need help with RF modulator and VHS dubbing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Deb, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Deb

    Deb Guest

    I want to copy my VHS kid movie to a DVD to watch it upstairs on our DVD
    player. This has become quite a task. From this newsgroup I learned about
    the macrovision problem and that is why it is not letting me dub.
    I get the "copyright protected, dubbing restricted" or something to that
    effect.

    I tried the 30 dollar RF modulator from Radio Shack, but it doenst seem to
    work.

    I am going from VCR (composite cables I think - left and right audio, video)
    and going to RF modulator composite, then from modulators SVideo to digi
    camcorder svideo, then from camcorder to PC via firewire.

    Nothing is happening - No Signal.
    How can I get around this?

    Thanks a bunch
    Deb
    Deb, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Deb

    Ashley Guy Guest

    It could be that the RF modulator is also blocking the Macrovision source.
    Have you tried feediing any other signal through?

    --

    Ashley Guy
    Guy Graphics - DV Products and Support
    Ashley Guy, Oct 27, 2003

  3. Deb

    Kev Richards Guest

    not sure about this but wouldnt you need to come of the RF output of the
    modulator to get round the macrovision
    i think also if your tv has comp vid out you could feed the TV from the
    video via its RF signal ie arial cable
    then feed the camcorder from the vid out from the tv
    or buy the DVD..........this would seem cheaper and the quality would be
    better

    Kev Richards, Oct 27, 2003
  4. Deb

    Will Dormann Guest

    Deb wrote:

    > I want to copy my VHS kid movie to a DVD to watch it upstairs on our DVD
    > player. This has become quite a task. From this newsgroup I learned about
    > the macrovision problem and that is why it is not letting me dub.
    > I get the "copyright protected, dubbing restricted" or something to that
    > effect.

    Why don't you look at the answers to the first time you posted this
    question?

    -WD
    Will Dormann, Oct 27, 2003
  5. Deb

    Deb Guest

    I tried the suggestions: buying the modulator, connecting as directed, but
    still nothing. Do I need a tv for tihs? I just want to get the video off
    the vcr. I am a woman and don't totally understand all this, LOL. I just
    know computers.

    Thanks again
    Deb

    Deb, Oct 27, 2003
  6. Deb

    Will Dormann Guest

    Deb wrote:

    > I tried the suggestions: buying the modulator, connecting as directed, but
    > still nothing. Do I need a tv for tihs? I just want to get the video off
    > the vcr. I am a woman and don't totally understand all this, LOL. I just
    > know computers.

    As I said before, you can use a time base corrector to remove the
    macrovision. Or have somebody else do the capture who has hardware
    that will ignore the macrovision.

    -WD
    Will Dormann, Oct 27, 2003
  7. Deb

    GMAN Guest

    In article <mAfnb.22405$>, "Deb" <> wrote:
    >I tried the suggestions: buying the modulator, connecting as directed, but
    >still nothing. Do I need a tv for tihs? I just want to get the video off
    >the vcr. I am a woman and don't totally understand all this, LOL. I just
    >know computers.
    >
    >Thanks again
    >Deb

    www.videoguys.com/sima.htm

    SIMA SCC $99
    GMAN, Oct 28, 2003
  8. Deb

    Guest

    1) Macrovision prevents you from copying DVDs onto videotape. It does
    NOT prevent you from copying videotape onto DVDs because your home
    movies do NOT contain Macrovision.

    Can I assume that you are using a DVD burner? Without one, you cannot
    make a DVD.

    2) RF modulators convert composite video to RF, or they convert S-video
    to RF. They do NOT convert composite video to S-video. If your
    modulator has an S-video jack, it is for ACCEPTING S-video. Nothing
    comes *out* of it. You do not need an RF modulator.

    3) Are you sure that the S-video jack on your camcorder is intended to
    ACCEPT video for the purpose of converting it to digital, and that it
    isn't just an output? Check to see whether the camcorder has a
    composite-video input (not output) intended to accept video for the
    purpose of converting it to digital.

    4) If your camcorder is not capable of converting external-source
    composite video to digital, you can buy an analog-video/digital
    conversion cable to plug into your PC's USB port. It is manufactured by
    Dazzle.
    , Oct 28, 2003
  9. Deb

    Jon Guest

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:26:31 GMT, "Deb" <> wrote:

    >I want to copy my VHS kid movie to a DVD to watch it upstairs on our DVD
    >player. This has become quite a task. From this newsgroup I learned about
    >the macrovision problem and that is why it is not letting me dub.
    >I get the "copyright protected, dubbing restricted" or something to that
    >effect.
    >
    >I tried the 30 dollar RF modulator from Radio Shack, but it doenst seem to
    >work.
    >
    >I am going from VCR (composite cables I think - left and right audio, video)
    >and going to RF modulator composite, then from modulators SVideo to digi
    >camcorder svideo, then from camcorder to PC via firewire.
    >
    >Nothing is happening - No Signal.
    >How can I get around this?
    >
    >Thanks a bunch
    >Deb

    Deb, even being a woman, surely your time is worth SOMETHING.. ;^)

    Wouldn't you have done better to have just gone and just purchased
    another copy of this video rather than spend all the time and effort
    trying to copy it yourself?
    Jon, Nov 4, 2003
  10. "Jon" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:26:31 GMT, "Deb" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I want to copy my VHS kid movie to a DVD to watch it upstairs on our DVD
    > >player. This has become quite a task. From this newsgroup I learned

    about
    > >the macrovision problem and that is why it is not letting me dub.
    > >I get the "copyright protected, dubbing restricted" or something to that
    > >effect.
    > >
    > >I tried the 30 dollar RF modulator from Radio Shack, but it doenst seem

    > >work.
    > >
    > >I am going from VCR (composite cables I think - left and right audio,

    video)
    > >and going to RF modulator composite, then from modulators SVideo to digi
    > >camcorder svideo, then from camcorder to PC via firewire.
    > >
    > >Nothing is happening - No Signal.
    > >How can I get around this?
    > >
    > >Thanks a bunch
    > >Deb
    > >

    > Deb, even being a woman, surely your time is worth SOMETHING.. ;^)
    >
    > Wouldn't you have done better to have just gone and just purchased
    > another copy of this video rather than spend all the time and effort
    > trying to copy it yourself?

    Besides the legalities, modulating a Macrovision protected signal onto
    RF does not remove the Macrovision.
    Richard Crowley, Nov 4, 2003