    where I can find out how to filter someone's access to only the sites I
    choose? thanks in advance, Mark
    , Nov 15, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > This may not be the right group, but can someone help or direct me to
    > where I can find out how to filter someone's access to only the sites I
    > choose? thanks in advance, Mark

    sounds more like a firewall question to me - or even a decent router.

    HTH

    Martin Spencer-Ford
    (TpwUK)
    Martin Spencer-Ford, Nov 15, 2005

  3. Donnie Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > This may not be the right group, but can someone help or direct me to
    > where I can find out how to filter someone's access to only the sites I
    > choose? thanks in advance, Mark

    ###############################
    No, I believe in freedom.
    donnie.
    Donnie, Nov 16, 2005
  4. Winged Guest

    wrote:
    > This may not be the right group, but can someone help or direct me to
    > where I can find out how to filter someone's access to only the sites I
    > choose? thanks in advance, Mark

    Yes, very simple. Use a firewall, block all communications. Then
    create another rule(s) to allow communications only to the addresses you
    specify. Move that rule above the block all rule. Communications will
    only occur to those site(s) you have allowed.
    Winged
    Winged, Nov 16, 2005
  5. Guest

    Winged,
    TX. We have a server based firewall. I guess what you're saying is I
    need to develop a policy at that level? I'm not familiar with the rules
    you're talking about.
    Mark
    , Nov 16, 2005
  6. Guest

    you must not have a real job!
    , Nov 17, 2005
  7. Guest

    you must not have a real job!
    , Nov 17, 2005
  8. wrote:
    > Winged,
    > TX. We have a server based firewall. I guess what you're saying is I
    > need to develop a policy at that level? I'm not familiar with the rules
    > you're talking about.
    > Mark

    Depending on the firewall, all you would realistically set is a filter
    to deny the TLD's, then you can add the limited sites you want in the
    allow filter.

    Most filters work on wildcards susch as *.com *.net *.biz *.info *.co.uk
    etc etc to block the TLD's by type, then you would explicitly allow full
    sites or specific pages with for eg. in allow
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/* would allow anything associated with bbc news.

    HTH
    Martin Spencer-Ford
    (TpwUK)