Need help with MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION during x64 install or repai

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?c21pdGNoZWxs?=, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. During a clean XP-x64 install, I'm always getting down to the last 15 minutes
    when
    the machine bluescreens.

    I put a debugger on it and this is what I get:

    STOP: 0x0000009c MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
    0x00000000 00000004
    0xfffffadf c8871240
    0x00000000 b2000000
    0x00000000 00070f0f

    with this stack trace:
    nt!KiMcheckAbort+0xf5
    PCIIDEX!BmStatus+0xc
    atapi!AtapiInterrupt+0xaa
    atapi!IdePortInterrupt+0x1e
    nt!KiInterruptDispatch+0x138
    So it seems the offending driver is pciidex.sys.

    The system is using a single 80GB PATA drive and installation is into a
    fresh 20GB partition - RAID is disabled. The motherboard is an ASUS K8N-DL,
    with two AMD Opteron CPUs & 2GB memory. It has an NVIDIA nForce4 chipset for
    storage devices. (This system has been solid with Win 2003 Server Std
    Edition.)

    Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

    --
    Stan Mitchell (in California)

    =?Utf-8?B?c21pdGNoZWxs?=, Jan 18, 2006

  2. Have you run a memory test? You don't describe your hardware so it is
    difficult to give advice.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 18, 2006

  3. Re: Need help with MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION during x64 install or r

    Hello Colin,

    I just changed the BIOS setting to enable full memory check at boot - and
    that passes. The system uses registered ECC DDR. Two 1 GB DIMMs of the same
    brand and characteristics. The mb has 6 DIMM sockets. When using two DIMM
    modules, they must be installed in two specific slots, otherwise the BIOS
    won't even start.
    (Also, I can swap the hard drive for a Win2K3 Server Std - 32bit
    conifugration and it works fine with multi-proc).

    The CPUs are Opteron OSA244AUBOX.

    One PCI Express video card. Diamond Stealth Express ATI Radeon X300se/128 MB.

    Here is a link to the ASUS motherboard page:
    http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=9&l2=39&l3=174&model=456&modelmenu=1

    What other hardware info would be helpful?

    Thanks,
    -Stan

    =?Utf-8?B?c21pdGNoZWxs?=, Jan 18, 2006
  4. Re: Need help with MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION during x64 install or r

    Hi, Stan.

    If the memory check you mention is the Boot Post, that isn't checking memory
    at all - it just counts up the memory that it can see.

    Even though it all works fine in 32bit, that's no guarantee that the 64bit
    won't exercise different parts of the memory, specifically perhaps during
    the Boot phase. Although you have to have the sticks in specific sockets one
    fast way to check for this would be to swap the sticks in those sockets.

    But, memory might not be the first thing to suspect, do you have the very
    latest BIOS? And, do you have the 64bit processor driver from AMD installed?
    Those items have 'thrown' a few here, as I recall.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 18, 2006
  5. Re: Need help with MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION during x64 install or r

    Tony, .... thanks for the suggestions.

    Yes, the "memory check" is nothing more than the BIOS post. In the "old
    days" it used to at least write/read a pattern & verify it. I'll try swapping
    the DIMMs if the BIOS update doesn't resolve the problem.

    I did flash the BIOS last year - but there is a newer one now. From the
    release notes its hard to say if it will address my problem. But that's the
    first thing I'll try.

    The only new driver I found at AMD is: "AMD Opteronâ„¢ Processor PowerNow!
    Driver for Windows XP x64 Edition". It is a power management driver and since
    it comes as an InstallShield package, it would seem that a basic install
    would have to be successful before it can be used.

    When I have some results, I'll post an update.

    Thanks,
    -Stan

    =?Utf-8?B?c21pdGNoZWxs?=, Jan 18, 2006
  6. Re: Need help with MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION during x64 install or r

    Hello Stan,
    Try opening a cmd prompt while setup is running and edit the boot.ini file.
    Try adding numproc=1 so that we only try to load one proccessor
    Also try adding /burnmemory=1024 to reduce the amount of RAM available.
    restart setup and see if you get the error again.

    Normally with this type of error message we are looking at hardware items.
    If the error still happens, then we may have to simplify the system
    What device adapters do you have in the pci slots is it only the Stealth? l
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <thread-index: AcYciXrSX/ZXVTwITk6Hk58X9QCLbQ==
    <From: =?Utf-8?B?c21pdGNoZWxs?= <>
    <Subject: Re: Need help with MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION during x64 install or r
    <Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:47:02 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
[...]
    <"Tony Sperling" wrote:
    <
    <> Hi, Stan.
    <>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jan 19, 2006
  7. Re: Need help with MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION during x64 install or r

    Darrell,
    Thanks for your suggestions - numproc, I was aware of - but not
    burnmemory=1024.

    Fortunately, I stumbled into a solution. My first installation attempts were
    with a fresh 80GB Hitachi Deskstar Model HDS728080PLAT20. I took the setup
    defaults to create a single NTFS partition of 20000MB and install into it.
    This configuration resulted in the STOP messages.

    Yesterday, the 80GB drive was used in another machine so I used a 60GB
    Hitachi Deskstar drive. This drive had two existing FAT32 partitions (for
    Win2k3 server) and I created a 3rd 21000MB FAT32 partition for the x64
    install. This time it succeeded. The only variables were the hard drive
    layout and the file system.

    The same 80GB drive has passed error-check scan in another XP-x64
    configuration. So the drive appears to be OK.

    If I had more time I'd like to narrow down the problem further.
    --
    -Stan

    =?Utf-8?B?c21pdGNoZWxs?=, Jan 19, 2006
  8. Re: Need help with MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION during x64 install or r

    I had the same problem. Athlon 64x2 on an Epox NF4 board with NVidia 6200
    while installing Server03 64 bit. I went back to the BIOS and reset it for
    "Fail safe" and was able to install. I had set some of the advanced features
    for BIOS caching and for reducing EMI on the PCIE, CPU and SATA. After
    setting to Fail safe I was able to install. Went back in and enabled most
    standard features but left the Spread Spectrum stuff disabled.

    =?Utf-8?B?QWhvY2hhdQ==?=, Mar 11, 2006