    How do you attach a polarizing filter, for example on the G7?
    Thanks for info.
    , May 12, 2007

  2. Mike Russell Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > For those who owns the G7, could you tell me whether the a filter
    > screen can be attached to the front of the camera? I notice that there
    > is a screw-in ring that attached to the front of the camera body.
    > However, one cannot screw in a filter screen, as the lens barrel
    > expand when you turn on the camera. Then, what is the use of this ring
    > for?
    > How do you attach a polarizing filter, for example on the G7?
    > Thanks for info.

    Canon makes a adapter tube. It screws into the ring on the camera and
    allows you to mount accessory lenses and filters. One place to buy them is
    eBay.
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/
    Mike Russell, May 12, 2007

  3. monopix Guest

    wrote:
    > For those who owns the G7, could you tell me whether the a filter
    > screen can be attached to the front of the camera? I notice that there
    > is a screw-in ring that attached to the front of the camera body.
    > However, one cannot screw in a filter screen, as the lens barrel
    > expand when you turn on the camera. Then, what is the use of this ring
    > for?
    > How do you attach a polarizing filter, for example on the G7?
    > Thanks for info.

    Why don't you try looking for the information yourself instead of posting
    all this crap.

    Added to kill file.
    monopix, May 13, 2007
  4. Dave Cohen Guest

    monopix wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> For those who owns the G7, could you tell me whether the a filter
    >> screen can be attached to the front of the camera? I notice that there
    >> is a screw-in ring that attached to the front of the camera body.
    >> However, one cannot screw in a filter screen, as the lens barrel
    >> expand when you turn on the camera. Then, what is the use of this ring
    >> for?
    >> How do you attach a polarizing filter, for example on the G7?
    >> Thanks for info.

    > Why don't you try looking for the information yourself instead of posting
    > all this crap.
    >
    > Added to kill file.

    I just looked at the canon site. Canon state lens accessories are
    available for this model, but Mike's post clarifies this point over and
    above what Canon offer.
    So please kill file me and we'll all kill file you and everyone will be
    happy.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, May 13, 2007
  5. On Sat, 12 May 2007 14:42:06 -0700, "Mike Russell"
    <-MOVE> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> For those who owns the G7, could you tell me whether the a filter
    >> screen can be attached to the front of the camera? I notice that there
    >> is a screw-in ring that attached to the front of the camera body.
    >> However, one cannot screw in a filter screen, as the lens barrel
    >> expand when you turn on the camera. Then, what is the use of this ring
    >> for?
    >> How do you attach a polarizing filter, for example on the G7?
    >> Thanks for info.

    >Canon makes a adapter tube. It screws into the ring on the camera and
    >allows you to mount accessory lenses and filters. One place to buy them is
    >eBay.

    I have this adapter (LA-DSC58H) that I bought so that I could use
    filters with the camera (nuetral densities and polarizers).

    The tube doesn't actually screw into the camera body (more of a push
    in and twist arrangement). Its made out of a plastic material so I
    would suggest getting a metal filter adapter (58mm) that you can screw
    into the tube and then screw filters into that. I don't know how well
    the plastic will hold up to screwing filters in and out over time.

    It works fine on my G7.
    eddie rukidding, May 13, 2007
  6. monopix Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > So please kill file me

    Consider it done.
    monopix, May 16, 2007
  7. monopix wrote:
    > Dave Cohen wrote:
    >> So please kill file me

    > Consider it done.

    But obviously it wasn't as you'd not be able to reply.
    Richard Polhill, May 16, 2007
  8. monopix Guest

    Richard Polhill wrote without his brain in gear:

    >> Consider it done.
    >>

    > But obviously it wasn't as you'd not be able to reply.

    But I had to read it before I knew he wanted me to kill file him. Adding
    someone to your kill file doesn't delete already received messages either so
    I was still able to reply even after I had done it, which I had - and now
    I've added you as well. Isn't that nice?
    monopix, May 16, 2007
  9. monopix wrote:
    > Richard Polhill wrote without his brain in gear:
    >>> Consider it done.
    >>>

    >> But obviously it wasn't as you'd not be able to reply.

    > But I had to read it before I knew he wanted me to kill file him. Adding
    > someone to your kill file doesn't delete already received messages either so
    > I was still able to reply even after I had done it, which I had - and now
    > I've added you as well. Isn't that nice?

    Your newsgroups must be very quiet these days.

    Do you just killfile everybody?
    Richard Polhill, May 17, 2007
  10. SMS Guest

    See "http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/G7.html"
    SMS, May 18, 2007
  11. Guest

    On May 18, 10:42 am, SMS <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > For those who owns the G7, could you tell me whether the a filter
    > > screen can be attached to the front of the camera? I notice that there
    > > is a screw-in ring that attached to the front of the camera body.
    > > However, one cannot screw in a filter screen, as the lens barrel
    > > expand when you turn on the camera. Then, what is the use of this ring
    > > for?
    > > How do you attach a polarizing filter, for example on the G7?
    > > Thanks for info.

