    net.

    Anyone have any ideas what could be done at this point aside from replacing the firewire card?

    Tony

    Tony, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Tony

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > My friend bought an external Firewire drive. Works on his XP computer. I

    built him a new PC and used
    > a generic IEEE1394 card (Bestport). It shows up in the device manager

    and looks good. When I
    > connect the external drive, it is seen but has a yellow ! next to it. I

    called Maxtor (manufacturer
    > of the drive) and they said that the yelow (!) means that there is a

    conflict. I opened the PC and
    > moved the Firewire card away from the next slot (which has a NIC).

    Turned it back on and the same
    > problem is still here.
    >
    > One note this card does not say Texas Instrument. Is says OHCI

    Compliant. Shouldnt that work? Since
    > the drive works fine in the other PC with the other Firewire card, I

    know the Maxtor is good. It
    > must be something with the BESTPORT IEEE1394 card. I cannot even find

    any info about them on the
    > net.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas what could be done at this point aside from

    replacing the firewire card?

    > Tony

    You havent mentioned anything about loading drivers for it.... The yellow
    mark usually indicates the drivers are not loaded- but you can easily see
    that when you look at the properties. It willl tell you if there is a
    conflict (very rare nowadays) or if the drivers are not yet loaded.

    Ghost, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:19:22 GMT, (Ghost) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> My friend bought an external Firewire drive. Works on his XP computer. I

    >built him a new PC and used
    >> a generic IEEE1394 card (Bestport). It shows up in the device manager

    >and looks good. When I
    >> connect the external drive, it is seen but has a yellow ! next to it. I

    >called Maxtor (manufacturer
    >> of the drive) and they said that the yelow (!) means that there is a

    >conflict. I opened the PC and
    >> moved the Firewire card away from the next slot (which has a NIC).

    >Turned it back on and the same
    >> problem is still here.
    >>
    >> One note this card does not say Texas Instrument. Is says OHCI

    >Compliant. Shouldnt that work? Since
    >> the drive works fine in the other PC with the other Firewire card, I

    >know the Maxtor is good. It
    >> must be something with the BESTPORT IEEE1394 card. I cannot even find

    >any info about them on the
    >> net.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any ideas what could be done at this point aside from

    >replacing the firewire card?
    >>
    >> Tony

    >You havent mentioned anything about loading drivers for it.... The yellow
    >mark usually indicates the drivers are not loaded- but you can easily see
    >that when you look at the properties. It willl tell you if there is a
    >conflict (very rare nowadays) or if the drivers are not yet loaded.

    There are no XP drivers. They are resident in XP. There is not yellow ! next to the firewire card.
    The ! is next to the maxtor drive (Disk Drives). I called maxtor and the girl said that it has to be
    a WIn prob and not a Maxtor one.

    Tony

    Tony, Dec 17, 2003
  4. Tony

    AG Guest

    "Tony" < > wrote in message
    > On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:19:22 GMT, (Ghost) wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> My friend bought an external Firewire drive. Works on his XP computer.

    > >built him a new PC and used
    > >> a generic IEEE1394 card (Bestport). It shows up in the device manager

    > >and looks good. When I
    > >> connect the external drive, it is seen but has a yellow ! next to it.

    > >called Maxtor (manufacturer
    > >> of the drive) and they said that the yelow (!) means that there is a

    > >conflict. I opened the PC and
    > >> moved the Firewire card away from the next slot (which has a NIC).

    > >Turned it back on and the same
    > >> problem is still here.
    > >>
    > >> One note this card does not say Texas Instrument. Is says OHCI

    > >Compliant. Shouldnt that work? Since
    > >> the drive works fine in the other PC with the other Firewire card, I

    > >know the Maxtor is good. It
    > >> must be something with the BESTPORT IEEE1394 card. I cannot even find

    > >any info about them on the
    > >> net.
    > >>
    > >> Anyone have any ideas what could be done at this point aside from

    > >replacing the firewire card?
    > >>
    > >> Tony

    > >You havent mentioned anything about loading drivers for it.... The

    yellow
    > >mark usually indicates the drivers are not loaded- but you can easily see
    > >that when you look at the properties. It willl tell you if there is a
    > >conflict (very rare nowadays) or if the drivers are not yet loaded.

    > There are no XP drivers. They are resident in XP. There is not yellow !

    next to the firewire card.
    > The ! is next to the maxtor drive (Disk Drives). I called maxtor and the

    girl said that it has to be
    > a WIn prob and not a Maxtor one.
    >
    > Tony

    Will anything else work with the card? That would be my first test.
    AG

    AG, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I thought of that but the guy has no other firewire devices. I may have to bring my video camera to
    test it out.

    Tony

    Tony, Dec 19, 2003