    give the high resolution videos I need.

    Thanks,
    Ramesh
    fdfg, Nov 11, 2006

  2. fdfg <> wrote:
    : Hi,
    : I need a experimental setup, which requires me to monitor a small lab
    : area. It requires a video camera which would have high resolution and
    : able to send real-time video images to a PC. I dont think I would need
    : a high fps system, 24-30fps should do.

    (No flaming intended)

    A few people around here may be able to give their opinions, but you may
    get much more specific advice if you posted your question to a more
    appropriate group. This group is specifically concerned with digital still
    photography (tho occasional discussions do touch on video as captured with
    some digital still cameras with a video capture mode). It sounds like you
    may want to find a group that discuses video, digital video, video
    surveilance, spy gear, or something along those lines. The people in those
    groups would have more extensive knowledge of what equipment is available
    and my be able to give you more options at a better price than we would.

    JMHO.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Nov 11, 2006

  3. fdfg

    fdfg Guest

    Point taken.
    I only posted after reading prior discussions threads...or a google
    f@@$ probably.

    fdfg

    fdfg, Nov 11, 2006
  4. fdfg <> wrote:
    : Point taken.
    : I only posted after reading prior discussions threads...or a google
    : f@@$ probably.

    (grin) no problem. As I mentioned, video does get discussed from time to
    time (and occasionally in off topic threads) but I had the impression that
    you may be in need of more than an inexpensive point & shoot still camera
    in video mode which would likely give you about 30 seconds to 3 min of
    recording time before you have to change the recording media. :)

    Good luck

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Nov 11, 2006
  5. fdfg

    Cgiorgio Guest

    "fdfg" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Point taken.
    > I only posted after reading prior discussions threads...or a google
    > f@@$ probably.
    >
    > fdfg
    > Randy Berbaum wrote:
    >> fdfg <> wrote:
    >> : Hi,
    >> : I need a experimental setup, which requires me to monitor a small lab
    >> : area. It requires a video camera which would have high resolution and
    >> : able to send real-time video images to a PC. I dont think I would need
    >> : a high fps system, 24-30fps should do.
    >>
    >> (No flaming intended)
    >>
    >> A few people around here may be able to give their opinions, but you may
    >> get much more specific advice if you posted your question to a more
    >> appropriate group. This group is specifically concerned with digital
    >> still
    >> photography (tho occasional discussions do touch on video as captured
    >> with
    >> some digital still cameras with a video capture mode). It sounds like you
    >> may want to find a group that discuses video, digital video, video
    >> surveilance, spy gear, or something along those lines. The people in
    >> those
    >> groups would have more extensive knowledge of what equipment is available
    >> and my be able to give you more options at a better price than we would.
    >>
    >> JMHO.
    >>
    >> Randy
    >>
    >> ==========
    >> Randy Berbaum
    >> Champaign, IL

    If you need reasonable video quality, get a camcorder (cheap model mini-DV
    will probably do unless you have rather low light levels), a fire wire
    (IEEE1394) interface card and a video capture program for your operating
    system if it does not come with the interface. These cameras have real glass
    optics and 10 - 32 x optical zoom. Because of the small single sensor they
    tend to be noisy in low light conditions.
    Cgiorgio, Nov 11, 2006
  6. fdfg

    Matt Ion Guest

    fdfg wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I need a experimental setup, which requires me to monitor a small lab
    > area. It requires a video camera which would have high resolution and
    > able to send real-time video images to a PC. I dont think I would need
    > a high fps system, 24-30fps should do.
    >
    > I tried looking up on the net, and found couple of options
    > 1. Get a Wired CCTV camera with 1/3 type CCD
    > 2. Or get a camcorder which could relay video to a PC.
    >
    > I am not sure which one to go with, the specs for both look really the
    > same (in terms of resolution, fps, video capabilities) but option 1
    > seems to be relatively cheaper. Which one should I go with, do CCTV's
    > give the high resolution videos I need.

    alt.security.alarms is probably a better place to ask, but a couple quick
    answers for ya...