    > See "http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/G7.html"

    Thanks for the very helpful information. I can now understand better
    on how the attachment is made. Unfortunately that because of the
    retracting original lens, design for the filter will be more
    complicated than just screw into the end of the lens barrel.
    I wonder if there are high end P&S camera, which do not retract into
    the inside body of the camera, and therefore can just attach a filter
    in front. I am asking this question, because I may want to use all of
    my old filters, which are ranging from 49mm to 67mm (for various type
    of lenses and cameras - SLR, 645, to 6x7).
    I have a lot of step up and step down rings, and would like to utilize
    that when using a digital cameras.
    Thanks again for the useful info. From this point, perhaps it is
    better to go to the next step of using DSLR than P&S.

    For those who criticize this topic because the assumption is that one
    can always search and find info by himself or herself in the internet,
    one must also realize that not everyone has the latest computer with
    the super high speed connection. I am still using Windows 95 and dial
    up modem connection. It took a long time to download things from the
    internet. Even in urban western world, there are areas where access to
    high speed is still not available. High speed internet in the arctic
    region is slow as a snail. I though that the idea of a usenet group is
    to ask questions and discuss things with others. There are people from
    every corner of the world that utilize this forum, some with minimum
    equipment available to access the internet. If you are at the top of
    the Kilimanjaro and taking photos, you may not get easy access to the
    high speed internet. Some people went to visit this very every hours,
    some just ocassionally. They don't know what questions may have been
    repeated previously. But.... if you consider this is a nuisance, then
    there is nothing in this world which is new. Life and history is in
    full circles. Young people who just join the forum will ask questions
    which have been answered thousand times before.
    One person's question may be irrelevant for others. But people has
    different taste and needs. I consider B&W photography is junk, as I
    like colourful photos... but many would disagree. Ansel Adams would
    get upset if he read this statement. but, it is just a matter of
    opinion and preference.
    , May 18, 2007
  12. Trev Guest

    <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > every corner of the world that utilize this forum, some with minimum
    > equipment available to access the internet. If you are at the top of
    > the Kilimanjaro and taking photos, you may not get easy access to the
    > high speed internet. Some people went to visit this very every hours,
    > some just ocassionally. They don't know what questions may have been
    > repeated previously. But.... if you consider this is a nuisance, then
    > there is nothing in this world which is new. Life and history is in
    > full circles. Young people who just join the forum will ask questions
    > which have been answered thousand times before.
    > One person's question may be irrelevant for others. But people has
    > different taste and needs. I consider B&W photography is junk, as I
    > like colourful photos... but many would disagree. Ansel Adams would
    > get upset if he read this statement. but, it is just a matter of

    Look at the Fuji S9600 or 9500 the have a thread and take 58mm but because
    the lens does not retract the are as bulky as a DSLR bur with 28mm to 300mm
    equivalent lens
    Trev, May 18, 2007
  13. I'm not quite clear what you mean by "high end P&S." If you simply mean
    non-DSLR models, there are many. For example, I own a Nikon 8800 that
    has a threaded front to the lens for filter attachment. It can be used
    in P&S mode, but it also has tremendous flexibility for other modes up
    to manual. For reasons that are beyond me, it has a non-standard thread
    size, but I have step-up and down rings that allow me to use all kinds
    of filters should I choose.

    This is not a particularly compact camera. It does have a very long zoom
    and IS, but I would never say it is the equivalent of a DSRL. But it
    does take filters just like they do, and if you know how to deal with
    its limitations (it can be slow to respond), it can take superb
    pictures. Note that I am not suggesting this camera, but offereing it
    as an example of a type of camera that takes filters in the normal way.

    Joe

    Joseph Miller, May 19, 2007
  14. ASAAR Guest

    On 18 May 2007 15:06:11 -0700, wrote:

    > Thanks for the very helpful information. I can now understand better
    > on how the attachment is made. Unfortunately that because of the
    > retracting original lens, design for the filter will be more
    > complicated than just screw into the end of the lens barrel.
    > I wonder if there are high end P&S camera, which do not retract into
    > the inside body of the camera, and therefore can just attach a filter
    > in front. I am asking this question, because I may want to use all of
    > my old filters, which are ranging from 49mm to 67mm (for various type
    > of lenses and cameras - SLR, 645, to 6x7).
    > I have a lot of step up and step down rings, and would like to utilize
    > that when using a digital cameras.
    > Thanks again for the useful info. From this point, perhaps it is
    > better to go to the next step of using DSLR than P&S.

    My old Fuji S5100 has the retracting type lens and so a barrel
    needs to be used to attach aux. lenses and filters. The updated
    version, Fuji's S5200 can use the same aux. lenses and filters, but
    because it uses a non-extending lens, doesn't need the barrel
    adapter. It has a shape similar to the Fuji S9500/S9600 already
    mentioned (it looks like a DSLR) but it is far smaller. It does
    have many of its features, including full manual control and raw
    file capability, but lacks the S9600's flash hotshoe.
    ASAAR, May 19, 2007