Need how to advice.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nixiguf, Jun 4, 2011.

  1. nixiguf

    nixiguf Guest

    nixiguf, Jun 4, 2011

  2. nixiguf

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 12:34:24 -0700, nixiguf <> wrote:

    >Could someone please advise me how to take good pictures of metal watch
    >bands under fluorescent light? This is much more difficult than I thought.
    >How do I get rid of those shiny reflected lights and how do I make
    >background white with no shadows?
    >
    >Here is the sample picture of it.
    >https://picasaweb.google.com/nixiguf/WatchBands?authkey=Gv1sRgCNbyu6CI9urNTw#5614375272798494594
    >
    >Thank you.

    Using a "soft box" will help with the reflections. If you are going
    to take this type of photograph as a business, then a soft box like
    this is available for under $100. If it's a one-shot thing, then
    fabricate something out of cloth (an old sheet) with a hole cut in the
    top so you can photograph straight down. You may need more light than
    overhead flurrescents provide.

    Eliminating shadows is done by balancing the light from all sides, but
    it's tough to be shadow-free.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 4, 2011

  3. nixiguf

    Ray Fischer Guest

    tony cooper <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 12:34:24 -0700, nixiguf <> wrote:
    >
    >>Could someone please advise me how to take good pictures of metal watch
    >>bands under fluorescent light? This is much more difficult than I thought.
    >>How do I get rid of those shiny reflected lights and how do I make
    >>background white with no shadows?
    >>
    >>Here is the sample picture of it.
    >>https://picasaweb.google.com/nixiguf/WatchBands?authkey=Gv1sRgCNbyu6CI9urNTw#5614375272798494594
    >>
    >>Thank you.

    >Using a "soft box" will help with the reflections.

    I think you meant "light box" or "light tent". A soft box is a box
    that provides a big diffuser for a flash.

    Or maybe that is what you meant. Shrug.

    There are several places that describe how to make a cheap light box:
    http://www.digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent
    http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Inexpensive-Photography-Lightbox

    Ray Fischer, Jun 5, 2011
  4. nixiguf

    tony cooper Guest

    On 05 Jun 2011 00:51:36 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:

    >tony cooper <> wrote:
    >>On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 12:34:24 -0700, nixiguf <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Could someone please advise me how to take good pictures of metal watch
    >>>bands under fluorescent light? This is much more difficult than I thought.
    >>>How do I get rid of those shiny reflected lights and how do I make
    >>>background white with no shadows?
    >>>
    >>>Here is the sample picture of it.
    >>>https://picasaweb.google.com/nixiguf/WatchBands?authkey=Gv1sRgCNbyu6CI9urNTw#5614375272798494594
    >>>
    >>>Thank you.

    >>Using a "soft box" will help with the reflections.

    >I think you meant "light box" or "light tent". A soft box is a box
    >that provides a big diffuser for a flash.
    >
    >Or maybe that is what you meant. Shrug.

    I meant to include a link to an example, but my wife called me to
    dinner.
    http://bintangmas.com/Photo Light Tent Cube Soft Box (75x75x75cm)

    Note that this is called a "soft box" by the manufacturer.

    Whether you diffuse the light by enclosing the illumination source or
    enclosing the object, you are softening the light.

    tony cooper, Jun 5, 2011
  5. nixiguf

    RichA Guest

    On Jun 4, 3:34 pm, nixiguf <> wrote:
    > Could someone please advise me how to take good pictures of metal watch
    > bands under fluorescent light? This is much more difficult than I thought..
    > How do I get rid of those shiny reflected lights and how do I make
    > background white with no shadows?
    >
    > Here is the sample picture of it.https://picasaweb.google.com/nixiguf/WatchBands?authkey=Gv1sRgCNbyu6C...
    >
    > Thank you.

