need help with Sun's Star Office

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by kim shapiro, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. kim shapiro

    kim shapiro Guest

    need help with Sun's Star Office

    I bought my 9 year daughter a Compaq Windows XP based PC but it did
    not come with MS Word etc.

    I am wondering if StarOffice will work well (like MS windows) on her
    PC. StarOffice is a lot less than MS Word.

    I am NOT technical so if it is going to be a lot of trouble for
    someone like pls let me know. is it easy to install and run ?

    Is there a place where I can download it for FREE or a small price.

    If not, Maybe i could find a version of it on eBay.

    Can anyone pls let me know.

    Thanks
    Kim
    kim shapiro, Nov 30, 2004

  2. kim shapiro

    EMB Guest

    kim shapiro wrote:
    > need help with Sun's Star Office

    1. Use openoffice

    http://www.openoffice.org/

    2. Ask your questions in a newsgroup relevant to your country.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 30, 2004

  3. kim shapiro

    impossible Guest

    "kim shapiro" <> wrote in message
    > need help with Sun's Star Office
    >
    > I bought my 9 year daughter a Compaq Windows XP based PC but it did
    > not come with MS Word etc.
    >
    > I am wondering if StarOffice will work well (like MS windows) on her
    > PC. StarOffice is a lot less than MS Word.
    >
    > I am NOT technical so if it is going to be a lot of trouble for
    > someone like pls let me know. is it easy to install and run ?
    >
    > Is there a place where I can download it for FREE or a small price.
    >
    > If not, Maybe i could find a version of it on eBay.
    >
    > Can anyone pls let me know.

    You can download Star Office 7 here for $US39.95:
    http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/get/download.html

    Documentation for installing and using the program is here:
    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/so7en

    You'll have to judge for yourself whether this fits your needs. Here's one
    (favorable) review that may help::
    http://www.thejemreport.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=95
    impossible, Nov 30, 2004
  4. kim shapiro

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:57:30 -0800, kim shapiro wrote:

    > need help with Sun's Star Office

    Thought: Have you thought about the cousin, Open Office?

    > I bought my 9 year daughter a Compaq Windows XP based PC but it did
    > not come with MS Word etc.

    Great you are ahead.

    > I am wondering if StarOffice will work well (like MS windows) on her
    > PC. StarOffice is a lot less than MS Word.

    Open Office is free as in speech, and appears on mag cover disks, or

    http://www.openoffice.org/

    Aside looks as if version two is about to be hatched.

    Does it work well? Of course it does.

    Ms Penguin has waddled across on her way to go fishing and has muttered,
    only want a word processor? Try Abiword. Free for the download.

    http://www.abisource.com/download/

    > I am NOT technical so if it is going to be a lot of trouble for
    > someone like pls let me know. is it easy to install and run ?

    Can you install a windows programme?

    If you have trouble, just come back here with the problem.

    > Is there a place where I can download it for FREE or a small price.

    Gentle people the Open Source Software, read free programmes abound.

    http://www.sourceforge.net gives you an example of the things to come.
    Gordon, Nov 30, 2004
  5. kim shapiro

    Peter Guest

    kim shapiro wrote:
    > I am wondering if StarOffice will work well (like MS windows) on her
    > PC. StarOffice is a lot less than MS Word.

    OpenOffice is even better.
    http://www.openoffice.org.nz/

    You can download for free, or buy it on CD, or sometimes it comes on
    magazine cover CDs. Current version is 1.1.3.

    You can buy through a place like these ...
    www.openoffice.org.nz
    www.linuxshop.co.nz
    or Dick Smith stores sometimes have it.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Nov 30, 2004
  6. kim shapiro

    steve Guest

    kim shapiro wrote:

    > need help with Sun's Star Office
    >
    > I bought my 9 year daughter a Compaq Windows XP based PC but it did
    > not come with MS Word etc.
    >
    > I am wondering if StarOffice will work well (like MS windows) on her
    > PC. StarOffice is a lot less than MS Word.
    >
    > I am NOT technical so if it is going to be a lot of trouble for
    > someone like pls let me know. is it easy to install and run ?
    >
    > Is there a place where I can download it for FREE or a small price.
    >
    > If not, Maybe i could find a version of it on eBay.
    >
    > Can anyone pls let me know.
    >

    > Thanks
    > Kim

    Star Office from Sun is a super-set of the free Open Office suite.

    Sun offer you all that Open Office has, plus some extra stuff that isn't
    given away.

    I use Open Office Writer every day and it does everything I want it to do.
    Yes, there can be font issues if you're running it on Linux and the same
    font used in an MS Word document isn't also installed on the Linux system.
    Linux users have to install MS True Type fonts separately, as they are
    proprietary software.....and not 'free' (as in freedom).

    But running it on a Windows system should see you avoid those sort of
    platform issues.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home
    steve, Nov 30, 2004
  7. kim shapiro

    thing Guest

    kim shapiro wrote:
    > need help with Sun's Star Office
    >
    > I bought my 9 year daughter a Compaq Windows XP based PC but it did
    > not come with MS Word etc.
    >
    > I am wondering if StarOffice will work well (like MS windows) on her
    > PC. StarOffice is a lot less than MS Word.
    >
    > I am NOT technical so if it is going to be a lot of trouble for
    > someone like pls let me know. is it easy to install and run ?
    >
    > Is there a place where I can download it for FREE or a small price.
    >
    > If not, Maybe i could find a version of it on eBay.
    >
    > Can anyone pls let me know.
    >

    > Thanks
    > Kim

    It will work, but download [www.] openoffice [.org] first, that is the
    free version and should prove adequate. It should be as easy to install
    as MS word.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Nov 30, 2004