Need help with very low signal strength and speed

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Gail, Jul 30, 2009.

  1. Gail

    Gail Guest

    Hi,

    I recently moved and am renting a room with a family in a 3 story home. My
    room is on the 3rd floor and the router and modem are on the first floor.
    The owner does not want to go through any walls with cables. I have limited
    or very low connection and have trouble getting on the internet. I have 1 or
    2 bars. When I am on it, it is very slow to move from web pages or sites. The
    speed is only 12.0 MBPS right now. I feel like I am back on dialup! I have a
    desktop with windows xp sp 2. I purchased a Belkin N+ Wireless USB Network
    Adapter. I was temporarily using a borrowed Linksys Ultra Rangemax Dual
    Band Wireless N Network Adapter that did not get any better connection. They
    have a Westell modem and a Netgear Dual Band N Router and have a package plan
    from Verizon Fios.

    Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of anything I can do to improve my
    connection since I don't have any control over the router? Would it make any
    difference if I got a more powerful adapter? Is it possible for me to have
    my own router also without having a different service? What about a range
    extender? I see good reviews for this Hawking Technology - Hi-Gain 802.11n
    Wireless-N Range Extender at Best Buy. Would this be installed in my room or
    would it have to go with the router downstairs?

    As you can see, I don't know much about this subject. In the past, I had
    Verizon DSL with a router they provided, and I had no problems.

    Can anyone help, please?

    Thanks,

    Gail

    Gail, Jul 30, 2009

  2. Gail

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Gail" <> wrote in message
    > Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of anything I can do to improve
    > my
    > connection since I don't have any control over the router?

    Talk to the owner? A bit of human engineering...

    --pa

    Pavel A., Jul 30, 2009

  3. Gail

    Gail Guest

    Uum, did that. As I said, he is not willing to do anything. Thanks anyway.

    Gail, Jul 30, 2009
  4. Gail

    Barb Bowman Guest

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...3?skuId=9174476&type=product&id=1218044521646

    get your family hosts to attach one to the router and to the coax at
    the router. attach the second one to the coax in your room.

    On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:17:02 -0700, Gail
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I recently moved and am renting a room with a family in a 3 story home. My
    >room is on the 3rd floor and the router and modem are on the first floor.
    >The owner does not want to go through any walls with cables. I have limited
    >or very low connection and have trouble getting on the internet. I have 1 or
    >2 bars. When I am on it, it is very slow to move from web pages or sites. The
    >speed is only 12.0 MBPS right now. I feel like I am back on dialup! I have a
    >desktop with windows xp sp 2. I purchased a Belkin N+ Wireless USB Network
    >Adapter. I was temporarily using a borrowed Linksys Ultra Rangemax Dual
    >Band Wireless N Network Adapter that did not get any better connection. They
    >have a Westell modem and a Netgear Dual Band N Router and have a package plan
    >from Verizon Fios.
    >
    >Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of anything I can do to improve my
    >connection since I don't have any control over the router? Would it make any
    >difference if I got a more powerful adapter? Is it possible for me to have
    >my own router also without having a different service? What about a range
    >extender? I see good reviews for this Hawking Technology - Hi-Gain 802.11n
    >Wireless-N Range Extender at Best Buy. Would this be installed in my room or
    >would it have to go with the router downstairs?
    >
    >As you can see, I don't know much about this subject. In the past, I had
    >Verizon DSL with a router they provided, and I had no problems.
    >
    >Can anyone help, please?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Gail

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

    Barb Bowman, Jul 30, 2009
  5. Gail

    Lem Guest

    Gail wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently moved and am renting a room with a family in a 3 story home. My
    > room is on the 3rd floor and the router and modem are on the first floor.
    > The owner does not want to go through any walls with cables. I have limited
    > or very low connection and have trouble getting on the internet. I have 1 or
    > 2 bars. When I am on it, it is very slow to move from web pages or sites. The
    > speed is only 12.0 MBPS right now. I feel like I am back on dialup! I have a
    > desktop with windows xp sp 2. I purchased a Belkin N+ Wireless USB Network
    > Adapter. I was temporarily using a borrowed Linksys Ultra Rangemax Dual
    > Band Wireless N Network Adapter that did not get any better connection. They
    > have a Westell modem and a Netgear Dual Band N Router and have a package plan
    > from Verizon Fios.
    >
    > Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of anything I can do to improve my
    > connection since I don't have any control over the router? Would it make any
    > difference if I got a more powerful adapter? Is it possible for me to have
    > my own router also without having a different service? What about a range
    > extender? I see good reviews for this Hawking Technology - Hi-Gain 802.11n
    > Wireless-N Range Extender at Best Buy. Would this be installed in my room or
    > would it have to go with the router downstairs?
    >
    > As you can see, I don't know much about this subject. In the past, I had
    > Verizon DSL with a router they provided, and I had no problems.
    >
    > Can anyone help, please?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gail

    As you can see almost all the proposed solutions require that the owner
    of the router do something, with the two solutions most likely to
    succeed are MoCA (Barb Bowman) and Powerline Ethernet (which is *not*
    "power over Ethernet"). Both of these require that the router owner add
    a device.

