Need help with sharing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bill, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Please review and try and help me:

    One PC host Windows XP....Internet connection is DSL
    Laptop PC with wireless adapter also on Win XP
    Linksys wireless router

    Connected ethernet cable to back of linksys
    Ran cable from Linksys into PC host ethernet jack
    Turned on wireless on laptop and ran through install.
    Internet on both computers connecting fine.

    Now here is the problem:

    Ran setup wizard on both computers for home office
    Turned on file and printer sharing.
    On the laptop under add printer I cannot pull up any printer from the host
    to share..
    The laptop under network workgroups shows the two computers but without
    resources to share.
    The PC host does not show any work group computers...

    What could I have missed in the setup?

    Really appreciate any help

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 30, 2004

  2. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Got it all working . saw a post below with a link to Carey Holzmans
    checklist and went though it and everything works. So far :)
    It would seem the main culprit was SP2 which was not on the host PC but was
    on the laptop. So I bit the bullet and installed SP2 and right after boot up
    the workgroups appeared.

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 30, 2004

  3. Good to know!

    Please sign my guestbook at www.careyholzman.com. The link is in the lower
    left corner of the page. Thanks!

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Dec 30, 2004
  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Yes Carey I signed it thanks.

    Maybe you could answer another question for me.

    Is it possible to share a winfax print driver and the adobe printer driver
    the same way I can share and print to a regular deskjet? I already did a
    test print to the desk jet but the others seems a bit iffy :)

    Thanks again
    William

    Bill, Dec 30, 2004
  5. I've never tried that before... give it a shot and let me know.

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Dec 30, 2004