    pictures that I have taken have been great.What settings would help me
    get better pictures? The camera has alot of adjustments but I don't
    know where to start.

    mark, Apr 8, 2004

  2. mark

    Ken Davey Guest

    mark wrote:
    > I live at a beach with white sand and it is very bright. I just bought
    > a casio ex-z40 digital camera and the beach pictures are pretty washed
    > out if that is the correct term. Not much contrast or color. The other
    > pictures that I have taken have been great.What settings would help me
    > get better pictures? The camera has alot of adjustments but I don't
    > know where to start.

    Start by reading the user manual - it should explain how to set exposures
    for various situations.
    If this doesn't answer your question go to
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/ex-z40.html
    If the answer isn't there it isn't anywhere.
    Regards.
    Ken.

    --
    http://www.rupert.net/~solar
    Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

    Ken Davey, Apr 9, 2004

  3. On 8 Apr 2004 15:02:59 -0700, (mark) wrote:

    >I live at a beach with white sand and it is very bright. I just bought
    >a casio ex-z40 digital camera and the beach pictures are pretty washed
    >out if that is the correct term. Not much contrast or color. The other
    >pictures that I have taken have been great.What settings would help me
    >get better pictures? The camera has alot of adjustments but I don't
    >know where to start.

    I dont know the camera, but asuming you can set a manual white balance
    use a grey card and take a reading/set white balance...

    Then re-photograph the sceen. The problem is, as far as I can work
    out, that for a camera to auto-white balance it has to find some mid
    grey's or mid-tone colours somewhere in the photo, it then uses this
    to see if there is a predominant colour wash to the scene... if it
    does it can base its auto white balance on the general colour of the
    scene, if the camera sees blues it asumes one thing, yellows another.

    Or if you dont mind foot prints in the sand, get someone to stand in
    the picture, half press the shutter, get them to walk away, then fully
    depress the shutter, assuming that the camera doesnt have a focus
    system that trys to continually track focus right up to the point of
    full press.

    --
    Jonathan Wilson.
    www.somethingerotic.com