    Omni-Bounce but didn't get it until after this shoot).

    Also, 2nd question, what is the best lens to shoot a football game?

    Don in Georgia
    Don Smith, Sep 8, 2005

  2. Don Smith

    Eric Miller Guest

    >Here are some shots I took
    > today for an event . . .

    Where did you say they are?

    > Also, 2nd question, what is the best lens to shoot a football game?

    Canon EF 400 1:2.8L IS USM

    Eric Miller, Sep 8, 2005

  3. Don Smith <> writes:
    > I have th DREB and just bought a Canon 420EX flash to help will fill
    > lighting. My question is, why don't I get more flash power with
    > certain shots? I just took an assignment (volunteer) with my
    > daughter's school (very large and sophisticated private school) to
    > help supplement their photography needs. Here are some shots I took
    > today for an event and (using all automatic) don't think I'm doing
    > somethng right to get more flash.

    Attachements doesn't work on Usenet. You need to put them on the
    web and include a link (URL) in your message.

    Also, tell us a bit more: Ambient lighting, direct flash or bounce,
    what aperture did the camera select?

    > (today I bought a Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce but didn't get it until after
    > this shoot).

    If, as I suspect, the problem is inadequate power - the Sto-Fen may
    make it worse.
    Gisle Hannemyr, Sep 8, 2005
  4. Don Smith

    Colin D Guest

    Don Smith wrote:

    > I have th DREB and just bought a Canon 420EX flash to help will fill
    > lighting. My question is, why don't I get more flash power with
    > certain shots? I just took an assignment (volunteer) with my
    > daughter's school (very large and sophisticated private school) to
    > help supplement their photography needs. Here are some shots I took
    > today for an event and (using all automatic) don't think I'm doing
    > somethng right to get more flash. (today I bought a Sto-Fen
    > Omni-Bounce but didn't get it until after this shoot).
    >
    > Also, 2nd question, what is the best lens to shoot a football game?
    >
    > Don in Georgia

    Where are the shots, Don?

    I have a d-reb and the 420EX as well.

    Colin D.
    Colin D, Sep 8, 2005
  5. Don Smith

    [BnH] Guest

    Without seeing your image ...

    "Don Smith" <> wrote in message
    >I have th DREB and just bought a Canon 420EX flash to help will fill
    > lighting. My question is, why don't I get more flash power with
    > certain shots?

    <--
    1. maybe the object is bright, while BG is dark , hence your camera metering
    tell your flash [just shoot at 1/x power]
    2. maybe your flash GN is not enough to cover the distance.

    I just took an assignment (volunteer) with my
    > daughter's school (very large and sophisticated private school) to
    > help supplement their photography needs. Here are some shots I took
    > today for an event and (using all automatic) don't think I'm doing
    > somethng right to get more flash. (today I bought a Sto-Fen
    > Omni-Bounce but didn't get it until after this shoot).
    >
    > Also, 2nd question, what is the best lens to shoot a football game?

    <-- as other poster said EF 400 /2.8 is good, although MAYBE you can survive
    with a 100-400 L :)

    [BnH], Sep 9, 2005
  6. Don Smith

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

    > Attachements doesn't work on Usenet. You need to put them on the
    > web and include a link (URL) in your message.

    They do work, but it depends on your news server and the ones
    down the line that forward it on.

    Many servers strip binary attachments from messages posted to
    text only groups.

    As Gisle says.. If you want the image to be seen by everyone,
    post a link to the image.
    Jim Townsend, Sep 9, 2005
  7. Don Smith

    Skip M Guest

    "Don Smith" <> wrote in message
    >I have th DREB and just bought a Canon 420EX flash to help will fill
    > lighting. My question is, why don't I get more flash power with
    > certain shots? I just took an assignment (volunteer) with my
    > daughter's school (very large and sophisticated private school) to
    > help supplement their photography needs. Here are some shots I took
    > today for an event and (using all automatic) don't think I'm doing
    > somethng right to get more flash. (today I bought a Sto-Fen
    > Omni-Bounce but didn't get it until after this shoot).
    >
    > Also, 2nd question, what is the best lens to shoot a football game?
    >
    > Don in Georgia

    My guess, without seeing the images, is that the lens you have isn't fast
    enough. That sounds like the result I had with my 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM,
    when I started using the 24-70 f2.8L, my ratio of useable flash shots, also
    with the 420EX, went up exponentially. That Stofen will actually cut your
    effective flash power, by as much as a full stop, depending on which one it
    is.
    As far as what lens to use for football, the longest, fastest lens you can
    lay your hands on. Most of the lenses you see on the sidelines of pro and
    college football games, and most other sporting events, for that matter, are
    400mm f2.8 lenses, in Canon's case, with IS, to boot.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Sep 9, 2005
  8. Don Smith

    Don Smith Guest

    Didn't know you could not post. Here is a link to a website with the
    photos:

    ftp://grouponeimaging.com/image1.jpg
    ftp://grouponeimaging.com/image2.jpg
    ftp://grouponeimaging.com/image3.jpg
    ftp://grouponeimaging.com/image4.jpg
    ftp://grouponeimaging.com/image5.jpg

    Don Smith, Sep 9, 2005
  9. Don Smith

    railfan Guest

    Your client does not have permission to get URL
    /url?sa=D&q=ftp://grouponeimaging.com/image2.jpg from this server.
    railfan, Sep 9, 2005
  10. Don Smith

    Guest

    [BnH] wrote:
    > "Don Smith" <> wrote in message
    > > Also, 2nd question, what is the best lens to shoot a football game?

    > <-- as other poster said EF 400 /2.8 is good, although MAYBE you can survive
    > with a 100-400 L :)

    Or 200/2.8 + 2x.
    , Sep 16, 2005