    something to do with the re-recordability of the file? If so, is there a
    way to change it?

    Thanks for any and all help or suggestions.
    September, Jul 19, 2004

  2. September

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "September" <> wrote in message
    news:
    >| I'm trying to write a multi track music cd from d/l'd mp3 files and
    >| it just ain't working out. I've gone through dozens of CD's... tried
    >| 3 different programs and still nothing. If I try to copy data or a
    >| single track music file to the CD it works - but not multi.
    >|
    >| After many frustrating hours of uninstalling and reinstalling, I
    >| started looking at the files I was trying to write I noticed in the
    >| music tags it read that some have copyrighting and some don't. Does
    >| this have something to do with the re-recordability of the file? If
    >| so, is there a way to change it?
    >|
    >| Thanks for any and all help or suggestions.

    Have you tried telling the program to record all of the files in one shot?
    In other words, are you recording only one, then adding another one later?
    Or are you trying to burn the whole playlist at the same time?

    Please tell us what type of computer, what operating version, what software
    have you tried?

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jul 19, 2004

  3. September

    Ethan Guest

    "September" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to write a multi track music cd from d/l'd mp3 files and it
    > just ain't working out. I've gone through dozens of CD's... tried 3
    > different programs and still nothing. If I try to copy data or a single
    > track music file to the CD it works - but not multi.
    >
    > After many frustrating hours of uninstalling and reinstalling,

    uninstalling what?

    I started
    > looking at the files I was trying to write I noticed in the music tags
    > it read that some have copyrighting and some don't. Does this have
    > something to do with the re-recordability of the file? If so, is there a
    > way to change it?

    shouldn't. i think your refering to the ID3 tag, which has a mark for
    copyrighted or not copyrighted. IF you say burn a copyrighted mp3 to a plain
    audio cd i beleive the cd track will still be marked as copyrighted. but
    almost every mp3 file or audio track i have ever seen is marked copyrighted.

    so no, this has nothing to do with rerecordability except that the copyright
    mark is usually transfered.

    in nero i think you could simply change the copyright mark

    > Thanks for any and all help or suggestions.

    i strongly reccomend Nero. i have used at least 2 other paid burning
    programs and nothing comes close to Nero. Nero 6 is the lastest but nero 4
    or 5 will work ok as long as your burner is supported by the version of the
    software package you choose.

    best
    Ethan, Jul 19, 2004
  4. September

    September Guest

    I'm trying to record multiple tracks in one session. It just stops
    recording - sometimes on the 4th track... sometimes the twelve.

    I'm a P4 2.4 with windows 98 and so far I've tried with Hotburn , Easy
    CD Creator 4 and 5 Platinum. The burner works, because as I said I
    copied an entire CD that was recorded as a single track and it works
    fine. Please help!

    September, Jul 19, 2004
  5. September

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Do you have other things running in the background? Hard drive access during
    burning can sometimes cause problems. When I was using Windows 98 I always
    disabled everything I possibly could before burning. (But then, my CPU was
    also rather slow).

    Ethan is also correct in suggesting a different program. Nero has a
    downloadable trial copy, I believe. Also, I do all my music work in Music
    Match, which will burn audio CDs.

    Final suggestion (personal opinion): lose the Windows 98. Your system is
    fast enough to work great with XP. It has been much more reliable for me
    when burning discs (as well as just about everything else I do...) Worst
    case, you may want to add memory too, but if you shop around for OEM copies
    of WinXP Home, you can get it for around half of what the retail upgrade
    costs. (Big job to do a clean install - backup, backup a 2nd copy, test both
    backups, THEN install XP <g>) To qualify for OEM versions of XP you will
    probably need to purchase some hardware item at the same time...and I
    usually suggest more memory.

