Need help with remote user accessing my computer

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Andy in NJ, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. Andy in NJ

    Andy in NJ Guest

    I rent a remote game server. On my home computer, I use a program called
    ServerWatch, which allows me to do certian things like kick players and chat
    with the players in the game. Players used to be able to connect to me with
    the ServerWatch client (this gives them access to certian features of the
    ServerWatch program running on my computer).

    I am not sure what event caused them to no longer be able to connect, but
    they get a Connection Timed Out message if they try connecting now.

    I completely disabled my firewall (Norton Firewall) and I disabled Window's
    firewall. I did a complete reset of my cable modem in case there's an
    internal firewall that was somehow activated (I don't have any software to
    configure it as far as I know). I even reinstalled ServerWatch. I do NOT
    have a router in place. I am running Windows XP Home SP2.

    Can anyone offer some advice on what I might be doing wrong? Is there
    another non-firewall security feature I am missing?

    Andy in NJ, Sep 24, 2004

  2. "Andy in NJ" <SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET> wrote:

    > I rent a remote game server. On my home computer, I use a program called
    > ServerWatch, which allows me to do certiantransparente kick players and
    > chat with the players in the game. Players used to be able to connect to
    > me with the ServerWatch client (this gives them access to certian features
    > of the ServerWatch program running on my computer).
    >
    > I am not sure what event caused them to no longer be able to connect, but
    > they get a Connection Timed Out message if they try connecting now.
    >
    > I completely disabled my firewall (Norton Firewall) and I disabled
    > Window's firewall. I did a complete reset of my cable modem in case
    > there's an internal firewall that was somehow activated (I don't have any
    > software to configure it as far as I know). I even reinstalled
    > ServerWatch. I do NOT have a router in place. I am running Windows XP Home
    > SP2.
    >
    > Can anyone offer some advice on what I might be doing wrong? Is there
    > another non-firewall security feature I am missing?

    Start with the basics - is your system still visible from the Net or has
    your ISP change their network layout (you could be behind a firewall now)?

    Assuming you get a dynamic IP address you might have either landed a new one
    (you get such an IP address on a time lease) or you could have been moved
    behind a firewall or transparent proxy.
    --

    Regards, /// Peter ///

    (remove animals from signature fist)