    Does this mean she will also lose everything in her Itunes and we have to
    buy all the songs again? Or put them in from CD?

    Thanks!
    Julie Bove, Jul 21, 2010

  2. Julie Bove

    Paul Guest

    Julie Bove wrote:
    > My daughter's friend put a password on my daughter's Ipod Touch. My
    > daughter has no clue what the password is and of course, neither does the
    > friend. She attempted one too many times to figure it out and now the Ipod
    > is disabled.
    >
    > I saw online how I can do something to restore it to factory settings but it
    > says she will lose everything. But I don't know exactly what this means.
    > Does this mean she will also lose everything in her Itunes and we have to
    > buy all the songs again? Or put them in from CD?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I think it means she'll lose everything currently in the iPod, but
    not everything in iTunes. iTunes is your backup copy, and you'll be
    restoring the state of the iPod with that information.

    *******

    The general theme to the answer to this problem, is to reset the iPod and
    reload it from iTunes. I haven't included a link for the procedure to
    do that, but like a lot of gadgets, it requires holding down a button
    for an extended period of time, to get the device in the right mode.

    In reading the manual, and a few web answers, I can also see reference
    to two passcodes. One is a "restrict code", which appears to disable
    individual functions of the iPod Touch. The second is a "Screen Lock"
    code, which at first seemed to be pretty innocuous (it's actually
    nasty).

    If this is the Screen Lock code which has been applied, the claim in
    one of these links, is that connecting the unit to the primary
    computer, and having iTunes connect to it, would be enough to bypass
    the screen lock. The idea is, if you're connecting the unit to the
    primary or first computer it was used with, that would be considered
    proof you're the owner. For this first attempt, you don't have to
    restore it or anything, just try to use iTunes with it. After disconnecting
    from iTunes, the screen should be open. Or, that is the claim.

    http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...pod_faq/ipod-reset-code-to-unlock-screen.html

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1350?viewlocale=en_US

    If that doesn't do it, then you'd need to reset the iPod and restore
    it from the information stored in iTunes. Now, if somehow you'd filled
    the iPod with music content, and never synchronized it ever, then
    your computer with the iTunes on it, isn't going to be of much use
    to you. And you'd lose all the music. So not synchronizing the unit
    occasionally, and using whatever backup schemes that Apple allows,
    would be silly. I hope you've synced the thing recently, in case
    something more than a mere contact with the primary computer is
    required.

    This section of the manual is most humorous. I think this is the
    one you were referring to in your post...

    "Erase data after ten failed passcode attempts:

    Choose General > Passcode Lock, enter your passcode, and tap
    Erase Data to turn it on.

    After ten failed passcode attempts, your settings are reset
    to their defaults and all your information and media on your
    iPod touch is removed by overwriting the data stored on iPod touch.

    Important: You can’t use iPod touch while data is being overwritten.
    This can take up to four hours or more, depending on the model and
    storage capacity of your iPod touch."

    Who makes this stuff up ? It sounds like something out of an
    episode of "Mission Impossible" on TV.

    Reading that section only emphasizes the importance of
    syncing with the computer and iTunes. Then, when you need to restore
    that hunk of junk, you haven't lost anything.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 21, 2010

  3. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Julie Bove wrote:
    >> My daughter's friend put a password on my daughter's Ipod Touch. My
    >> daughter has no clue what the password is and of course, neither does the
    >> friend. She attempted one too many times to figure it out and now the
    >> Ipod is disabled.
    >>
    >> I saw online how I can do something to restore it to factory settings but
    >> it says she will lose everything. But I don't know exactly what this
    >> means. Does this mean she will also lose everything in her Itunes and we
    >> have to buy all the songs again? Or put them in from CD?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > I think it means she'll lose everything currently in the iPod, but
    > not everything in iTunes. iTunes is your backup copy, and you'll be
    > restoring the state of the iPod with that information.

    Oh... Then that's not a big deal then.
    > *******
    >
    > The general theme to the answer to this problem, is to reset the iPod and
    > reload it from iTunes. I haven't included a link for the procedure to
    > do that, but like a lot of gadgets, it requires holding down a button
    > for an extended period of time, to get the device in the right mode.
    >
    > In reading the manual, and a few web answers, I can also see reference
    > to two passcodes. One is a "restrict code", which appears to disable
    > individual functions of the iPod Touch. The second is a "Screen Lock"
    > code, which at first seemed to be pretty innocuous (it's actually
    > nasty).
    >
    > If this is the Screen Lock code which has been applied, the claim in
    > one of these links, is that connecting the unit to the primary
    > computer, and having iTunes connect to it, would be enough to bypass
    > the screen lock. The idea is, if you're connecting the unit to the
    > primary or first computer it was used with, that would be considered
    > proof you're the owner. For this first attempt, you don't have to
    > restore it or anything, just try to use iTunes with it. After
    > disconnecting
    > from iTunes, the screen should be open. Or, that is the claim.
    >
    > http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...pod_faq/ipod-reset-code-to-unlock-screen.html
    >
    > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1350?viewlocale=en_US
    >
    > If that doesn't do it, then you'd need to reset the iPod and restore
    > it from the information stored in iTunes. Now, if somehow you'd filled
    > the iPod with music content, and never synchronized it ever, then
    > your computer with the iTunes on it, isn't going to be of much use
    > to you. And you'd lose all the music. So not synchronizing the unit
    > occasionally, and using whatever backup schemes that Apple allows,
    > would be silly. I hope you've synced the thing recently, in case
    > something more than a mere contact with the primary computer is
    > required.
    >
    > This section of the manual is most humorous. I think this is the
    > one you were referring to in your post...
    >
    > "Erase data after ten failed passcode attempts:
    >
    > Choose General > Passcode Lock, enter your passcode, and tap
    > Erase Data to turn it on.
    >
    > After ten failed passcode attempts, your settings are reset
    > to their defaults and all your information and media on your
    > iPod touch is removed by overwriting the data stored on iPod touch.
    >
    > Important: You can’t use iPod touch while data is being overwritten.
    > This can take up to four hours or more, depending on the model and
    > storage capacity of your iPod touch."
    >
    > Who makes this stuff up ? It sounds like something out of an
    > episode of "Mission Impossible" on TV.
    >
    > Reading that section only emphasizes the importance of
    > syncing with the computer and iTunes. Then, when you need to restore
    > that hunk of junk, you haven't lost anything.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks!
    Julie Bove, Jul 21, 2010