    Primary consideration here is cost. A basic analog system will be relatively
    cheap, but you get what you pay for. If you really want high-resolution, you'll
    want to look into 1.3MP-and-up IP cameras - analog video cameras are limited to
    520 TV lines, and most analog capture devices max out at around 640x480 or
    704x480 resolution. A 1.3MP camera, by contrast, captures 1280x1024, or fully
    four times the resolution, and they're also available in even higher resolutions
    (2MP, 3MP and up).

    The IP connection means you just plug it straight into your network (most
    support Power-over-Ethernet spec). They can typically be monitored via their
    built-in webserver using any web browser on the network, or can "push" images to
    another device (server, recorder, etc.) No additional hardware is needed
    (capture card, etc.)

    For a good example, take a look a the "Vigil High Definition" (quite improperly
    termed "HDTV") demo at http://www.camacc.com - they show quite clearly (pardon
    the pun) the difference between a 1.3MP IP cam and standard analog capture
    (note: the IQeye cameras they sell DO NOT *require* their software or hardware).
    Matt Ion, Nov 11, 2006
  7. fdfg

    m Ransley Guest

    A video camera can have a motor constantly running, not good for long
    life. Look into companies selling security cameras, you should for
    50-200$ get one at 1/3-2mp
    m Ransley, Nov 11, 2006
  8. fdfg

    fdfg Guest

    Matt Ion wrote:

    More than the cost consideration I would like to have a high-res cam
    which can work indoors.

    > The IP connection means you just plug it straight into your network (most
    > support Power-over-Ethernet spec). They can typically be monitored via their
    > built-in webserver using any web browser on the network, or can "push" images to
    > another device (server, recorder, etc.) No additional hardware is needed
    > (capture card, etc.)

    IP connections is a possibility, but for the delays. I atleast see 1
    sec delay before I get to process the data.

    > For a good example, take a look a the "Vigil High Definition" (quite improperly
    > termed "HDTV") demo at http://www.camacc.com - they show quite clearly (pardon
    > the pun) the difference between a 1.3MP IP cam and standard analog capture
    > (note: the IQeye cameras they sell DO NOT *require* their software or hardware).

    The pictures are too grainy and low-res.
    fdfg, Nov 12, 2006
  9. fdfg

    Matt Ion Guest

    fdfg wrote:
    > Matt Ion wrote:
    >

    > More than the cost consideration I would like to have a high-res cam
    > which can work indoors.

    Well that's the point: the higher the res, the higher the cost. How much do you
    want to spend?

    >>The IP connection means you just plug it straight into your network (most
    >>support Power-over-Ethernet spec). They can typically be monitored via their
    >>built-in webserver using any web browser on the network, or can "push" images to
    >>another device (server, recorder, etc.) No additional hardware is needed
    >>(capture card, etc.)

    > IP connections is a possibility, but for the delays. I atleast see 1
    > sec delay before I get to process the data.

    If you want "instantaneous", you have to use analog cameras... and as already
    stated, analog cameras are limited to 520 video lines at best; few analog
    capture cards will process over 640x480 or 704x480. The analog video signal
    simply doesn't provide higher resolution than that.

    >>For a good example, take a look a the "Vigil High Definition" (quite improperly
    >>termed "HDTV") demo at http://www.camacc.com - they show quite clearly (pardon
    >>the pun) the difference between a 1.3MP IP cam and standard analog capture
    >>(note: the IQeye cameras they sell DO NOT *require* their software or hardware).

    > The pictures are too grainy and low-res.

    "Low res"?? 1.3MP is "low res"??? 1.3MP is close to 1080i HDTV resolution, and
    pretty damn high for video. Look at a 3.1MP camera if that's not enough... but
    be prepared to pay plenty for it.
    Matt Ion, Nov 13, 2006