Need help with IPCop

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Linux Beginner, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. First of all a very big thank you to all who suggested me to try
    Mandrake and IPCOP. Well I have installed MDK and working my way through.

    I need some help with IPCOP. I installed IPCOP and got it working at
    home. It definitely well worth the effort. I then tried this at my
    friends shop. He has a small network (5PCs + 1 W2K Server with active
    directory and local DNS).

    I tried R+O+G configuration.
    IP address I tried is as follows
    R - w.x.y.z / 255.255.252.0 + Default gateway - This info is given by
    ISP (Paradise) ie permanent ip address.
    G - 192.168.0.2 / 255.255.255.0 - local network
    O - 10.0.0.1 - For www server - for future use (My idea to have mdk as
    web server for me to play with)

    In network config (on the ipcop machine), I used the following
    DNS1 - ISP's PRI DNS
    DNS2 - ISP's Sec DNS
    Default Gateway - Well, I thing this is where the problem is. First I
    tried the default gateway given by ISP which didn't work, so I tried G's
    and R's IP address with no luck. If I connect one pc streight to the
    modem with the above DNS1 + DNS2 and D/W (Provided by ISP) it connects
    to the net fine.

    From the local network I am able to ping all three (G,R and O) IP
    addresses and able to HTTP to IPCOP machine BUT unable to browse the
    net. I am using external Motoralla cable modem to connect to ISP. Modem
    is connected to R with RJ45 straight through cable - Tried crossover as
    well just to check where the problem is.

    To test my settings I connected a router in between the R and the
    External modem and used the router's IP address as default gateway -
    bingo it all worked like a charm. My question is how do I configure
    without the Router in between the R and the modem?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Ed

    Linux Beginner, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Linux Beginner

    harry Guest

    Linux Beginner wrote:
    > First of all a very big thank you to all who suggested me to try
    > Mandrake and IPCOP. Well I have installed MDK and working my way
    > through.
    >
    > I need some help with IPCOP. I installed IPCOP and got it working at
    > home. It definitely well worth the effort. I then tried this at my
    > friends shop. He has a small network (5PCs + 1 W2K Server with active
    > directory and local DNS).
    >
    > I tried R+O+G configuration.
    > IP address I tried is as follows
    > R - w.x.y.z / 255.255.252.0 + Default gateway - This info is given by
    > ISP (Paradise) ie permanent ip address.
    > G - 192.168.0.2 / 255.255.255.0 - local network
    > O - 10.0.0.1 - For www server - for future use (My idea to have mdk
    > as web server for me to play with)
    >
    > In network config (on the ipcop machine), I used the following
    > DNS1 - ISP's PRI DNS
    > DNS2 - ISP's Sec DNS
    > Default Gateway - Well, I thing this is where the problem is. First I
    > tried the default gateway given by ISP which didn't work, so I tried
    > G's and R's IP address with no luck. If I connect one pc streight to
    > the modem with the above DNS1 + DNS2 and D/W (Provided by ISP) it
    > connects to the net fine.
    >
    > From the local network I am able to ping all three (G,R and O) IP
    > addresses and able to HTTP to IPCOP machine BUT unable to browse the
    > net. I am using external Motoralla cable modem to connect to ISP.
    > Modem is connected to R with RJ45 straight through cable - Tried
    > crossover as well just to check where the problem is.
    >
    > To test my settings I connected a router in between the R and the
    > External modem and used the router's IP address as default gateway -
    > bingo it all worked like a charm. My question is how do I configure
    > without the Router in between the R and the modem?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > Ed

    Are you sure about that netmask value ? Mine is 255.255.224.0 for the
    combination of IP and gateway that I have from Saturn.
    You should be able to ping paradise from the ipcop box if the internet
    interface settings are correct.
    If you are running DHCP from ipcop for the internal network PCs, you might
    have to release and renew the leases by start run winipcfg on 9x boxes or by
    disable / enable on NT 2k XP.

    harry, Dec 3, 2003

  3. Linux Beginner

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 09:26:36 +1300, Linux Beginner wrote:

    > To test my settings I connected a router in between the R and the External
    > modem and used the router's IP address as default gateway - bingo it all
    > worked like a charm. My question is how do I configure without the Router
    > in between the R and the modem?

    OK, I haven't used IPCOP myself, but can you bring up a terminal/command
    line shell on it?

