Need HELP with network

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ronald Murray, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. Hello
    I installed two new jacks using Cat5 cable. The previous owner had installed
    a patch box IBDN Power Sum. There are four old jacks in the house upstairs ,
    only one works , when I plug in the modem cable to outlet (#7) on the patch
    box.. I hooked up the new cables according to the color code previously used
    , by using the push down connectors provided. I do not have internet access.
    My question is , Is this patch box for connection purposes only? Can I
    remove these push down connectors & just wire them together & put a marrette
    on them?
    The patch box has 12 outlets.Which one is for the incoming cable from the
    modem?. Most are jumpered together with a 2 wire jumper cable similar to a
    telephone cable.
    All the jacks are wired into the box via these push down connectors.
    Can I disconnect these & put RJ45 connectors on them & just plug them in.
    The only jacks left open because of all the jumpers are #1 & #7 if they are
    numbered from left to right.
    12 is jumpered to 6
    11 to 5
    10 to 4
    9 to 3
    8 to 2
    I've tested the new cables. They are fine. I've printed off the hook-up for
    the jacks that accept the RJ45 connectors , so I'm confident they are wired
    correctly.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ron
    Ronald Murray, Jun 3, 2004