    Please post to the group!

    Does anyone know a Web site that has information on simple
    question stuff like this?

    Paul & Laurie, May 6, 2005

  2. Paul & Laurie

    Paul Furman Guest

    Paul & Laurie wrote:
    > Hi, I have taken a number of photos under Mercury-vapor lighting.
    > They have an orange tint, is their a filter or program to remove this
    > before I take the picture or print it.
    >
    > Thank you for any information on the subject.
    >
    > Please post to the group!
    >
    > Does anyone know a Web site that has information on simple
    > question stuff like this?

    I've seen this question asked and the answer was not optimistic.
    Apparently there is a very limited spectrum in those lights, probably
    B&W is the best bet.

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1

    Paul Furman, May 6, 2005

  3. Paul & Laurie

    Jim Guest

    "Paul & Laurie" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have taken a number of photos under Mercury-vapor lighting.
    > They have an orange tint, is their a filter or program to remove this
    > before I take the picture or print it.

    This is strange; most of the ones I have taken show a sickly green tint.
    However, yes people do make and sell filters for mercury vapor lighting.
    B&H sells them.
    As for removing the tint after the deed has been done, photoshop can make
    some improvement.
    As has been mentioned, the best solution is to convert the image to black
    and white.
    Jim

    Jim, May 6, 2005
  4. Paul & Laurie

    jimkramer Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > "Paul & Laurie" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I have taken a number of photos under Mercury-vapor lighting.
    >> They have an orange tint, is their a filter or program to remove this
    >> before I take the picture or print it.

    > This is strange; most of the ones I have taken show a sickly green tint.
    > However, yes people do make and sell filters for mercury vapor lighting.
    > B&H sells them.
    > As for removing the tint after the deed has been done, photoshop can make
    > some improvement.
    > As has been mentioned, the best solution is to convert the image to black
    > and white.
    > Jim

    I believe he means sodium not mercury, orange instead of green and an even
    narrower band of color rendition.
    http://www.lookbefore.wading-in.net/Personal/Cardinal/IMG_9721.htm

    That's got them all; the sickening green of the mercury, the nauseating
    orange of sodium and the stark white of metal halide.

    Jim

    jimkramer, May 6, 2005
  5. Paul & Laurie

    Jim Guest

    "jimkramer" <> wrote in message
    > "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Paul & Laurie" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi, I have taken a number of photos under Mercury-vapor lighting.
    > >> They have an orange tint, is their a filter or program to remove this
    > >> before I take the picture or print it.

    > > This is strange; most of the ones I have taken show a sickly green tint.
    > > However, yes people do make and sell filters for mercury vapor lighting.
    > > B&H sells them.
    > > As for removing the tint after the deed has been done, photoshop can

    make
    > > some improvement.
    > > As has been mentioned, the best solution is to convert the image to

    black
    > > and white.
    > > Jim
    > >

    > I believe he means sodium not mercury, orange instead of green and an even
    > narrower band of color rendition.
    > http://www.lookbefore.wading-in.net/Personal/Cardinal/IMG_9721.htm
    >
    > That's got them all; the sickening green of the mercury, the nauseating
    > orange of sodium and the stark white of metal halide.
    >
    > Jim

    I just looked at the Kodak Photographic Filters Handbook. Looking at the
    table on page 41, my guess is that
    30R + 30M + 1 stop has some chance of fixing the problem.

    The OP should try duplicating these filters with color balance settings in
    Photoshop. I am going to leave it to him to determine how to change both
    magenta and red.

    Another solution (for the future) might by K200 pushed 1 stop. The pushing
    creates a radical change in color balance that sometimes matches these
    lights.
    Jim

    Jim, May 7, 2005
  6. Paul & Laurie

    JohnR66 Guest

    > Hi, I have taken a number of photos under Mercury-vapor lighting.
    > They have an orange tint, is their a filter or program to remove this
    > before I take the picture or print it.
    >
    > Thank you for any information on the subject.
    >
    > Please post to the group!
    >
    > Does anyone know a Web site that has information on simple
    > question stuff like this?

    I think you mean sodium vapor.

    Here are some common HID light sources:

    Mercury vapor (bare bulb) Looks blue-ish white to the eye. has virtually no
    red light in the spectrum. Poor CRI (color rendering index) Looks very green
    on daylight film

    Mercury vapor phosphor coated bulb. Looks white (similar to CW fluorescent).
    improved CRI. greenish cast on film.

    Metal halide. varies, but CRI is better than mercury. Produces much more
    light per watt than mercury. In the best cases, no color correction is
    needed at all.

    Low pressure sodium. Monochromatic light. Yellow orange color. ultra high
    efficiency. Cannot be corrected with filters.

    High pressure sodium. Orange-pinkish color. Becoming the standard for street
    lighting due to cost/effeciency. Very difficult to color correct if not
    futile.

    HTH, John

    JohnR66, May 7, 2005
  7. Paul & Laurie

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Paul Furman <> wrote:

    >I've seen this question asked and the answer was not optimistic.
    >Apparently there is a very limited spectrum in those lights, probably
    >B&W is the best bet.

    I have a pair of prism-glasses. Pretty neat for getting an idea of the
    spectrum of a light source.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>

    , May 7, 2005