    Thanks in advance,
    Jenn
    , Dec 15, 2008

  2. DavidM Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am looking for a digital frame for my 88-year-old grandma who is NOT
    > gadget savvy. The goal is to find something that will go straight to
    > slideshow when powered on. Memory is not an issue as we intend to
    > leave the memory card in the slot. Resolution is not an issue since
    > her eyesight can't tell the difference anyway. A remove control with
    > easy buttons to rewind and forward is desirable. Start at the slide
    > where left off without starting from the begriming every time is
    > nice. Can someone recommend a make or model?
    >
    > Saw a Coby dp-772 at CVS yesterday. It looked nice and within price
    > range but the clerk dose not allow testing. Does any one know if it
    > will go straight to slideshow when powered on? Grandma will not be
    > able to handle instructions that involve button pushing.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Jenn

    I've only used budget frames, so don't know how the big brand versions
    work. I can't even see a way of randomly playing my pictures, they just
    want to start at the beginning each time and churn through.

    The frames will happily start playing a slideshow once powered on, that
    should keep your granny happy, but they do not begin from the last photo
    viewed.

    This is uninformed speculation, but I would imagine that these frames
    just can't handle the thousands of file names; beyond simply scrolling
    through in the order that they exist on the media. Random play and
    resumed play would require that they hold a list of all file names in
    RAM or stored somewhere, then refer to the list and amend it for each
    slide change. Too resource hungry and time consuming for a cheap
    consumer product I guess.

    Does this sound right? Do any frames do random play or resume play?
    DavidM, Dec 15, 2008

  3. Guest

    I see what you mean about random play adding to the cost. So I am
    scraching that off the list. My real question now is if Coby's dp-772
    boots up on slideshow mode. Hope someone who owns one will chime
    in.

    From what I saw at Sears, not all frame start at slideshow. A few of
    them asked if this is USB, SD, xD or whatever and a multitudes of
    questions in icons. My grandma will not be able to handle that.

    Thanks again,
    Jenn
    , Dec 15, 2008