    It would be useful to know the output of ifconfig and the routing table
    contents: netstat -r

    It does sound like the subnet mask and/or the routing table isn't quite
    right.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Dec 3, 2003
  4. Linux Beginner

    SteveM Guest

    Linux Beginner <> wrote in

    SNIP

    > In network config (on the ipcop machine), I used the following
    > DNS1 - ISP's PRI DNS
    > DNS2 - ISP's Sec DNS
    > Default Gateway - Well, I thing this is where the problem is. First I
    > tried the default gateway given by ISP which didn't work, so I tried
    > G's and R's IP address with no luck. If I connect one pc streight to
    > the modem with the above DNS1 + DNS2 and D/W (Provided by ISP) it
    > connects to the net fine.
    >
    > From the local network I am able to ping all three (G,R and O) IP
    > addresses and able to HTTP to IPCOP machine BUT unable to browse the
    > net. I am using external Motoralla cable modem to connect to ISP.
    > Modem is connected to R with RJ45 straight through cable - Tried
    > crossover as well just to check where the problem is.
    >
    > To test my settings I connected a router in between the R and the
    > External modem and used the router's IP address as default gateway -
    > bingo it all worked like a charm. My question is how do I configure
    > without the Router in between the R and the modem?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > Ed

    What is the IP address of the internal interface of the cable modem?
    That will be your gateway for Red.

    I use IPCOP with a Nokia MW1122 DSL Router. The MW1122 gets allocated a
    dynamic IP from Paradise (or telecom, whatever) but its internal IP
    interface is 192.168.0.254. I set this IP addy in IPCOP as the internet
    gateway address. (Do cable modems work in the same way?)

    I think you should be using a crossover cable as well.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Dec 3, 2003
  5. Linux Beginner

    Peter Guest

    On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:07:47 +1300, "harry" <> wrote:

    >Are you sure about that netmask value ? Mine is 255.255.224.0 for the
    >combination of IP and gateway that I have from Saturn.
    >You should be able to ping paradise from the ipcop box if the internet
    >interface settings are correct.
    >If you are running DHCP from ipcop for the internal network PCs, you might
    >have to release and renew the leases by start run winipcfg on 9x boxes or by
    >disable / enable on NT 2k XP.

    255.255.252.0 may very well be correct (it is in my case). It is what
    mask is needed to embrace both the assigned static IP and gateway.
    There should be as many trailing binary zeroes in the mask as in the
    gateway (assuming last gateway figure is 0).

    This just about drove me to tears as the HOWTO on cable modems
    indicates a 255.255.255.0 mask for Saturn (which may have been the
    case for the early allocations).

    Windows must 'tweak' the mask to suit circumstances as a 255.255.255.0
    entered mask works for Windows.

    There may be more wrinkles to this than I am aware of.

    Also 3c509 ISA ethernet cards can be a proper pain to set up as the
    IRQ seems to end up different from what I intend.

    Peter, Dec 4, 2003
  6. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will try these on Saturday and
    post back the results
    ED

    Linux Beginner, Dec 4, 2003
  7. Linux Beginner

    Andy Lawson Guest

    Lux Beginner" <> wrote in message
    > First of all a very big thank you to all who suggested me to try
    > Mandrake and IPCOP. Well I have installed MDK and working my way through.
    >
    > I need some help with IPCOP. I installed IPCOP and got it working at
    > home. It definitely well worth the effort. I then tried this at my
    > friends shop. He has a small network (5PCs + 1 W2K Server with active
    > directory and local DNS).

    I'm using Ipcop on a similar network except there is no Orange interface,
    but I'm using the old COM21 modem. I found the following configuration
    seems to work for me:

    Red interface IP Adress assigned to you by the ISP eg 202.0.x.y
    Green interface 192.168.0.2 for example
    Primary DNS 203.96.152.4 (paradise supplied numbers)
    Secondary DNS 203.96.152.12
    Gateway in my case was 202.0.x.1 on the IPCOP box setup.

    It also appeared to insist on a hostname.

    On my windows boxes I have them set to take their cue from the DHCP server
    in IPCOP

    This results in the Windows boxes using the 192.168.0.2 address as their
    Gateway to the internet. Note the same address is used by my machines for
    DNS as well. I suppose you could give all your machines a static IP address
    and try running the DNS via the Ipcop box. You are aware I take it that you
    can run DHCP and trick it to issue the same IP address to a specific MAC
    address each time the client machine boots.

    I think the main part of the problem might be the use of the local DNS. Try
    settinf the client machines DNS servers to those of the ISP.

