need help with my duel boot 64 and 32

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Neal, Jan 28, 2006.

  1. Neal

    Neal Guest

    I installed 32bit the other night on the same HD just a different partion to
    test some software that is causing problems in 64. I did the install of 32
    for an experament. After did the install I could not boot to 64bit with out
    having the CD in the drive. This is the error I get when I select the 64 bit
    version.

    Windows Could not Start because the following file is missing or corrupt
    <windows root>\system 32\hal.dll
    Please re-install a copy of this above file

    This is my 64bit boot file it was not even effected with the 32 install.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
    Edition" /fastdetect/NoExecute=Optin

    This was my 32bit before I tried to edit it.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
    Edition"

    I tried to edit it with out any luck.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
    Edition" /fastdetect/NoExecute=Optin

    Thanks for any help on this. I know I am missing something that is very
    simple I am just missing it.
    Neal, Jan 28, 2006

  2. Its time to read:
    Dual or Multi-Booting including Windows XP Professional x64 Edition by
    Charlie Russel
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/11/21/76180.aspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jan 28, 2006

  3. Ah, yes, it WAS affected by the 32-bit install. See my blog post on this.
    Andre has already pointed you to it. You'll always have problems if you
    don't do them in the correct order, but the problems are fixable.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 28, 2006
  4. Neal

    John Barnes Guest

    If it is not working with Charlie's write-up, the boot.ini from your 32-bit
    install before editing should be on the x64 partition. Then make sure you
    have the 64-bit partition designated active in Disk Management

    John Barnes, Jan 28, 2006
  5. Neal

    Neal Guest

    Ok I am getting something very strang. My drive letters are different when
    in DOS, but I think 64 is showing on the D drive witch is my C drive in
    windows. Because I also have a E drive that I think is the I drive for 32.

    I am at the D:windows prompt and I type in Fixboot and it works fine. So I
    type in D:windows>bootcfg/rebuild and it is stating to me that this is not a
    correct comand. So I just type in bootcfg and it show me what options I
    have in comands but I can not get any of them work.

    I do have a question though on the copying "ntdetect.com" and "ntldr" from
    the \i386 directory of your x64 CD to the root of your boot drive (C:) and
    then rebooting. To copy the file where is the root file? Or am I over
    reading this and I just have to put it in the C: or is it on the C:\widows
    path?

    Sorry I know this is a very simple fix but my mind is just drawing a blank.
    Neal, Jan 28, 2006
  6. Neal

    John Barnes Guest

    FWIW your situation is different than the one written up by Darrell for a
    specific two drive install and mostly copied by Charlie into his blog. You
    have both systems on two partitions on the same drive. You apparently
    designated the x32 partition as active when you created it and installed to
    it so your new boot.ini and ntldr and ntdetect.com files were written there.
    Since the x64 partition was not written over, you should not need to do
    anything but redesignate the x64 partition as active and put the boot.ini
    file (before editing) onto the active (x64) partition. Good luck.

    John Barnes, Jan 28, 2006
  7. Neal

    Neal Guest

    I hate to say it but the C: is showing at the active partion all ready. So
    all I sould need to do is just copy and past the the Boot file? I just want
    to make sure.
    Neal, Jan 28, 2006
  8. Neal

    Rick Guest

    The 2 boot files below are from 2 different rdisk()s. The first one is
    rdisk(1) and the second one is rdisk(0).

    If they happen to be on the same physical hard drive, then somehow the
    rdisk() got changed during the 32-bit XP installation.

    Is there more to this story than has been revealed so far?

    Rick, Jan 28, 2006
  9. Neal

    John Barnes Guest

    The original boot file you say is on the x32 drive

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
    Edition"

    is the one you need on the system drive.

    boot into your x32 system (no CD), check disk management, and on the system
    drive make sure that you have the ntldr and ntdetect.com files from the x64
    CD.
    IN system properties/advanced/startup, make sure you have the above boot.ini
    Reboot and let us know what happens. You may need to do a fixboot depending
    on the messages you get.
    Please refer to your systems by partition and OS, not drive letters as they
    may be completely different in your 3 situations
    1. booting to x32 from boot menu, 2. booting with the CD and 3.
    Designation in Recovery Console.
    The above boot file indicates that you have the x64 on partition 1 and x32
    on partition 2

    John Barnes, Jan 28, 2006
  10. Neal

    Neal Guest

    Thanks for your help I think you might have figured out my issue. By going
    by the disk and not the drive letter. I just noticed that Computer
    Management is showing 32bit on disk 1 partion 2 and 64 bit on disk 1
    partion 1 .

    Should I change my update to this?

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
    Edition" /fastdetect/NoExecute=Optin

    When I go into computer managment 64bit is showing on disk 1 partion 1 and
    32bit is showing on disk 1 partion 2.

    Neal, Jan 28, 2006
  11. Neal

    Neal Guest

    Never mind I just tried and it no luck. Now I have a selection (default).
    When I choose 64 or default my system just reboots. I think I have messed
    up the file.
    Neal, Jan 28, 2006
  12. Neal

    John Barnes Guest

    When you installed x32, the system thought you had both systems on drive 0.
    You must have another drive on your system if they are drive 1. Since you
    are booting up, I would stay the bootloader I showed in my post. Make sure
    that you have the x64 ntldr and ntdetect.com on the same drive as the
    boot.ini that you see when you boot into your x32 system in system
    properties. You said earlier that it was on the x32 system partition. Also
    you didn't say which partition shows up as the system partition. That is
    the one you should have the 2 x64 files on. If the system partition is
    partition 2, you should be able to copy them from partition 1 or you can
    drag them from the x64 CD. Personally if I did that I would put them on
    both partitions (after saving the current ones in a new folder on each
    drive) You still may have to do a fixboot depending on your messages.

    John Barnes, Jan 28, 2006
  13. An old trick - set the volume name on your various drive letters to reflect
    what its role is. Then when the letters get munged (and they DO get munged
    some times), you can tell which is which easily.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 29, 2006
  14. If you really have messed it up, I suggest you do a fresh, "repair" install
    of the 32-bit Windows, and then of the 64-bit Windows. In that order. But
    make sure you know what versions are where before you start. Though
    honestly, if I didn't have any critical data on either partition, I'd do a
    fresh clean install from scratch.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 29, 2006
  15. Neal

    Neal Guest

    I came to same idea last night and I am reinstalling everyting right now. I
    just got done with 64 and a few other thing and it is running like clock
    work. It is kind a sad when it is qicker to do a new install then try to
    get something to work when it does not want to. O well luckly with a high
    end customer PC the install go quick and easy.
    Neal, Jan 29, 2006
  16. Yes, it's not normally an option I would suggest, but it just felt right for
    your situation.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64