    check to make sure the ethernet card is seated well in the old computer? Or
    is it a programming issue? Please help.
    Reet
    =?Utf-8?B?UmVldA==?=, Oct 21, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UmVldA==?=

    Gary R. Guest

    You need to install the driver for your ethernet card...that's probably why
    the 'not connected' message. You'll have to locate where the files were
    unzipped to, and go there from "My Computer" or Windows explorer. Open the
    folder where the driver files are, and look for a 'Setup' or Setup.exe file.
    If it's there click and run it.

    If there is no setup.exe, right click on My Computer, choose properties,
    Hardware tab, and Device Manager button. Find Network adapters (the card
    may already have a ! next to it), right click the ethernet card and choose
    update driver. You will then need to direct it to the files you unzipped.

    If you don't see the card under 'network adapters', it could be listed in
    other places...look for a yellow ! next to something, that will probably be
    it. Once you update the driver, it will appear where it should.

    Gary

    Gary R., Oct 21, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UmVldA==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Oct 21, 2004
  4. I have installed the new XP driver for my ethernet card and after allowing
    the installation to go to windows update I get the message that the driver
    that is installed is the latest version. However I still get the message
    that "Windows was unable to find any drivers for this device". And my
    Network Connections on the wireless notebook is still showing that the LAN
    has a "network cable disconnected". I have made exceptions in Windows
    Firewall and Norton firewall on both computers to allow the IP number of the
    other computer. The wired computer is able to ping itself, the router, and
    the wireless computer, but the new wireless computer is not able to ping the
    wired computer. On View Network Computers in My Network places, the new
    computer can see both computers but on the old computer I get the message
    that the Workgroup is not accessible. In View Network Connections on the old
    computer there is no WLAN listed and the LAN does not show a cable being
    disconnected. If anyone can make sense of any of this, I will appreciate it
    so much!

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVldA==?=, Oct 22, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?UmVldA==?=

    Jim Guest

    Turn off the windows XP firewall completely

    Jim, Oct 23, 2004
  6. Thanks everybody for all your help! To try to make a long story short--I
    uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless adapter in the new notebook and
    after some help from Gateway to reset things to be able to re-connect to the
    network, I reconfigured the router, used the wizards to configure the LAN and
    WLAN on each computer, turned Windows firewall back on (with exceptions for
    the other computer), and MAGICALLY--everything began working perfectly, even
    all files, hard drives, and disk players of both computers can be used by
    both computers! And I didn't even have to ever "map" any drives--all I had
    done was to permit individually each drive to be shared. So, all I can tell
    you is that it REALLY IS POSSIBLE for file and printer sharing to work
    perfectly, even with 2 firewalls, MAC filtering, WPA encryption, and no SSID
    broadcast. I could not possibly walk someone through ALL the steps I took,
    but if it would help anyone, I would be happy to share info about my present
    settings (ending settings).

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVldA==?=, Oct 26, 2004