Need Help With DSL And Win98SE

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pete Holland Jr., Apr 22, 2004.

  1. Hey, everybody!

    My dad is having problems with his computer, I'm thoroughly
    stumped, so I'm coming to you for aid.

    My dad recently got DSL and I, lucky duck, got to hook it
    up. The computer in question is a custom job that is about
    five years old. It runs Win98SE, has 256M of memory, and a
    900Mhz CPU. Because of the time, it did not have a
    broadband adaptor. With DSL, I had to pick one up for him.

    Now the computer is screwed up something fierce. I put in
    the card and loaded the drivers, so far so good. But now,
    it wants the Win98SE disc to copy some files. The box will
    not search the disc. It gives me options to look in the C
    drives and the basic F drive, but nothing else (since this
    has happened, the E drive, the CD burner, has vanished from
    Explorer). Also, when the computer starts up, while it is
    still in real mode (verifying DMI data pool and so on), it
    says the Startup.int is missing some files:

    vnetsup.vxd
    vredir.vxd
    dfs.vxd

    After skipping them, the computer continues to boot. Before
    the Windows desktop appears, a box appears, with the header
    "Windows Networking" and saying it can't find msnp32.dll.
    Now, the box asking for the Win98SE disc haven't appeared again.

    1) Is there a way to copy these missing files directly off
    the Win98SE disc using Explorer and, if so, where do I put them?

    2) Will simply removing the PCI card on the System menu
    under the control panel restart the installation process?

    3) How do I get Windows to look elsewhere on the CD for the
    files it needs, or where do I find them? I simply clicked
    cancel instead of skip file in hopes that I could come back
    later. The lack of boxes now is confusing.

    God, Linux has spoiled me. I plugged the modem into my
    laptop and it spotted it right away.

    Dobre utka,
    Pete Holland Jr.
    Pete Holland Jr., Apr 22, 2004

  2. > 1) Is there a way to copy these missing files directly off
    > the Win98SE disc using Explorer and, if so, where do I put them?
    >
    > 2) Will simply removing the PCI card on the System menu
    > under the control panel restart the installation process?
    >
    > 3) How do I get Windows to look elsewhere on the CD for the
    > files it needs, or where do I find them? I simply clicked
    > cancel instead of skip file in hopes that I could come back
    > later. The lack of boxes now is confusing.
    >
    > God, Linux has spoiled me. I plugged the modem into my
    > laptop and it spotted it right away.
    >
    > Dobre utka,
    > Pete Holland Jr.

    U can copy the cab files from the 98 disc then browse to where you copyed
    them to.
    They may already be on your pc. check for a cab folder in c:\windows or
    c:\windows\system c:\windows\system32 or use find files and folders.
    remove the entry in the device manager, restart and the installation will
    start again.

    Gaz
    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Apr 22, 2004

  3. Pete Holland Jr.

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 02:17:49 -0500, "Pete Holland Jr." <>
    wrote:

    >Hey, everybody!
    >
    >My dad is having problems with his computer, I'm thoroughly
    >stumped, so I'm coming to you for aid.
    >
    >My dad recently got DSL and I, lucky duck, got to hook it
    >up. The computer in question is a custom job that is about
    >five years old. It runs Win98SE, has 256M of memory, and a
    >900Mhz CPU. Because of the time, it did not have a
    >broadband adaptor. With DSL, I had to pick one up for him.
    >
    >Now the computer is screwed up something fierce. I put in
    >the card and loaded the drivers, so far so good. But now,
    >it wants the Win98SE disc to copy some files. The box will
    >not search the disc. It gives me options to look in the C
    >drives and the basic F drive, but nothing else (since this
    >has happened, the E drive, the CD burner, has vanished from
    >Explorer). Also, when the computer starts up, while it is
    >still in real mode (verifying DMI data pool and so on), it
    >says the Startup.int is missing some files:
    >
    >vnetsup.vxd
    >vredir.vxd
    >dfs.vxd
    >
    >After skipping them, the computer continues to boot. Before
    >the Windows desktop appears, a box appears, with the header
    >"Windows Networking" and saying it can't find msnp32.dll.
    >Now, the box asking for the Win98SE disc haven't appeared again.
    >
    >1) Is there a way to copy these missing files directly off
    >the Win98SE disc using Explorer and, if so, where do I put them?
    >
    >2) Will simply removing the PCI card on the System menu
    >under the control panel restart the installation process?
    >
    >3) How do I get Windows to look elsewhere on the CD for the
    >files it needs, or where do I find them? I simply clicked
    >cancel instead of skip file in hopes that I could come back
    >later. The lack of boxes now is confusing.
    >
    >God, Linux has spoiled me. I plugged the modem into my
    >laptop and it spotted it right away.
    >
    >Dobre utka,
    >Pete Holland Jr.

    Copy the "Win98" folder from the Windows 98 CD to the hard drive.
    Now click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, "Hardware" tab, "Device
    Manager" button.
    Look for the NIC you just installed and delete it from the list.
    Shut down and restart Windows.
    Ignore the error messages during startup, and when it finds the NIC again,
    reinstall the drivers for it. Now when it asks for the Win98 CD, point it
    to the "C:\Win98" folder you copied off the CD.
    That should repair all your errors.
    Unk, Apr 23, 2004
  4. Pete Holland Jr.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <> wrote in message
    > > 1) Is there a way to copy these missing files directly off
    > > the Win98SE disc using Explorer and, if so, where do I put them?
    > >
    > > 2) Will simply removing the PCI card on the System menu
    > > under the control panel restart the installation process?
    > >
    > > 3) How do I get Windows to look elsewhere on the CD for the
    > > files it needs, or where do I find them? I simply clicked
    > > cancel instead of skip file in hopes that I could come back
    > > later. The lack of boxes now is confusing.
    > >
    > > God, Linux has spoiled me. I plugged the modem into my
    > > laptop and it spotted it right away.
    > >
    > > Dobre utka,
    > > Pete Holland Jr.
    > >

    > U can copy the cab files from the 98 disc then browse to where you copyed
    > them to.
    > They may already be on your pc. check for a cab folder in c:\windows or
    > c:\windows\system c:\windows\system32 or use find files and folders.
    > remove the entry in the device manager, restart and the installation will
    > start again.
    >
    > Gaz

    The "default" OEM location for windows 98 CAB files was
    c:\windows\options\cabs - I've always put them there too just to be
    consistent.

    Toolman
    Toolman Tim, Apr 23, 2004