    and their is no dns servers.also their ip address is in hexidecimal.
    I recently got a new router box from the cable company as it also allows me
    to get digital telephone through the one box.

    miker, Sep 14, 2007

  2. Did you reset the router? maybe thats all it needs, disconnect the power for
    about 30 sec en then replug it then start up your or their Laptop.

    Paul van Hagen, Sep 14, 2007

  3. "miker" <> wrote in message

    > I have a cable internet connection.I share the connection with another user.
    > When that user wants to use they just unplug my connection and plug the
    > ethernet wire into their laptop(both computers are laptops).
    > However for some reason they cannot connect anymore.no connection error
    > message.
    > I typed ipconfig/all on their command prompt.
    > and their is no dns servers.also their ip address is in hexidecimal.
    > I recently got a new router box from the cable company as it also allows me
    > to get digital telephone through the one box.

    Although you said you performed "ipconfig/all", did you perform
    "ipconfig/release" then "ipconfig/renew"?

    Also, and in rare cases, is your new router programmed for DHCP? Is your
    laptop, the one you can connect with, statically configured with an IP
    address?
    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Sep 14, 2007
  4. "miker" <> wrote in message

    > I have followed all your suggestions.
    > i turned off the router and did release renew command .also the the
    > connection gets ip address automatically.
    > It is basically set up the same as my own computer which has no problem.
    > When i type ipconfig on users computer i get a strange response.
    > i get the following message
    > AUTOCONFIGURATION IP ADDRESS 169.254.181.48
    > SUBNET MASK 255.255.0.0
    > IP ADDRESS fe80::201:4aff:fef1;f11b%4
    > then i get this
    > TUNNELL ADAPTER TEREDO TUNNELLING PSEUDO-INTERFACE
    > CONNECTION SPECIFIC DNS SUFFIX
    > IP ADDRESS fe::ffff:ffff:fffd%5
    > default gateway .............................:
    > The user does not know what happened .
    > In their network connections they have 3 connections .
    > One is a wireless connection.The others is intel pro/100 ve network co (
    > same as my computer which works)
    > the last one is 1394 lan connection.
    > i have disabled 1394 plus the wireless in device manager.
    > Basically their is no connection here but i dont know why.
    > sorry this post is so long.
    > I appreciate your help very much.
    >
    > "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <> wrote in
    > message news:O%...
    > > "miker" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> I have a cable internet connection.I share the connection with another
    > >> user.
    > >> When that user wants to use they just unplug my connection and plug the
    > >> ethernet wire into their laptop(both computers are laptops).
    > >> However for some reason they cannot connect anymore.no connection error
    > >> message.
    > >> I typed ipconfig/all on their command prompt.
    > >> and their is no dns servers.also their ip address is in hexidecimal.
    > >> I recently got a new router box from the cable company as it also allows
    > >> me
    > >> to get digital telephone through the one box.

    > > Although you said you performed "ipconfig/all", did you perform
    > > "ipconfig/release" then "ipconfig/renew"?
    > >
    > > Also, and in rare cases, is your new router programmed for DHCP? Is your
    > > laptop, the one you can connect with, statically configured with an IP
    > > address?
    > > --
    > > Michael D. Alligood,
    > > MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST
    > > CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com

    If you are sure there is nothing wrong with the physical connection,
    please download and run this
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html on the laptop that cannot
    connect. Obviously you will have to download this on the laptop that can
    connect :) <-- sorry, this is habit to tell end users. Let me know if
    it works.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Sep 15, 2007
  5. miker

    miker Guest

    miker, Sep 15, 2007
  6. miker

    John R Guest

    "miker" <> wrote in message
    >I have followed all your suggestions.
    > i turned off the router and did release renew command .also the the
    > connection gets ip address automatically.
    > It is basically set up the same as my own computer which has no problem.
    > When i type ipconfig on users computer i get a strange response.
    > i get the following message
    > AUTOCONFIGURATION IP ADDRESS 169.254.181.48
    > SUBNET MASK 255.255.0.0
    > IP ADDRESS fe80::201:4aff:fef1;f11b%4
    > then i get this
    > TUNNELL ADAPTER TEREDO TUNNELLING PSEUDO-INTERFACE
    > CONNECTION SPECIFIC DNS SUFFIX
    > IP ADDRESS fe::ffff:ffff:fffd%5
    > default gateway .............................:
    > The user does not know what happened .
    > In their network connections they have 3 connections .
    > One is a wireless connection.The others is intel pro/100 ve network co (
    > same as my computer which works)
    > the last one is 1394 lan connection.
    > i have disabled 1394 plus the wireless in device manager.
    > Basically their is no connection here but i dont know why.
    > sorry this post is so long.
    > I appreciate your help very much.
    >
    > "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <> wrote
    > in message news:O%...
    >> "miker" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I have a cable internet connection.I share the connection with another
    >>> user.
    >>> When that user wants to use they just unplug my connection and plug the
    >>> ethernet wire into their laptop(both computers are laptops).
    >>> However for some reason they cannot connect anymore.no connection error
    >>> message.
    >>> I typed ipconfig/all on their command prompt.
    >>> and their is no dns servers.also their ip address is in hexidecimal.
    >>> I recently got a new router box from the cable company as it also allows
    >>> me
    >>> to get digital telephone through the one box.

    >> Although you said you performed "ipconfig/all", did you perform
    >> "ipconfig/release" then "ipconfig/renew"?
    >>
    >> Also, and in rare cases, is your new router programmed for DHCP? Is your
    >> laptop, the one you can connect with, statically configured with an IP
    >> address?
    >> --
    >> Michael D. Alligood,
    >> MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST
    >> The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
    >> CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com

    Michael's suggestion is a good one, I've used similar tools in the past.
    The problem may well be a corrupt registry entry.

    However, when you say you turned off the router and then did an
    ipconfig/release and then a ipconfig/renew. The IP address shown is an
    APIPA address 169.254.x.x. TCP/IP will configure such an address when it is
    unable to contact a DHCP. Typically, the DHCP is in the router. If the
    router was off, that is the type of address I would expect to see.

    What might be of more information is to hook up the computer that works, and
    then do an ipconfig/all and post those results. The gateway address should
    be the address of the router, typically this is class C 192.168.x.x private
    address space. Once you do that, then hook up the non-working computer,
    boot it, and do an ipconfig/all and post that so that we can see the
    comparison.

    John R

    John R, Sep 16, 2007
  7. miker

    miker Guest

    Michael ,I did as you suggested and it worked perfect.Many thanks .I was
    trying to figure out for 2 days.
    I would never have thought of a corrupt registry.
    Many thanks again .

    miker, Sep 16, 2007
  8. miker

    miker Guest

    john
    i still got the apipa address when the router was turned back on .
    The ip address on the working laptop was in the 85.210. etc range.
    But the winsock utility michael suggested did the trick.
    Thanks for your advice though.

    miker, Sep 16, 2007
  9. "miker" <> wrote in message

    > Michael ,I did as you suggested and it worked perfect.Many thanks .I was
    > trying to figure out for 2 days.
    > I would never have thought of a corrupt registry.
    > Many thanks again .

    You are very welcome.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Sep 16, 2007