- Need help with Windows Explorer Folders

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mary wei, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. mary wei

    mary wei Guest

    Hello Everybody,

    My Windows Explorer will not keep the "Details" mode for viewing file
    folders. Everyitme I open Windows Explorer it keeps going back to
    "Large Icons" I then go to "View/Details" to reset it. However when I
    close and then reopen the program, it goes back to "Large Icons".

    The left frame of the Windows Explorer screen is empty. There is no
    directory in it. I can close that portion of the window by clicking
    the "X" in the upper right corner. However, with a single window, I
    have no view of the overall directory.

    How can I get the frame with the directory in it back?

    How can I get Windows Explorer to accept "Details" as the default
    view?

    Thanks so much!

    mary wei, Oct 13, 2004

  2. mary wei

    zum Guest

    Not too sure about the first part but setting Details as the default is
    done as follows

    Pick any directory and set it up as details

    Go to tools on the menu bar

    Select folder options

    Click on the View Tab

    You will then have a load of tick boxes
    Ignore these but above them

    "You can set all of your folder to the same view" under which two boxes

    Click on "like current Folder"

    This should set them all to details....

    zum, Oct 13, 2004

  3. mary wei

    dadiOH Guest

    mary wei wrote:
    > The left frame of the Windows Explorer screen is empty. There is no
    > directory in it. I can close that portion of the window by clicking
    > the "X" in the upper right corner. However, with a single window, I
    > have no view of the overall directory.
    >
    > How can I get the frame with the directory in it back?

    View
    Explorer Bar
    Check "Folders"

    --
    dadiOH
    _____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
    ____________________________

    dadiOH, Oct 13, 2004
  4. mary wei

    mary wei Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:23:06 -0400, "dadiOH" <>
    wrote:

    >mary wei wrote:
    >> The left frame of the Windows Explorer screen is empty. There is no
    >> directory in it. I can close that portion of the window by clicking
    >> the "X" in the upper right corner. However, with a single window, I
    >> have no view of the overall directory.
    >>
    >> How can I get the frame with the directory in it back?

    >View
    > Explorer Bar
    > Check "Folders"

    Thanks, that got me part of the way there. It put the frame for the
    directory back in, but the frame was empty. There was no directory.

    Any ideas on what may have happened to the directory?

    mary wei, Oct 13, 2004
  5. mary wei

    dadiOH Guest

    mary wei wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:23:06 -0400, "dadiOH" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> mary wei wrote:
    >>> The left frame of the Windows Explorer screen is empty. There is
    >>> no directory in it. I can close that portion of the window by
    >>> clicking the "X" in the upper right corner. However, with a
    >>> single window, I have no view of the overall directory.
    >>>
    >>> How can I get the frame with the directory in it back?

    >> View
    >> Explorer Bar
    >> Check "Folders"

    > Thanks, that got me part of the way there. It put the frame for the
    > directory back in, but the frame was empty. There was no directory.
    >
    > Any ideas on what may have happened to the directory?

    *What* directory...WinExplorer shows you all of them on the drive (once you
    expand them)

    --
    dadiOH
    _____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
    ____________________________

    dadiOH, Oct 14, 2004
  6. mary wei

    mary wei Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:10:17 -0400, "dadiOH" <>
    wrote:

    >mary wei wrote:
    >> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:23:06 -0400, "dadiOH" <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> View
    >>> Explorer Bar
    >>> Check "Folders"

    >> Thanks, that got me part of the way there. It put the frame for the
    >> directory back in, but the frame was empty. There was no directory.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what may have happened to the directory?

    >*What* directory...WinExplorer shows you all of them on the drive (once you
    >expand them)

    When I go to View/Explorer bar and check folders, the existing window
    splits adding a frame on the left side where the whole directory
    structure for my hard drive, "C:" should appear. However, it is just
    an empty frame. If I go to View/Explorer bar and check favorites, the
    favorites appear in the left frame. But if I go back to View/Explorer
    bar and check folders, the left frame resizes slightly but the
    favorites remain and it doesn't change to folders. I tried copying
    the windows explorer program from an another machine to this machine,
    but the same thing happens.

    The other thing that is happening is the Windows Explorer window comes
    up less than full screen size. If I resize it and close the program,
    the next time it comes up, it is small again. How can I have it come
    up the same size it was when I last used the program?

    Thanks for your help!

    mary wei, Oct 14, 2004
  7. mary wei

    dadiOH Guest

    mary wei wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:10:17 -0400, "dadiOH" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> mary wei wrote:

    >>> ======================================================
    >>> Thanks, that got me part of the way there. It put the frame for
    >>> the directory back in, but the frame was empty. There was no
    >>> directory.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas on what may have happened to the directory?

    >> *What* directory...WinExplorer shows you all of them on the drive
    >> (once you expand them)

    > When I go to View/Explorer bar and check folders, the existing
    > window splits adding a frame on the left side where the whole
    > directory structure for my hard drive, "C:" should appear.
    > However, it is just an empty frame. If I go to View/Explorer bar
    > and check favorites, the favorites appear in the left frame. But
    > if I go back to View/Explorer bar and check folders, the left frame
    > resizes slightly but the favorites remain and it doesn't change to
    > folders. I tried copying the windows explorer program from an
    > another machine to this machine, but the same thing happens.
    >
    > The other thing that is happening is the Windows Explorer window
    > comes up less than full screen size. If I resize it and close the
    > program, the next time it comes up, it is small again. How can I
    > have it come up the same size it was when I last used the program?

    What you did should work. Judging from the fact that it doesn't - and that
    you get no directories in Windows Explorer in the explorer window - it would
    seem that Explorer is broken (just copying from another machine won't fix
    it).

    Try going...
    Start
    Settings
    Folder options...
    File types tab

    Skim down the list to "Folder" (NOT "File Folder"), select it and click
    "Edit". In the bottom portion in the "Actions" window there should be two
    entries..."explore" and "open". Select "explore", click the "Set Default"
    button and OK your way out.

    Now open Explorer and try...
    View
    Explorer Bar
    Check "Folders"

    Any better?
    _____________________________

    If not, you might try repairing Internet Explorer (it and WinExplorer are
    inter-related). To do so...
    Control Panel
    Add/Remove Programs
    Microsoft Internet Explorer
    "Remove" button

    That will give you a popup offering options including "Repair".

    If that doesn't fix stuff the next step would be to re-install Windows on
    top of itself. But before attempting that I'd explore the MS support pages
    for a solution, maybe Google for one, post to alt.windows98. You could also
    run SFC (system file checker) to see if you are missing anything.

    --
    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.0...

    dadiOH, Oct 14, 2004