    problem is with my photo skills (almost none), not with the camera... but
    who knows, it is a cheap camera after all.

    Thanks.

    kodakuser, Dec 30, 2003

  2. You have given yourself a really difficult job. If you can do the cats,
    you can do just about anything. This is difficult with traditional cameras,
    more so with most digitals.

    Due to the construction of their eyes red eye is very bad in cats. Even
    some of the usual tricks don't work well. I suggest getting as much
    non-flash light as possible in the area. Then learn to use the red eye
    reduction feature of your software.

    Unless you have studio quality lighting, you will not have enough room
    light to do the job. If you can get the room lighting high enough you can
    dispense with the flash, which is the main cause of the red eye.

    If you want to spend a little money, you can get off camera flashes that
    will help a lot. You will need at least two or three good ones.

    The on camera flash results in lots of red eye and not very pleasant
    lighting. Also some animals and people will become flash shy. However in
    most cases, that is what you are stuck with.

    I suggest you don't use the built in red eye reduction feature, if your
    camera has it. It causes additional delay between the time you press the
    button and when the photo is taken. With cats that means they will be in
    the next room by the time the flash really goes off.

    Most of today's digital cameras suffer a serious delay between the time
    you press the shutter and when the camera actually takes the exposure. This
    is a real bother in action shots. (can you talk you cats into sleeping?)
    Sometimes switching to manual focus (if available on your camera) then
    limiting yourself to that distance can help.

    Digital is a challenge in this situation and a fast focus, short shutter
    delay and a large powerful off camera flash is the way to go, if you can
    afford it.

    Good Luck.

    BTW check out a couple of photos of my two cats at:

    http://home.columbus.rr.com/sligo/

    Yes you see red eye in the one with fill in flash and yes they were
    sleeping. Not my best work, but I have just not made the time to set things
    up and do it right. Soon maybe.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    "kodakuser" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm not getting good photos with my Kodak DX4530. I'm shooting indoor at
    > night, with lights and flash on. I'm also trying to take photos of cats

    who
    > can't stop moving :) I am using a tripod too. I get red eyes, blue eyes,
    > green eyes, etc... especially a big problem with the cats. I tried using

    the

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 30, 2003

  3. kodakuser

    Ron Hunter Guest

    kodakuser wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm not getting good photos with my Kodak DX4530. I'm shooting indoor at
    > night, with lights and flash on. I'm also trying to take photos of cats who
    > can't stop moving :) I am using a tripod too. I get red eyes, blue eyes,
    > green eyes, etc... especially a big problem with the cats. I tried using the
    > red eye reduction flash. I sometimes also get some ghosting, even while
    > using the tripod. Any tips will be much appreciated. I would think the
    > problem is with my photo skills (almost none), not with the camera... but
    > who knows, it is a cheap camera after all.
    >
    > Thanks.

    It is not the fault of the camera, but rather the physical makeup of the
    cats' eyes. The best solution is to avoid flash whenever possible.
    Getting action photos of animals and children with a digital camera is
    not easy.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 30, 2003