    Andy Lawson, Dec 4, 2003
  8. Linux Beginner

    E. Guest

    Linux Beginner wrote:

    > First of all a very big thank you to all who suggested me to try
    > Mandrake and IPCOP. Well I have installed MDK and working my way through.
    >
    > I need some help with IPCOP. I installed IPCOP and got it working at
    > home. It definitely well worth the effort. I then tried this at my
    > friends shop. He has a small network (5PCs + 1 W2K Server with active
    > directory and local DNS).
    >
    > I tried R+O+G configuration.
    > IP address I tried is as follows
    > R - w.x.y.z / 255.255.252.0 + Default gateway - This info is given by
    > ISP (Paradise) ie permanent ip address.
    > G - 192.168.0.2 / 255.255.255.0 - local network
    > O - 10.0.0.1 - For www server - for future use (My idea to have mdk as
    > web server for me to play with)
    >
    > In network config (on the ipcop machine), I used the following
    > DNS1 - ISP's PRI DNS
    > DNS2 - ISP's Sec DNS
    > Default Gateway - Well, I thing this is where the problem is. First I
    > tried the default gateway given by ISP which didn't work, so I tried G's
    > and R's IP address with no luck. If I connect one pc streight to the
    > modem with the above DNS1 + DNS2 and D/W (Provided by ISP) it connects
    > to the net fine.
    >
    > From the local network I am able to ping all three (G,R and O) IP
    > addresses and able to HTTP to IPCOP machine BUT unable to browse the
    > net. I am using external Motoralla cable modem to connect to ISP. Modem
    > is connected to R with RJ45 straight through cable - Tried crossover as
    > well just to check where the problem is.
    >
    > To test my settings I connected a router in between the R and the
    > External modem and used the router's IP address as default gateway -
    > bingo it all worked like a charm. My question is how do I configure
    > without the Router in between the R and the modem?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > Ed

    Try:
    Setting RED as PPPOE rather than static.
    Disabling DHCP on IPCop.
    Don't set DNS on Red, let it be auto-assigned.
    Using DHCP on the 2K server giving:
    Default Gateway as address of IPCop Green
    DNS as address of IPCop green, secondary as address of 2K srv
    WINS address as 2K srv (make sure it's running)
    And it should all work.

    Bear in mind you *may* get a problem with W2K and XP clients trying to
    register with active directory to refresh domain security policy.
    E.

    E., Dec 4, 2003
  9. Linux Beginner

    harry Guest

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:40:28 +0000, E. wrote:

    > Linux Beginner wrote:
    >
    >> First of all a very big thank you to all who suggested me to try
    >> Mandrake and IPCOP. Well I have installed MDK and working my way through.
    >>
    >> I need some help with IPCOP. I installed IPCOP and got it working at
    >> home. It definitely well worth the effort. I then tried this at my
    >> friends shop. He has a small network (5PCs + 1 W2K Server with active
    >> directory and local DNS).
    >>
    >> I tried R+O+G configuration.
    >> IP address I tried is as follows
    >> R - w.x.y.z / 255.255.252.0 + Default gateway - This info is given by
    >> ISP (Paradise) ie permanent ip address.
    >> G - 192.168.0.2 / 255.255.255.0 - local network
    >> O - 10.0.0.1 - For www server - for future use (My idea to have mdk as
    >> web server for me to play with)
    >>
    >> In network config (on the ipcop machine), I used the following
    >> DNS1 - ISP's PRI DNS
    >> DNS2 - ISP's Sec DNS
    >> Default Gateway - Well, I thing this is where the problem is. First I
    >> tried the default gateway given by ISP which didn't work, so I tried G's
    >> and R's IP address with no luck. If I connect one pc streight to the
    >> modem with the above DNS1 + DNS2 and D/W (Provided by ISP) it connects
    >> to the net fine.
    >>
    >> From the local network I am able to ping all three (G,R and O) IP
    >> addresses and able to HTTP to IPCOP machine BUT unable to browse the
    >> net. I am using external Motoralla cable modem to connect to ISP. Modem
    >> is connected to R with RJ45 straight through cable - Tried crossover as
    >> well just to check where the problem is.
    >>
    >> To test my settings I connected a router in between the R and the
    >> External modem and used the router's IP address as default gateway -
    >> bingo it all worked like a charm. My question is how do I configure
    >> without the Router in between the R and the modem?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>
    >> Ed
    >>

    > Try:
    > Setting RED as PPPOE rather than static.
    > Disabling DHCP on IPCop.
    > Don't set DNS on Red, let it be auto-assigned.
    > Using DHCP on the 2K server giving:
    > Default Gateway as address of IPCop Green
    > DNS as address of IPCop green, secondary as address of 2K srv
    > WINS address as 2K srv (make sure it's running)
    > And it should all work.
    >
    > Bear in mind you *may* get a problem with W2K and XP clients trying to
    > register with active directory to refresh domain security policy.
    > E.

    Telstra Saturn cable modems are static, really they are.
    I've used mine with several linux router/firewalls.
    PPOE is an ADSL thing.

    harry, Dec 4, 2003