need help with physical layout - D-Link products

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mike Webb, Feb 8, 2008.

  1. Mike Webb

    Mike Webb Guest

    I sent the below to D-Link, but they side-stepped and asked me to call
    Sales. So I thought I'd ask here.

    ==============
    I need advice on how to properly extend my WLAN to another building.

    I have a DI-525 wireless router in our main building, wired to a DES-1024
    unmanaged switch. One of the DWL-2200AP's (wireless access points) has an
    external, omni-directional antenna on our roof to broadcast to our other
    buildings. In one of those I need to put a minimum of 3 DWL-2200AP's. I
    already have a directional antenna pointed at the main building's antenna,
    with the cable for it run into that building's attic.

    The DI-525 is setup as the DHCP server. I want all AP's on the same SSID,
    channel, and WPA2 Personal with 'pass-phrase'.

    My question is: What device do I need to serve as the "hub" for the 3 AP's?
    Or can I connect a DWL-2200AP to that antenna, run a cable from it to a hub
    or unmanaged switch and then connect the other two AP's to that switch?

    --
    Mike Webb
    Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    Mike Webb, Feb 8, 2008

  2. Hi
    A regular switch would do.
    I do not know the amount of load and stability that you need over this
    Network. The DWL-2200APs are good devices that can be used in a
    semiprofessional environment, the DI-525 is a low end device that might Not
    do an adequate job.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 8, 2008

  3. Mike Webb