need help with sub $400 pc

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Diehard, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    Can anyone recomend a sub $400 pc with everything except monitor? It doesn't
    have to be fast and is not going to be used for games. It's for my uncle.
    Does not need a monitor either. Here's what I think it should have. Must be
    able to buy from 1 single online retailer of reputable value or Best Buy or
    something. Best Buy has one for $399 and I get a discount there, but right
    now here this newsgroup I'm asking for suggestions other then that one. It
    needs the following. Will be used only for accessing the net, itunes for
    music/ipod and that's it.

    384 or 512mb ddr ram
    onboard audio, video, firewire, lan, usb 2.0 on the motherboard
    40gb or bigger hard drive ata100/7200 rpm, preferably 60gb minimum, but not
    100% needed.
    cpu, doesn't matter so long as it's like a celry 1.5ghz or faster.
    Case with powersupply for everything. 350 watt or better. Case should be
    able to have 2 internal hard drives, 2 external 5.25 inch drives like cdrw
    then dvdrom if he wants.
    flopy drive
    cdrw drive
    no need for OS as we already have win xp.
    Diehard, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Diehard

    sno Guest

    I would look for a used one....one gig or less
    would be more then fast enough for your use....

    Ebay maybe....??

    Or someone that has one stashed in closet....
    ask your friends.....

    hope helps.....sno

    sno, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "sno" <> wrote in message news:...

    > I would look for a used one....one gig or less
    > would be more then fast enough for your use....
    >
    > Ebay maybe....??
    >
    > Or someone that has one stashed in closet....
    > ask your friends.....
    >
    > hope helps.....sno
    >
    > Diehard wrote:
    > >
    > > Can anyone recomend a sub $400 pc with everything except monitor? It

    doesn't
    > > have to be fast and is not going to be used for games. It's for my

    uncle.
    > > Does not need a monitor either. Here's what I think it should have. Must

    be
    > > able to buy from 1 single online retailer of reputable value or Best Buy

    or
    > > something. Best Buy has one for $399 and I get a discount there, but

    right
    > > now here this newsgroup I'm asking for suggestions other then that one.

    It
    > > needs the following. Will be used only for accessing the net, itunes for
    > > music/ipod and that's it.
    > >
    > > 384 or 512mb ddr ram
    > > onboard audio, video, firewire, lan, usb 2.0 on the motherboard
    > > 40gb or bigger hard drive ata100/7200 rpm, preferably 60gb minimum, but

    not
    > > 100% needed.
    > > cpu, doesn't matter so long as it's like a celry 1.5ghz or faster.
    > > Case with powersupply for everything. 350 watt or better. Case should be
    > > able to have 2 internal hard drives, 2 external 5.25 inch drives like

    cdrw
    > > then dvdrom if he wants.
    > > flopy drive
    > > cdrw drive
    > > no need for OS as we already have win xp.

    never buy from ebay, my uncle wouldn't do that.

    anyway he dont care anymore, doesn't want one so i said don't ever talk to
    me about it again untill yer actually ready to buy. cuis i waste to much
    time looking and getting info for him on computers and home theater yet he
    doesnt buy for 6 months later. it's a joke. so i told him i won't help
    anymore till hes ready to actually buy something cus i don't wanna waste the
    time on stuff.
    Diehard, Dec 4, 2003
  4. Diehard wrote:
    > "sno" <> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>I would look for a used one....one gig or less
    >>would be more then fast enough for your use....
    >>
    >>Ebay maybe....??
    >>
    >>Or someone that has one stashed in closet....
    >>ask your friends.....
    >>
    >>hope helps.....sno
    >>
    >>Diehard wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can anyone recomend a sub $400 pc with everything except monitor? It

    > doesn't
    >
    >>>have to be fast and is not going to be used for games. It's for my

    > uncle.
    >
    >>>Does not need a monitor either. Here's what I think it should have. Must

    > be
    >
    >>>able to buy from 1 single online retailer of reputable value or Best Buy

    > or
    >
    >>>something. Best Buy has one for $399 and I get a discount there, but

    > right
    >
    >>>now here this newsgroup I'm asking for suggestions other then that one.

    > It
    >
    >>>needs the following. Will be used only for accessing the net, itunes for
    >>>music/ipod and that's it.
    >>>
    >>>384 or 512mb ddr ram
    >>>onboard audio, video, firewire, lan, usb 2.0 on the motherboard
    >>>40gb or bigger hard drive ata100/7200 rpm, preferably 60gb minimum, but

    > not
    >
    >>>100% needed.
    >>>cpu, doesn't matter so long as it's like a celry 1.5ghz or faster.
    >>>Case with powersupply for everything. 350 watt or better. Case should be
    >>>able to have 2 internal hard drives, 2 external 5.25 inch drives like

    > cdrw
    >
    >>>then dvdrom if he wants.
    >>>flopy drive
    >>>cdrw drive
    >>>no need for OS as we already have win xp.