    Most watch pictures you see in those glossy (or is it semi-gloss?)
    watch magazines are done with medium format digital or large format
    film. They are then processed to Hell. No wonder the shooters of that
    stuff earn what they do.
    RichA, Jun 6, 2011
  6. On Jun 4, 8:56 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On 05 Jun 2011 00:51:36 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:

    > >tony cooper  <> wrote:

    > >>Using a "soft box" will help with the reflections.

    > >I think you meant "light box" or "light tent". A soft box is a box
    > >that provides a big diffuser for a flash.

    > >Or maybe that is what you meant. Shrug.

    > I meant to include a link to an example, but my wife called me to
    > dinner.http://bintangmas.com/Photo Light Tent Cube Soft Box (75x75x75cm)
    >
    > Note that this is called a "soft box" by the manufacturer.
    >
    > Whether you diffuse the light by enclosing the illumination source or
    > enclosing the object, you are softening the light.

    Possibly the term is in the process of morphing. But since the thing
    you attach to your light source is a very different thing than the
    thing you surround your subject with and light from the outside, I
    strongly prefer that they have separate names, to avoid confusion.

    The term "light tent" was what was mostly used for the subject
    surrounding thing in the past, but lately they've started making them
    with some structure, so the "tent" name apparently bothered people (I
    don't see why, given the various exoskeletons actual tents frequently
    have, but never mind).
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 6, 2011
  7. On Jun 5, 9:51 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    > On Jun 4, 3:34 pm, nixiguf <> wrote:
    >
    > > Could someone please advise me how to take good pictures of metal watch
    > > bands under fluorescent light? This is much more difficult than I thought.
    > > How do I get rid of those shiny reflected lights and how do I make
    > > background white with no shadows?

    > > Here is the sample picture of it.https://picasaweb.google.com/nixiguf/WatchBands?authkey=Gv1sRgCNbyu6C...

    > > Thank you.

    > Most watch pictures you see in those glossy (or is it semi-gloss?)
    > watch magazines are done with medium format digital or large format
    > film.

    So what? You may need that much resolution if you're actually going
    to be published in a glossy magazine, but if you just need it for the
    web, the extra resolution is irrelevant. It's just the lighting and
    processing and such that matter.

    > They are then processed to Hell. No wonder the shooters of that
    > stuff earn what they do.

    I often get rid of shadows in Ebay photos with post-processing.

    Yeah, people doing high-end magazine adds of jewelry and stuff gotta
    work for it.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 6, 2011
  8. nixiguf

    M-M Guest

    In article <ise1be$j7$>, nixiguf <>
    wrote:

    > Could someone please advise me how to take good pictures of metal watch
    > bands under fluorescent light? This is much more difficult than I thought.
    > How do I get rid of those shiny reflected lights and how do I make
    > background white with no shadows?
    >
    > Here is the sample picture of it.
    > https://picasaweb.google.com/nixiguf/WatchBands?authkey=Gv1sRgCNbyu6CI9urNTw#5
    > 614375272798494594
    >
    > Thank you.

    Turn off the harsh lights and use a tripod and long exposure.

    That will work better than what you have, although what you have is not
    so bad at all.

    --
    m-m
    Photo Gallery:
    M-M, Jun 6, 2011
  9. nixiguf

    John Turco Guest

    M-M wrote:

    > > In article <ise1be$j7$>, nixiguf <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > Could someone please advise me how to take good pictures of metal watch
    > > bands under fluorescent light? This is much more difficult than I thought.
    > > How do I get rid of those shiny reflected lights and how do I make
    > > background white with no shadows?
    > >
    > > Here is the sample picture of it.
    > > https://picasaweb.google.com/nixiguf/WatchBands?authkey=Gv1sRgCNbyu6CI9urNTw#5
    > > 614375272798494594
    > >
    > > Thank you.

    > Turn off the harsh lights and use a tripod and long exposure.
    >
    > That will work better than what you have, although what you have is not
    > so bad at all.

    Yes, I agree...the original poster's sample is quite good, indeed.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jun 30, 2011