    "September" <> wrote in message
    >| I'm trying to record multiple tracks in one session. It just stops
    >| recording - sometimes on the 4th track... sometimes the twelve.
    >|
    >| I'm a P4 2.4 with windows 98 and so far I've tried with Hotburn ,
    >| Easy CD Creator 4 and 5 Platinum. The burner works, because as I
    >| said I copied an entire CD that was recorded as a single track and
    >| it works fine. Please help!
    >|

    >| Toolman Tim wrote:
    >|

    >| > Have you tried telling the program to record all of the files in
    >| > one shot? In other words, are you recording only one, then adding
    >| > another one later? Or are you trying to burn the whole playlist at
    >| > the same time?
    >| >
    >| > Please tell us what type of computer, what operating version, what
    >| > software have you tried?

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jul 19, 2004
  6. September

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:02:39 -0400, September <> wrote:

    >I'm trying to write a multi track music cd from d/l'd mp3 files and it
    >just ain't working out. I've gone through dozens of CD's... tried 3
    >different programs and still nothing. If I try to copy data or a single
    >track music file to the CD it works - but not multi.
    >
    >After many frustrating hours of uninstalling and reinstalling, I started
    >looking at the files I was trying to write I noticed in the music tags
    >it read that some have copyrighting and some don't. Does this have
    >something to do with the re-recordability of the file? If so, is there a
    >way to change it?
    >
    >Thanks for any and all help or suggestions.

    You need to create a Audio CD, not a Data or a single track CD.
    That converts the mp3 file to a cda file. Each song becomes a
    "Track01.cda", "Track2.cda", etc. (Look at a Music CD's layout)

    I use NTI, but CD Creator must have a similar option.
    Unk, Jul 19, 2004
  7. September

    sethra Guest

    September <> wrote in

    > I'm trying to write a multi track music cd from d/l'd mp3 files and it
    > just ain't working out. I've gone through dozens of CD's... tried 3
    > different programs and still nothing. If I try to copy data or a
    > single track music file to the CD it works - but not multi.
    >
    > After many frustrating hours of uninstalling and reinstalling, I
    > started looking at the files I was trying to write I noticed in the
    > music tags it read that some have copyrighting and some don't. Does
    > this have something to do with the re-recordability of the file? If
    > so, is there a way to change it?
    >
    > Thanks for any and all help or suggestions.

    Convert all the mp3s to wav files then burn those as an audio cd in
    *one* session. Audio cd players can only read the first session of a
    burned disc, so unless you're going to play these on a computer cdrom,
    multisession audio won't work (and quite possibly won't work on the
    cdrom either). You must also be burning as *audio* not a *data* cd.

    If your computer is fast enough and your software supports it, you may
    be able to convert the source mp3 files to wavs "on the fly" during the
    burning process. Depending on your hardware, this may or may not affect
    the quality.

    Unless you're using some sort of DRM-enabled software, the copyright bit
    shouldn't make a difference.

    There are dozens of mp3 to wav converters and vice versa, including many
    freeware ones. Google some, try them out, and choose your favorite.

    More info:

    MakeCD faq:
    http://makecd.core.de/auto/FAQ-english_toc.html

    CDRfaq:
    http://www.cdrfaq.org/

    Regards,
    ~sethra
    sethra, Jul 19, 2004
  8. September

    September Guest

    Thanks for everyone's help... but it still isn't working reliably. Could
    it be that one of the MP3 files is corrupt somehow? The program I'm
    using doesn't test or verify the files before it burns them... so can
    this be it? If so, how do you test for that (Does Nero do it?) I've
    listened to every song and they seem fine to me (of course, I'm tone
    deaf : )

    September, Jul 19, 2004
  9. September

    Bob B Guest

    I also use Nero with no problem .... it will automatically burn and change
    mp3 files to tracks that can be played on any audio player. To save space on
    my hard drive I transfer about 80 tracks as mp3 onto each CD then drag back
    into a folder on my hard drive the songs I want to make a muti disk with.
    Also I use a small programme to unwrap albums into their individual songs
    (can't remember where I got it from.. BB ( I believe you can download a
    trial version of Nero)

    Bob B, Jul 20, 2004