    > never buy from ebay, my uncle wouldn't do that.
    >
    > anyway he dont care anymore, doesn't want one so i said don't ever talk to
    > me about it again untill yer actually ready to buy. cuis i waste to much
    > time looking and getting info for him on computers and home theater yet he
    > doesnt buy for 6 months later. it's a joke. so i told him i won't help
    > anymore till hes ready to actually buy something cus i don't wanna waste the
    > time on stuff.

    I have the same problem with one of my customers. The pace of change is
    such that there's no guarantee that the systems I recommend today will
    still be available tomorrow-and even if they are available there's no
    guarantee either that the price will be the same or that they'll still
    be the best value for the money. IOW, I tell them up front that by not
    acting on my recommendation right away they render that recommendation
    worthless. Of course I charge them for the recommendation which makes a
    difference-I don't need to ask them not to waste my time.
    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 4, 2003
  5. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Calvin Crumrine wrote:
    > Diehard wrote:
    >> "sno" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I would look for a used one....one gig or less
    >>> would be more then fast enough for your use....
    >>>
    >>> Ebay maybe....??
    >>>
    >>> Or someone that has one stashed in closet....
    >>> ask your friends.....
    >>>
    >>> hope helps.....sno

    >> doesn't

    >> uncle.

    >> be

    >> or

    >> right

    >> It

    >> not

    >> cdrw

    >> never buy from ebay, my uncle wouldn't do that.
    >>
    >> anyway he dont care anymore, doesn't want one so i said don't ever
    >> talk to me about it again untill yer actually ready to buy. cuis i
    >> waste to much time looking and getting info for him on computers and
    >> home theater yet he doesnt buy for 6 months later. it's a joke. so i
    >> told him i won't help anymore till hes ready to actually buy
    >> something cus i don't wanna waste the time on stuff.
    >>

    > I have the same problem with one of my customers. The pace of change
    > is such that there's no guarantee that the systems I recommend today
    > will still be available tomorrow-and even if they are available
    > there's no guarantee either that the price will be the same or that
    > they'll still be the best value for the money. IOW, I tell them up
    > front that by not acting on my recommendation right away they render
    > that recommendation worthless. Of course I charge them for the
    > recommendation which makes a difference-I don't need to ask them not
    > to waste my time.

    Well here you go anyways, this tells you the perfect set up for a budget
    PC, though the prices are in Pounds. If you have a system builder in
    your area, give him these specs, and see what the price comes too.

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13042

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Dec 4, 2003
  6. Diehard

    JK Guest

    You will need to spend more for what you want. It will probably cost
    at least $600 for something decent. Most PCs under around $600
    don't have a 7200 rpm hard drive, don't have firewire, may not have
    USB2, have a power supply under 300 watts, come with only 256
    meg of ram. Many don't come with a CDRW drive.

    JK, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Diehard

    Michael-NC Guest

    Not true. I just priced a "budget system for a kid down the block who wants
    to play some PC games and I came up with 320 for the system, minus the hard
    drive and optical drive. Add a hundred fifty for these and you have a decent
    system for 470.00 Parts list below.

    Parts list from www.newegg.com

    AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 266 FSB, 256K Cache Processor -

    Retail$69.00 Free FedEx Saver Shipping

    ECS Motherboard Chipset SiS 735 for AMD Processors, Model "K7S5A PRO"

    Price: $38.00 Free FedEx Saver Shipping

    EVGA GeForce FX5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 64-bit, TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model
    "128-A8-N303-LX" -RETAIL

    Price: $63.00 Free FedEx Saver Shipping

    Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-2100

    Model# CT6464Z265.8T

    Price: $65.00 Free FedEx Saver Shipping

    Raidmax Model 208(BEIGE) 10-bay Case Retail.

    Model# 208

    Item # N82E16811156011

    Price: $19.00

    FedEx Saver Shipping $15.00

    ENERMAX EG365P-VE(FM). 350W Power supply for AMD K7 & Pentium4

    Price: $44.99 Special FedEx Saver Shipping $6.00

    Total with shipping= 319.99

    Michael-NC, Dec 21, 2003
  8. Diehard

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:05:10 GMT, "Michael-NC"
    <> wrote:

    >Not true. I just priced a "budget system for a kid down the block who wants
    >to play some PC games and I came up with 320 for the system, minus the hard
    >drive and optical drive. Add a hundred fifty for these and you have a decent
    >system for 470.00 Parts list below.
    >
    >Parts list from www.newegg.com

    Won't he need an OS in order to run those games? lol

    BTW...

    Wal-Mart has a system...with drive, burner, 17-in monitor AND
    operating system...for about $459. You can get cheaper even...if you
    wait for rebates to come back.

    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Dec 22, 2003
  9. Diehard

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Trent©" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:05:10 GMT, "Michael-NC"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Not true. I just priced a "budget system for a kid down the block who

    wants
    > >to play some PC games and I came up with 320 for the system, minus the

    hard
    > >drive and optical drive. Add a hundred fifty for these and you have a

    decent
    > >system for 470.00 Parts list below.
    > >
    > >Parts list from www.newegg.com

    > Won't he need an OS in order to run those games? lol

    Sure will, take your pick...
    www.overnet.com

    Michael-NC, Dec 23, 2003