    If you don't want to involve the owner at all, you could possibly use a
    directional antenna (if you know where the router is located). The main
    problem with this is that wireless-n already uses multi-antenna
    technology, so a simple directional antenna will probably make things
    worse.

    This claims to be a directional antenna that works with wireless-n
    (http://www.wisp.net.au/directional-antenna-mimo-17hv-3x17dbi-80211bgn-p-137.html)
    but (a) it's in Australia and (b) it's expensive. Of course, in order to
    use a directional antenna, you would need to have a wireless adapter
    that is capable of accepting an external antenna. I haven't checked to
    see if either of the ones you have tried can do that.

    I'd try posting a question about "directional antenna for wireless-n" in
    alt.internet.wireless, where some folks who are really knowledgeable
    about antennas hang out. Be sure to use a "munged" email address when
    posting there to avoid future spam.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago this month:

    Lem, Jul 30, 2009
  6. Gail

    Gail Guest

    Brian,

    Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will check them out. Thanks for
    the links. I really appreciate your help.

    Gail

    Gail, Jul 31, 2009
  7. Gail

    Gail Guest

    Barb,

    Thanks alot for responding. Unfortunately, I won't be able to buy the
    adapters you referenced as I am on Social Security disability and the cost of
    two of them would be quite high for me. I get the idea, maybe I can try
    with a less expensive model? I really appreciate your help.

    Thanks,

    Gail

    Gail, Jul 31, 2009
  8. Gail

    Gail Guest

    Lem,

    I don't think the owner would care if I add a device as long as I pay for
    it. He doesn't want to run any cable through walls. Thanks for your
    suggestions and taking the time to respond.

    Gail

    Gail, Jul 31, 2009
  9. Gail

    Lem Guest

    Gail wrote:
> [...]

    >> directional antenna (if you know where the router is located). The main
    >> problem with this is that wireless-n already uses multi-antenna
    >> technology, so a simple directional antenna will probably make things
    >> worse.
    >>
    >> This claims to be a directional antenna that works with wireless-n
    >> (http://www.wisp.net.au/directional-antenna-mimo-17hv-3x17dbi-80211bgn-p-137.html)
    >> but (a) it's in Australia and (b) it's expensive. Of course, in order to
    >> use a directional antenna, you would need to have a wireless adapter
    >> that is capable of accepting an external antenna. I haven't checked to
    >> see if either of the ones you have tried can do that.
    >>
    >> I'd try posting a question about "directional antenna for wireless-n" in
    >> alt.internet.wireless, where some folks who are really knowledgeable
    >> about antennas hang out. Be sure to use a "munged" email address when

    In that case, see the "kits" on this page for around $100 - $130 (I
    haven't checked, but I assume that the kit price is equal to or lower
    than the price for 2 units, which is what you need. Some models, e.g.,
    Linksys, require *different* units at the router and at your computer)

    NETGEAR XETB1001 Up to 85Mbps Powerline Network Adapter Kit
    NETGEAR XE103G Up to 85Mbps 85Mbps Wall-Plugged Ethernet Adapter Kit
    TRENDnet TPL-302E2K Up to 200Mbps Powerline AV Fast Ethernet Adapter Kit
    NETGEAR XAVB101 Up to 200Mbps Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit
    D-Link DHP-301 Up to 200Mbps PowerLine HD Ethernet Starter Kit
    LINKSYS PLTK300 Up to 85Mbps Powerline Network Kit
    NETGEAR XEB1004-100NAS Up to 85Mbps Powerline Ethernet Switch Kit
    LINKSYS PLK300 Up to 200Mbps Powerline AV Network Kit

    Read the reviews.

    Lem, Jul 31, 2009
  10. Gail

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Gail,
    As far as I know, only Netgear and DLink have MoCA kits available at
    retail.

    However, there is a small chance that if the folks you are renting
    from have FIOS TV that they *may* already have a MoCA router. If
    yes, they may be able to talk Verizon out of another "NIM". Do you
    have the model number of the Westell router? They would have to tell
    Verizon they want to hook up another TV...

    Barb Bowman, Jul 31, 2009
  11. Gail

    Barb Bowman Guest

    If there are surge protectors or anything that does filtering on the
    circuit, there could be issues. That is the main drawback with the
    HPNA powerline products. So if this is the route taken, be sure to
    buy from a source that has a great return policy.

    Barb Bowman, Jul 31, 2009