hundreds more current modules.
    >
    > Hmm.. I suppose its all relative to what you want to do with it.

    thank you.....
    what are the new features present in 6500 that are not present in
    5500 ?
    is it only the operational speed that is increased ?
    also can somebody tell me if 5500/6500 can terminate pppoe/pppoa
    sessions ie., authenticate users.

    cheeku, May 16, 2007
  6. In article <>,
    cheeku <> wrote:

    >what are the new features present in 6500 that are not present in
    >5500 ?
    >is it only the operational speed that is increased ?
    >also can somebody tell me if 5500/6500 can terminate pppoe/pppoa
    >sessions ie., authenticate users.

    http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

    Enter your platform, choose your software revision, choose your
    feature set, and see what features are present.

    Walter Roberson, May 17, 2007
  7. cheeku

    Guest

    I've been following this thread. How interesting. Short answer: you
    need a supervisor, preferably a sup III. It is like the 6500 in that
    there is nothing happenin' without a sup.

    Good question from others: why would you want to use a 5500? In its
    time, its strengths were the variety of supported network types,
    notably the lame token ring support Cisco offered and ATM, of course.
    Problem is there is not routing in the sup. You will need to add an
    RSM-route switch module- for routing. If you want to support serial,
    the VIP-2 module is a daughter blade to the RSM. It all works well,
    but it is now way too old for the benefit.
    If you can't see your way to a 6500 with sup 720s (taking you into the
    US$70K range easily w/ redundant sups), then look at the nice 3800
    routers for serial in combination with L3 switches like the 3560 or
    the overpriced 3750s. If you can get 3550s, they work nicely for SVI
    routing and will very much outperform the RSM on a 5500
    The 5500s were rock-solid platforms. 3 ports of gig E for a whole
    blade is not acceptable anymore.
    If you want to put together a system that has serial support for a lot
    of asynch or T1, ATM, token ring, and fastEth, a 5509 will do a slow
    job but works. There is even redundant sup support. system code and
    firmware for the modules would be hard to come by these days, though.

    good luck.

    On Thu, 17 May 2007 02:59:07 GMT, (Walter
    Roberson) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >cheeku <> wrote:
    >
    >>what are the new features present in 6500 that are not present in
    >>5500 ?
    >>is it only the operational speed that is increased ?
    >>also can somebody tell me if 5500/6500 can terminate pppoe/pppoa
    >>sessions ie., authenticate users.

    >http://www.cisco.com/go/fn
    >
    >Enter your platform, choose your software revision, choose your
    >feature set, and see what features are present.

    , May 18, 2007
  8. cheeku

    cheeku Guest

    On May 18, 9:50 am, wrote:
    > I've been following this thread. How interesting. Short answer: you
    > need a supervisor, preferably a sup III. It is like the 6500 in that
    > there is nothing happenin' without a sup.
    >
    > Good question from others: why would you want to use a 5500? In its
    > time, its strengths were the variety of supported network types,
    > notably the lame token ring support Cisco offered and ATM, of course.
    > Problem is there is not routing in the sup. You will need to add an
    > RSM-route switch module- for routing. If you want to support serial,
    > the VIP-2 module is a daughter blade to the RSM. It all works well,
    > but it is now way too old for the benefit.
    > If you can't see your way to a 6500 with sup 720s (taking you into the
    > US$70K range easily w/ redundant sups), then look at the nice 3800
    > routers for serial in combination with L3 switches like the 3560 or
    > the overpriced 3750s. If you can get 3550s, they work nicely for SVI
    > routing and will very much outperform the RSM on a 5500
    > The 5500s were rock-solid platforms. 3 ports of gig E for a whole
    > blade is not acceptable anymore.
    > If you want to put together a system that has serial support for a lot
    > of asynch or T1, ATM, token ring, and fastEth, a 5509 will do a slow
    > job but works. There is even redundant sup support. system code and
    > firmware for the modules would be hard to come by these days, though.
    >
    > good luck.
    >
    > On Thu, 17 May 2007 02:59:07 GMT, (Walter
    >

    > Roberson) wrote:
    > >In article <>,
    > >cheeku <> wrote:

    > >>what are the new features present in 6500 that are not present in
    > >>5500 ?
    > >>is it only the operational speed that is increased ?
    > >>also can somebody tell me if 5500/6500 can terminate pppoe/pppoa
    > >>sessions ie., authenticate users.

    > >http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

    > >Enter your platform, choose your software revision, choose your
    > >feature set, and see what features are present.- Hide quoted text -

    hey,,,,,thanks ...that helped....

    cheeku, May 19, 2007