Need info on Canon dioptric adjustment lenses, and, shooting with glasses on

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peabody, Jan 21, 2010.

  1. Peabody

    Peabody Guest

    I'm pretty nearsighted, and my glasses are "no-line" progressives.
    I was at the store looking at cameras, and found that with my
    glasses off, none of the cameras' eyepiece diopter adjustment knobs
    went far enough minus to get me in focus.

    But with my glasses on, I'm kinda far away from the eyepiece, and
    after the best knob adjustment it still didn't look all that great,
    maybe because the glasses are progressive, which means the
    correction varies continuously from top to bottom.

    So I see that Amazon has "dioptric adjustment" lenses for $17, but
    it's not clear whether this is an additional lens that goes in front
    of the eyepiece, or a replacement for the existing eyepiece.

    Apparently the adjustment lens also requires something called a
    "rubber frame", but I can't tell if that's already on the camera, or
    has to be ordered as well.

    I've been looking at the XSi, and maybe a used XTi.

    Can someone who has been down this road share some information and
    wisdom with me? Also, do most people who seriously need glasses
    just shoot with their glasses on?

    Peabody, Jan 21, 2010

  2. Peabody

    Ofnuts Guest

    Re: Need info on Canon dioptric adjustment lenses, and, shootingwith glasses on

    On 21/01/2010 16:13, Peabody wrote:

    > Apparently the adjustment lens also requires something called a
    > "rubber frame", but I can't tell if that's already on the camera, or
    > has to be ordered as well.
    >
    > I've been looking at the XSi, and maybe a used XTi.

    The "rubber frame" around the eyepiece on the XTi is removable, so it's
    possible to replace it with a lens, that could itself receive the frame.
    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Jan 21, 2010

  3. Peabody

    Peabody Guest

    BB says...

    Thanks for everyone's responses.

    > Even if you find an appropriate diopter lens to allow
    > you to see clearly through the viewfinder without
    > glasses, you will find that you'll be constantly taking
    > your glasses on and off as you go from looking through
    > the viewfinder to looking at the LCD screen, if like me
    > you have presbyopia (can't see up close) as well as
    > nearsightedness (needing correction for seeing in the
    > distance).

    I'm nearsighted enough that I see quite well close up
    without glasses, so with the right diopter adjustment for
    the eyepiece I could be in no-glasses mode for everything.
    Well, except for viewing the scene without the camera. :)

    > I've just given up and always wear my glasses when
    > shooting. You get used to it after a while and
    > subconsciously learn where to position your eye with
    > respect to the viewfinder so that you get the best view.
    > By the way, switching from portrait to landscape
    > orientation alters the required eye position so you have
    > to learn to adjust to it separately for both.

    I'll give that a try and see if I can make it work. It's
    just that for manual focusing situations I think it would be
    best to operate without the glasses. But I'll just have to
    experiment.

    Peabody, Jan 22, 2010