    Linksys, they said it has nothing to do with them. Do I need to do any IP forwarding? in addition to
    opening the port?

    Tony
    Tony, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Tony

    AG Guest

    "Tony" < > wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have 2 seperate clients (Doctor and Lawyer) who have asked me to help

    them set up PCA on their
    > work PCs so they can connect from home. (I know it can be done using XP

    but they both feel
    > comfortable with PCA).
    >
    > Both are using a wired Linksys router with Cable modem. I created a host

    on each (user name = temp,
    > PW = temp) just as a test. I have their WAN IP Address. I am unable to

    connect.

    > I am assuming I must configure the Linksys Router to open the port for PCA

    but when I called
    > Linksys, they said it has nothing to do with them. Do I need to do any IP

    forwarding? in addition to
    > opening the port?
    >
    > Tony

    We need more information about their networks. Are they on private IP
    addresses behind a router/firewall? If so you might not be able to do what
    they want. I use Tight VNC around here but I'm on a local network. You
    might have to set up tunneling or a DMZ with their PCs outside the DMZ, not
    a very secure thing to do.
    AG
    AG, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 14:43:48 -0500, "AG" <> wrote:

    >"Tony" < > wrote in message
    >> I have 2 seperate clients (Doctor and Lawyer) who have asked me to help

    >them set up PCA on their
    >> work PCs so they can connect from home. (I know it can be done using XP

    >but they both feel
    >> comfortable with PCA).
    >>
    >> Both are using a wired Linksys router with Cable modem. I created a host

    >on each (user name = temp,
    >> PW = temp) just as a test. I have their WAN IP Address. I am unable to

    >connect.
    >>
    >> I am assuming I must configure the Linksys Router to open the port for PCA

    >but when I called
    >> Linksys, they said it has nothing to do with them. Do I need to do any IP

    >forwarding? in addition to
    >> opening the port?
    >>
    >> Tony

    >We need more information about their networks. Are they on private IP
    >addresses behind a router/firewall? If so you might not be able to do what
    >they want. I use Tight VNC around here but I'm on a local network. You
    >might have to set up tunneling or a DMZ with their PCs outside the DMZ, not
    >a very secure thing to do.
    >AG

    They have a Linksys cable modem router. No VPN or firewalls. Their LAN addresses are using the
    default of 192.168.1.x that Linksys provides.

    Tony
    Tony, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Tony

    GoGators Guest

    "Tony" < > wrote in message

    > On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 14:43:48 -0500, "AG" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Tony" < > wrote in message
    > >> I have 2 seperate clients (Doctor and Lawyer) who have asked me to help

    > >them set up PCA on their
    > >> work PCs so they can connect from home. (I know it can be done using XP

    > >but they both feel
    > >> comfortable with PCA).
    > >>
    > >> Both are using a wired Linksys router with Cable modem. I created a

    host
    > >on each (user name = temp,
    > >> PW = temp) just as a test. I have their WAN IP Address. I am unable to

    > >connect.
    > >>
    > >> I am assuming I must configure the Linksys Router to open the port for

    PCA
    > >but when I called
    > >> Linksys, they said it has nothing to do with them. Do I need to do any

    IP
    > >forwarding? in addition to
    > >> opening the port?
    > >>
    > >> Tony

    > >We need more information about their networks. Are they on private IP
    > >addresses behind a router/firewall? If so you might not be able to do

    what
    > >they want. I use Tight VNC around here but I'm on a local network. You
    > >might have to set up tunneling or a DMZ with their PCs outside the DMZ,

    not
    > >a very secure thing to do.
    > >AG
    > >

    > They have a Linksys cable modem router. No VPN or firewalls. Their LAN

    addresses are using the
    > default of 192.168.1.x that Linksys provides.
    >

    > Tony

    How can it have nothing to do with them? The router stops traffic from the
    WAN.

    try here
    http://tinyurl.com/2l7lx

    you might have to upgrade the firmware...I did before it would work for
    multiple PCs behind the router. Also, if they do not have static IPs it
    will stop working after the DHCP address changes. Recommending Static IP
    addresses will save much heartache later.

    GoGators
    GoGators, Jun 1, 2004
  5. Tony

    David Hough Guest

    Tony, I show PCanywhere using port 5631, so you might try setting up

    your DMZ with that port. Definately go with static IP. Before you even

    try check to see PCanywhere host is active, waiting to connect.

    Disable the host when done, for security purposes
    David Hough, Jun 2, 2004
  6. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I opened up port 5631 in the linksys yesterday but it was no good.

    The host is Waiting but when I go offsite, it cannot connect.

    Tony

    Tony, Jun 2, 2004
  7. Tony

    David Hough Guest

    Another aproach, Tony, talk to the cable company whom provides the feed
    to the doctor's office. They might offer, (for a fee) a static IP and
    enable port 5631 on thier server. On one of my clients, this was done,
    for an additional $50 a month. This was a DSL account using a router
    provided by them, on which we are passworded out. On another account,
    we went in with our own router, and PCanywhere set right up. If you try
    to continue with a host that is a DHCP server, every time power is lost
    at the router, it goes out and negotiates a new ip. You have to web out
    to the router, to find out what it is. I don't know if a Doctor or
    Lawyer is going to want to deal with this, as well as maintain secure
    passwords. Dialup PCanywhere is another option to look at. I have a
    restuarant doing that very successfully every week.
    David Hough, Jun 3, 2004
  8. Tony

    TechGeekPro Guest

    "David Hough" <> wrote in message

    > Another aproach, Tony, talk to the cable company whom provides the feed
    > to the doctor's office. They might offer, (for a fee) a static IP and
    > enable port 5631 on thier server. On one of my clients, this was done,
    > for an additional $50 a month. This was a DSL account using a router
    > provided by them, on which we are passworded out. On another account,
    > we went in with our own router, and PCanywhere set right up. If you try
    > to continue with a host that is a DHCP server, every time power is lost
    > at the router, it goes out and negotiates a new ip. You have to web out
    > to the router, to find out what it is. I don't know if a Doctor or
    > Lawyer is going to want to deal with this, as well as maintain secure
    > passwords. Dialup PCanywhere is another option to look at. I have a
    > restuarant doing that very successfully every week.

    Or instead of a static IP address, you could use a Dynamic DNS service like
    www.dyndns.org.
    TechGeekPro, Jun 4, 2004
  9. Tony

    Chris Guest

    I use pcanywhere with the www.dyndns.org service combined with a
    dlink704 router with built in support for the dyndns service so it is
    automatic. I have a few customers using this setup with DSL lines that
    reset there ip address almost daily sometimes and there is never a
    problem or any need for intervention on the customer's side.

    Chris, Jun 4, 2004